Using P3 on a boat?

Reaction score
Anyone been shooting off a boat? How has the P3 gone initialising? Any issues with the boat bobbing around affecting IMUs or anything?

I did this today for the first time. I turned on the tx, had my buddy turn on the P3, I then turned on DJI go app. Once I had done all my preflight checks, I had him hold the p3 above his head by the landing gear. I armed the motors and started to apply throttle. My buddy released the P3 and I was airborne. On the return, I just hand caught the P3. Everything worked well.

Reactions: wat17 and bobmyers
I do the same thing all the time from a canoe - have my wife hand launch and catch. Never an issue. Lots of posts on here about other boat-based flights too.

Reactions: wat17
i did the same while sailing (42feet sailboat, full sails open, slow wind slow boat speed). It was exciting and fashinating. I didnt calibrate nothing before flying at it was a perfect flight.

Reactions: iquadtography
I don't think I would take off from a deck just because there could be metal in it. Hand release seems to work fine.

If you're flying from a boat keep in mind it's not a bad id w a to set a home point on land if you can because unless the boat is anchored, it makes the take off location no good

I flew from my 21' outboard boat. It has a long front deck, I was able to take off and land on it. A friend drove my boat at idle speed to change our position from time to time. I updated the home point if we moved significantly. I did not do any calibrations on the boat, did that on land before we left the dock. I filmed an antique boat for another friend. At this time, I had not learned to fly backwards or sideways yet while following a subject. Two flights, no issues. You'll see my blue & white boat off to the right in one of the early shots.

Reactions: Bambola and dkyacht
That's really a nice video! Congratulations... looks professional... may I ask you which VIDEO EDITOR do you use? Can you recommend it to me? I m quite good at pc, not a newbie.

That's really a nice video! Congratulations... looks professional... may I ask you which VIDEO EDITOR do you use? Can you recommend it to me? I m quite good at pc, not a newbie.

Thank you! It's only the second video I've ever done....still lots to learn.

I used Photoshop CC for the editing. I watched a couple of tutorials on how to use it on youtube and then started using it. Took a little while to get used to the interface. Cool thing is if you use PS for images and are familiar with adjustment layers, it works the same for video. Good luck!

Really? I did not know Photoshop could handle video. Or do you mean Premiere CC?

Very good video btw. But why the low resolution (720)?

Yes, Photoshop can handle video. It's no where as powerful as Premiere, but you can do basic edits and adjustments, add audio, titles, transitions, etc.

I shot it in 1080 at 60, but when it was time to upload, I was traveling and didn't have a fast internet connection so I used 720 because the file was significantly smaller. The boat owner is using the full resolution video on a DVD player.

I gave this a try last week. I decided to takeoff from shore so if something went wrong, it would go back and land there. Did an air grab to retrieve it on the boat. Not so easy with a stiff wind. It took me a couple of tries. Ordered a Getterback that night.

The video is well, not so good. I was scared to death it was going to end up in the lake. My wife was even more afraid and kept telling me that's enough. I was finally calming down! Ha! So it's jerky, terrible pans, and all around not great, oh, and the sun was an issue because of poor planning. But it was fun as hell!

My daughter put this together in iMovie in about 15 minutes, it's too bad I didn't give her something better to work with.

I gave this a try last week. I decided to takeoff from shore so if something went wrong, it would go back and land there. Did an air grab to retrieve it on the boat. Not so easy with a stiff wind. It took me a couple of tries. Ordered a Getterback that night.

The video is well, not so good. I was scared to death it was going to end up in the lake. My wife was even more afraid and kept telling me that's enough. I was finally calming down! Ha! So it's jerky, terrible pans, and all around not great, oh, and the sun was an issue because of poor planning. But it was fun as hell!

My daughter put this together in iMovie in about 15 minutes, it's too bad I didn't give her something better to work with.

Looks good!

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik