Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

1. FlipFlap

I described my story in different post

Dealing with DJI

I just want to warn those who are using third party app (like Litchi) that according to DJI it Voids Warranty.

Unfortunately I did not get any respond from Litchi yet but DJI send me email after my P4 flew away into the tree

Funny thing is I did not find any information about that in Warranty Specs

It is shameful that DJI try to take any responsibility for their product. If there is a clause about using third party app please let me know.
    I could not find anything on Litchi site as well.

Honestly I don't believe for a second that Litchi is responsible for fly-away but if DJI will void warranty such a information should be presented to buyers of Litchi App

#1 FlipFlap, Sep 1, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2016
  2. neven

So, not only that Litchi is "authenticated" app which uses DJI SDK, you can get warranty repair if using "unauthenticated" app if you crash because of DJI hardware problem? Am I reading this right?

3. apex1

Based on the language you quoted above, it is easy to see why using a third-party app does not meet the requirement of "as intended by the manufacturer." It is not a legal stretch for DJI to take the position that it sold you a drone with the application it intended you to use to fly it. I am not suggesting you have to like that interpretation, but certainly the language is there.

4. FlipFlap

It doesn't say anything snout using software other than DJI. It only refers to parts. One way or another anything regarding using third party software should be posted.

Sent from my XT1585 using PhantomPilots mobile app

5. GMack

I found this in the FAQ's for AutoPilot:

Does using Autopilot void my warranty?

From DJI: Simply flying a DJI aircraft using a third party app does not void the warranty. However, if the pilot crashes or causes damage that is not due to mechanical failure, then it’s their responsibility to cover at least some if not all of the estimated repair cost.

Juergen B likes this.
  6. Thomas.

Easy enough to understand and totally clear, isn't it? And it totally confirms to what I know from German law.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app (living near Cologne, Germany)

7. FlipFlap

In an email DJI informed me that I'm responsible for covering cost of the repairs because I was using Nitchi during this faithful flight. I've send them logs and aircraft. They could really read data but still refused.

8. GMack

Did they quote a cost of repairing it?

Curious if the repair price is lower than if they said, "So sorry for your crash. Please buy another at list price since you didn't use an approved app (or whatever)." Some gear I've seen gets a "Beyond economical repair" response from a dropped accident (Nikon.).

9. FlipFlap

It is just $200.00. For me is more about principle of respecting warranty and professional customer service. It's more about finding problem of malfunction thank blaming user of inappropriate operating. It's almost three weeks from accident and I'm not any closer to find a reason for fly away.

10. JCS9118

If you have the time and money, I think you have a case. They should be honoring the warranty based on their own terms. If you really wanted to, you could sue them in small claims court. That said, I really doubt it is worth your time, money, or effort.

Joe

11. FlipFlap

Final words from DJI about my case

12. neven

Ok, since you are not required to supply flight log from tablet when you send Phantom for warranty repair then solution is not telling them that you used Litchi.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

13. RJ_Make

Thanks for the information FlipFlap. It's a shame the warranty provisions are written in such a terrible way, at least it was a 200.00 repair, and not more..

I have one question though, once you get you aircraft back will you continue to use Litchi?

14. FlipFlap

I don't know yet. First I'll record aircraft behavior and check reactions. Litchi has some features I like a lot on the other hand dealing with DJI customer support is scary perspective. They just don't give a crap.