Using Gopro 4

Reaction score
I purchased a gopro 4 black. Could someone point me to the best setup for using a gopro 4 with FPV. I have a phantom vision plus right now. I would like to be able to have telemetry and shutter while it the air if possible. Doesn't necessarily have to be a phantom platform bit that is what I am used to flying so it may help. Thanks for any help and sorry if this has been discussed a million times

You need to get a P2 with gimbal, transmitter, monitor/receiver and IOSD mini. Not for a P2V+ I'm afraid.

IrishSights said:
You need to get a P2 with gimbal, transmitter, monitor/receiver and IOSD mini. Not for a P2V+ I'm afraid.
Ok so a regular P2. Can the phantom transmitter be used? Zenmuse H3-3D gimbal. How much range will this setup achieve?

There is no video transmitter on the P2, you need to buy and fit. Range will depend on the quality and spec of the transmitter and more importantly the antennas at both ends. Mine cost around 70 GBP and I got enough range for my purposes. I have no need for long range but I did go 1.5km once, however I know of others with the same kit as me who have gone much, much further. I stay LOS
EDIT. My spec is in my sig.

IrishSights said:
There is no video transmitter on the P2, you need to buy and fit. Range will depend on the quality and spec of the transmitter and more importantly the antennas at both ends. Mine cost around 70 GBP and I got enough range for my purposes. I have no need for long range but I did go 1.5km once, however I know of others with the same kit as me who have gone much, much further. I stay LOS

Thanks for the help

IrishSights said:

Will this setup allow starting stopping video and taking pics with the Gopro?

brorex said:
IrishSights said:

Will this setup allow starting stopping video and taking pics with the Gopro?

Nope. You need to press record before taking off. Communications is one way. The 5.8 ghz video transmitter from the phantom+gopro is only a downlink. There is no way you can send information back to the go pro unless maybe going down the light bridge path. The light bridge path will also require some sort of programming to send commands to the gopro. Unfortunately, the go pro can only receive instructions wirelessly via ip 10.5.5.X. And also unfortunately the wifi is 2.4GHz and may conflict with controls of the phantom that may cause fly-aways.

You can always look into the simultaneous video+stills mode on the Gopro 3+ BE and GoPro 4. At the correct resolution (with protunes off), It can capture (not grab) 7 or 12 mp stills at nominated timed intervals.

IrishSights said:
Not for a P2V+ I'm afraid.

dronexpert.nl has a solution to swap out (and back and forth quickly if you're really into that) between the vision+ camera and a zenmuse + gopro, presumably based off that work in the rcgroups thread linked below. though after buying it and the requisite accessories and the zenmuse, you might be better off just getting another phantom 2

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aTpuFLdJ2hU[/youtube]

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik