Using gasoline inversion generator

What about a big 12v deep cycle battery and a DC power inverter? About $100 and rechargeable.

a $1000 generator to recharge batteries for Phantom that weights more than the Phantom and all of its batteries.... hmmm................

I'm not sure what your point is. That's what good generators cost. They do more than just charge flight batteries, of course.

Guys, all you need is a solar panel and a 12v sealed 12ah battery :) with a solar charger

Then a cheap 300 watt inverter.

Clean, quiet, simple and using natures resources!

Less than $200

Battery $25

Solar pannel $50-$70

Solar Charger $20

Inverter $50-$70

Last edited:
This discussion has been interesting. The only thing I know about sine wave is it will likely be the last thing done prior to walking thru those fiery gates of hell. Just wanted to make sure the method of recharge would not cause the lipo to fail 300 ft up towards those pearly gates. DJIs car battery sounds very practical but could it cause a starting problem for the car and out In the wild due to operator error. Also, the issue of the amount of energy used to haul the generator or a second high power 12v battery plus inverter and charger for the battery makes me realize my simple question does not have a best answer.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Guys, all you need is a solar panel and a 12v sealed 6ah battery :) with a solar charger

Then a cheap 300 watt inverter.

Clean, quiet, simple and using natures resources!

Less than $200

That combo is not going to work very well without a high power solar panel, since one P4 battery is nearly 6 Ah itself. So if the solar panel can deliver over 100 W to power the DJI car kit then the 12 V battery will be able to buffer the supply. If it can't then it doesn't help that much since you won't even get one charge out of the 12 V battery.

That combo is not going to work very well without a high power solar panel, since one P4 battery is nearly 6 Ah itself. So if the solar panel can deliver over 100 W to power the DJI car kit then the 12 V battery will be able to buffer the supply. If it can't then it doesn't help that much since you won't even get one charge out of the 12 V battery.

Sure you will,

12v 12ah battery: 1 hr rate: 7.2A (7.2Ah)

The battery charger is only 5.7ah at 17.5 volts

You would just get 1 charge :)

Sure you will,

12v 12ah battery: 1 hr rate: 7.2A (7.2Ah)

The battery charger is only 5.7ah at 17.5 volts

You would just get 1 charge :)

The battery has enough stored energy in theory, but in practice it will fail for two reasons:
  1. Charging is not 100% efficient.
  2. As the 12 V battery drains its voltage will drop below the minimum voltage for the vehicle charger (DC - DC converter), and the charger will shut down before all the energy is transferred.

Reactions: maseman88
The battery has enough stored energy in theory, but in practice it will fail for two reasons:
  1. Charging is not 100% efficient.
  2. As the 12 V battery drains its voltage will drop below the minimum voltage for the vehicle charger (DC - DC converter), and the charger will shut down before all the energy is transferred.
Yeah, plus if you have an inverter you have excess energy used to convert back to DC.

Ok Upgrade the battery to a 12v 18ah Sealed lead acid....then you have room and the battery is still lighter than a car battery.

Yeah, plus if you have an inverter you have excess energy used to convert back to DC.

Ok Upgrade the battery to a 12v 18ah Sealed lead acid....then you have room and the battery is still lighter than a car battery.

That would do it. Although you could just run the same solar system with your vehicle battery unless you are hiking, in which case the generator is not an option anyway. In that case a high-power solar panel without a battery would be the lightest solution.

Reactions: Stealthmatt
That would do it. Although you could just run the same solar system with your vehicle battery unless you are hiking, in which case the generator is not an option anyway. In that case a high-power solar panel without a battery would be the lightest solution.

Actually that is a good idea!

Hi alokbhargava -- based on your qualifications how bout using an Energizer power converter with a stand alone 12v marine battery? Would the power be clean enough for charging? Seen some negative comments regarding this kind of setup. Believe it would be cheaper and greener.

Energizer Power converters generate modified square wave and call it as modified sine wave. These are good for lamp and heating loads. When used with motors and transformers create little more heating into them resulting into lower ratings.

If you are using it on DJI charger, use 100 W charger. Even if it is derated to 90W, it would be still good enough to charge batteries. Ideal charger would be multi battery charger (blue).

I didn't know the battery idea would get some many responses. To address a few points. I know that DC to DC is horribly inefficient. Someone said a 12v -12Ah battery, those are a joke, I meant a car sized battery, I use a deep cycle 12v to power my radio, 250 watt sub amp, lights and 120v inverter for Christmas/Halloween lights in my golf cart and it works well. I know that charging from a vehicle is better, I know that there are many reasons that a big 12v battery and inverter are poor ways to power a DJI battery charger. The truth is that you could even do something along the lines of pairing two 12v batteries in series and eliminate the inverter, add solar panels, to charge, etc. It depends on your situation. I was picturing the person wanting to bring a generator as someone who needs to charge batteries when he is spending extended periods in the wild. Maybe at a fishing or hunting camp, camping outdoors etc. That would be a good use of a battery/solar arrangement. You could charge all your batteries, and go out for photos. While you are away the solar system is topping back off your 12v battery(s). It is quiet, eco friendly, and uses no gas, oil, etc. PLUS it is cheap as hell. The little Honda generators are the best on the planet, small quiet efficient but cost a $H^% Load of money. This setup would be in the $100 range. If you have electricity nearby you could bring a little 12v 1 amp wall wart to slowly charge the 12v battery. The battery can also be a few of those little SLA 12v-10Ah ones you find in UPS power back-ups, etc. They wont spill and a few can be carried easily.

If it was me I'd buy the 1000W Honda generator and an extra 100W DJI charger. Reasons:
1. It's a relatively small and light generator
2. It's a super quiet generator, amazingly quiet
3. I can charge two batteries in an hour
4. I've always wanted one for backup when camping, however never needed one yet.

This is just me. Others may want the 2000W, however the frequency of needing that much power is so seldom for me that the light weight of the 1000W generator far outweighs the disadvantages of the added cost, weight and bulk of the 2000W unit. It's simply less hassle imho. The Yamaha unit is good too, nothing wrong with that choice either.

Last edited:
Any advice per buying/using a gasoline inversion generator (1000-2000w) for charging P3s/P4 lipo's in the wild?
I rep a brand called CaseCruzer and we sell UAV mobile charging stations specifically for this - 110v and 12v. I have one myself and love it. No need to lug a generator around plus all your stuff. Here it is -
9d1929475610164bbe40939f79eefe13.jpg
1ccee1098f6c05f62ad52daa066c742f.jpg

I rep a brand called CaseCruzer and we sell UAV mobile charging stations specifically for this - 110v and 12v. I have one myself and love it. No need to lug a generator around plus all your stuff. Here it is -

That's a pretty slick setup, provides protection, portability and power, all that's required is the free time from the kids to fly!

no pricing on their site... gotta love it.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adrie