Using flightpaths - repeating same path

Reaction score
Kind of a crazy question but.....Is their a way to fly a repeated path 4,5,6 or more times? I would like to fly a path, then once a week or once a month have the phantom fly the same path. Same height, speed, same camera / gimbal angle. My goal is to fly a path or say a 6 month month period or maybe a year. Then take video and use the first 10 seconds from the first flight, the next 10 seconds from the second flight and so on. So I could make a video of a one mile path showing all 4 seasons...... I know I can do this in waypoints but will that keep the camera headed the same way time after time?

Set up a waypoint mission and save it.
That will only allow the path, height, and speed to be reproduced. DJI GO will not be able to reproduce the camera angle.

Reactions: FASTFJR
I don't think so. If you're planning on keeping your Phantom facing forward the entire time (not yawing at any point during the mission) and set the camera to the proper angle before each mission, you could do it with DJI GO.

Edit:
It looks like you could do it with Litchi (if you have an Android device). See more details here. They are also developing an iOS version of Litchi, but I'm not sure when it'll be released.

I don't think so. If you're planning on keeping your Phantom facing forward the entire time (not yawing at any point during the mission) and set the camera to the proper angle before each mission, you could do it with DJI GO.

Edit:
It looks like you could do it with Litchi (if you have an Android device). See more details here. They are also developing an iOS version of Litchi, but I'm not sure when it'll be released.

Thanks for the info!

If you use the Litchi app (for Android, iOS version just started beta) then you can easily create a GS mission and fly it the same every single time since it's based upon preplanned waypoints and settings for altitude, POIs, camera angle, etc...

I have a neighborhood survey GS mission built that flies the same way every time... used it to get video of tree color changes this year over several weeks...

If you use the Litchi app (for Android, iOS version just started beta) then you can easily create a GS mission and fly it the same every single time since it's based upon preplanned waypoints and settings for altitude, POIs, camera angle, etc...

I have a neighborhood survey GS mission built that flies the same way every time... used it to get video of tree color changes this year over several weeks...

Thats great news and I just saw its now for iOS or in Beta

Aitrnest sounds like what I am looking for, too. I am also interested in flying several scheduled flights over a six month period.

I tried DJI Go, but the waypoints missions kept scrolling off and I could not see how to save them as files for later recall.

Reactions: Justin Miller
That will only allow the path, height, and speed to be reproduced. DJI GO will not be able to reproduce the camera angle.

I'm not sure that is correct.

When you run a waypoint mission in DJI Go, you have a few options for camera
-consistent with record
-consistent with heading (? - can't remember exact wording)
-free

Choosing the first option, the camera angle will be the same as when you recorded the waypoint. In-between waypoints, the camera angle will interpolate between the two.

Last weekend I set up and ran a waypoint mission doing just that. (With the same basic intent at the OP). Fly to waypoint 1, set camera angle, record waypoint. Repeat for all waypoints. When running the mission, the camera angle was reproduced.

You just have to make sure you select "consistent with record" when you run the mission. Nice thing is that you can also re-run the mission on "free" and have control over the camera. It provides a nice flexibility.

I tried DJI Go, but the waypoints missions kept scrolling off and I could not see how to save them as files for later recall.

Cataloging waypoint missions is a very weak point in the DJI Go app. It auto-saves the most recent three.

I cannot access the app right now. However, there is a "star" item near the top right of one of the screens. I believe you may have to first load the waypoint mission to access that. When you click on the "star" it becomes yellow (filled in vs outlined).

After that, when you call up "favorite missions" that mission will simply show a date/time and no longer have "(Auto Save)" after the name.

To delete a favorite or auto-saved mission, left swipe it on the "favorite missions" list.

This works in iOS. I don't know about Android.

Mission Planner (FPV Camera iOS waypoints app) sounds capable to do this. You may setup a mission with multiple targets (with different height) and save the mission, then fly the mission as many times as you like in 4 seasons. The app controls flight path and camera tilt aiming at targets automatically.

Check out the video in Mission Planner (FPV Camera – iOS Waypoints App) Beta Testing | DJI Phantom Forum

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20