Using Failsafe, to return to Homepoint from several miles?

Re: Using Failsafe, to return to Homepoint from several mile

SlackerATX said:
RCRookie said:
SlackerATX said:
I don't think the home point is set until it is off the ground. Take off where you want to set home and do a hand landing and it should work.

Where did you find this ?...I'm under the impression a "rapid 10 green flashes" indicate "Home Point Recorded"
Do you know differently ? Please let us know.

I don't know anything really, just from what I've experienced. I once set the phantom down in a park waiting for green satellite indicator and got the green after a bit. I then picked it up to move it about 20 feet away from a group of kids that came around. After flying a bit I lost sight and turned off control to activate go home and it came back to the take off point rather than the place I initially placed it.

I was still 100 in the air when I took control back so it's hard to judge location, but I do remember thinking it seems to have gone back to the pace I moved it to. I just took that to mean it might wait till you've got 5-10 feet of altitude before activating home point. It's all anecdotal and I haven't tested the theory since.

That's a little disconcerting for the outcomes of this test....If the Phantom re-acquires Its Home Point arbitrarily after acquiring it on IMU warm up and subsequent GPS Locks, then this wont work. I will test some this afternoon if I get a chance

Uncle Meat said:
HOLY CRAP I THOUGHT I HAD LOST MT PHANTOM!!!!
...there is traffic everywhere, there is even 2 baseball games going on across the street with a bunch of kids.

Guys - lets be real careful with this. The thought of Phantom landing among a bunch of kids while the pilot is a mile away cannot be good. Or landing on a busy road. Or hitting someone's home. We don't need the give the FAA more reason for more regulations.

That being said, I might try it myself, but in an area with no risks of injury or damage to anything but the PV itself.

From page 15 of the NAZA-M Quick Start Guide v1.22:

Home-point: Before takeoff, current position of multi-rotor will be saved as home-point by MC automatically when you start the motors for the first time after 6 or more GPS satellites are found (red light blinks once or no blinking) for 10 seconds.

Why don't people first try this in a field where you simply pick up the Phantom and walk 20 steps after having set HP and set it down again and fly and then see to which spot it returns? That's what I would do before I'd try a larger distance.

BTW. As part of my pre-flight checks after CL and HL flashes are done I start the motors, move the sticks around to see whether the motors respond to my inputs and then I shut the motors off again. Just so I know these things work as they should. Then I start the camera recording and my time-keeping app and then I start the motors again and take off.

MikeON said:
Uncle Meat said:
HOLY CRAP I THOUGHT I HAD LOST MT PHANTOM!!!!
...there is traffic everywhere, there is even 2 baseball games going on across the street with a bunch of kids.

Guys - lets be real careful with this. The thought of Phantom landing among a bunch of kids while the pilot is a mile away cannot be good. Or landing on a busy road. Or hitting someone's home. We don't need the give the FAA more reason for more regulations.

That being said, I might try it myself, but in an area with no risks of injury or damage to anything but the PV itself.

Oh Christ, there's always a Debbie downer.

I thought your home point was where you take off from, not from where you calibrate the compass ?? Surely the GPS just follows where it first got into the air ?

:?

pyrophantom said:
I thought your home point was where you take off from, not from where you calibrate the compass ?? Surely the GPS just follows where it first got into the air ?

:?

also for those of you who keep saying you calibrate the compass every time you fly or change battery you are asking for trouble.

Have you never heard the phrase if its not broke don't fix it. well this is good advise
If you have gone many miles away ok maybe recalibrate it once but not every flight or every battery
the flashing lights will tell you if it is in need. You may srew up a already good set up

Correct..Calibrate only when needed (ie drifing excessively, or you change locations by many miles. Also, If you intend as I do to test this feature of RTH by taking the powered up Vision in the back of an open vehicle, of course you'll have the transmitter on and with you.Thats a given, as you'll want to launch it at it new location. Assuming the Vision has not lost satellites, or connection with TX .....take it a few miles away....over a lake or several hundred acres of land is where I will test it. between two separate highways separated by acreage. As the poster suggested, maybe lifting it off prior to the drive to ENSURE the Home Point is recorded is perhaps advisable. Otherwise it should work as advertised.

I've just returned from testing RCRookie's question about taking off from a different point than the set up point, then using failsafe to return to the set up point. I went out onto a very big rec field, went through all the set up routine including a compass calibration dance, then walked the P2V about 100m from the set up point, took off up to about 50', turned off the switch on the controller, and sure enough, the P2V did its Going Home thing - right back to the set up point. I did this three times at different altitudes, and it worked every time. I did not re-calibrate the compass after the initial calibration before the first flight. I don't have need or desire or the money to replace a lost Phantom however, to try this trick miles away from the set up point. Someone else can do that.

Great Pumpkin said:
I'I don't have need or desire or the money to replace a lost Phantom however, to try this trick miles away from the set up point. Someone else can do that.

someone else has already done this as I posted earlier watch the video

this was started at one location home lock props spun up
stop props power stays on controller stays on drive to new location
take off get to safe altitude for flight home and turn off controller
have done this twice now. I can attest it works
note of caution do not hold phantom by the top on you trip to new location or gps will be lost
hold by landing gear.

My personal record is 2.1 miles but Im going to go for 3.5 when weather will cooperate
lower wind and warmer temps ( 15-20mph and 18F this week) now have flytrex so can chart return
I had 45% battery after 2 mile flight but think I had some upper winds on part of the flight as second location was kind of cross wind from first

Great Pumpkin said:
I've just returned from testing RCRookie's question about taking off from a different point than the set up point, then using failsafe to return to the set up point. I went out onto a very big rec field, went through all the set up routine including a compass calibration dance, then walked the P2V about 100m from the set up point, took off up to about 50', turned off the switch on the controller, and sure enough, the P2V did its Going Home thing - right back to the set up point. I did this three times at different altitudes, and it worked every time. I did not re-calibrate the compass after the initial calibration before the first flight. I don't have need or desire or the money to replace a lost Phantom however, to try this trick miles away from the set up point. Someone else can do that.

Thank You Great Pumkin, I was going to wait for a bit warmer weather then get the boat out and try it at 2.5 miles, that way I could stay right under it. Good work, did you actually lift the craft off from its Home point Recorded location ? or simply let it aquire Home Point while powered on and not flying ?
There was a question on whether it will record without actually lifting off a few feet. Thanks for the test and info, I'll feel much safer now when I do it. :D

skyhighdiver said:
Great Pumpkin said:
I'I don't have need or desire or the money to replace a lost Phantom however, to try this trick miles away from the set up point. Someone else can do that.

note of caution do not hold phantom by the top on you trip to new location or gps will be lost
hold by landing gear.

My personal record is 2.1 miles but Im going to go for 3.5 when weather will cooperate
lower wind and warmer temps ( 15-20mph and 18F this week) now have flytrex so can chart return
I had 45% battery after 2 mile flight but think I had some upper winds on part of the flight as second location was kind of cross wind from first

rn31.jpg

The video you posted was indeed a similar test, The Guy in the video actually flew his phantom while in a car to the location several miles away before sending it home via RTH. The only difference in the test I posted about, was the Vision is being 'driven' to its Launch location still powered up, with GPS lock from its Home Point....I know its a minor difference, but one I was curious about, since actually moving the Vision to its launch location is effectively doubling its RTH Range.

RCRookie said:
skyhighdiver said:
Great Pumpkin said:

hold by landing gear.

rn31.jpg

The video you posted was indeed a similar test, The Guy in the video actually flew his phantom while in a car to the location several miles away before sending it home via RTH. The only difference in the test I posted about, was the Vision is being 'driven' to its Launch location still powered up, with GPS lock from its Home Point....I know its a minor difference, but one I was curious about, since actually moving the Vision to its launch location is effectively doubling its RTH Range.

yes but did you read the rest of the post
since the video was put out I have done this only I did not fly to location I drove it

Thank You Great Pumpkin, I was going to wait for a bit warmer weather then get the boat out and try it at 2.5 miles, that way I could stay right under it. Good work, did you actually lift the craft off from its Home point Recorded location ? or simply let it aquire Home Point while powered on and not flying ?

RCRookie:
I let the P2V acquire its Home Point while powered and not flying - then I picked it up and walked it 100 m away, set it on the ground and immediately took off. I sent it up, turned off the controller, and watched it fly 100 m to its Home Point and land itself.

yes but did you read the rest of the post
since the video was put out I have done this only I did not fly to location

Yes, thanks... That has taken out all of the "unknowns" for this test. I can perform it now with confidence that range should be the only issue as long as course is plotted without obstacles.. I can use google earth to plot a course which povides distance with their measurment tool, and a line of sight clearance of obstacles should be sufficient for a successful A to B waypoint flight.

Thanks to all who contributed to this thread.

The Rookie

Scottrod said:
Finally grew a pair and tested it! One hell of a test too....

http://youtu.be/vcLb0Y7UFJM

Excellent test Scottrod... Almost identical to what i intend when i get my boat ready for summer... That did take a lot of raw courage to allow it to return over water, (i intend to keep a boat under mine... lol.) Thank you for your post.. I think we can say the technology works even under unusual circumstances, and that was the answer i was looking for.. Thanks again to all who contributed.

RCRookie said:
Colin Quinn did a 8 mile "Follow the Boat" on Lake Austin, here in Texas.
So maybe start my first test within 3 miles and see what my battery says upon return.

Also note, ole Colin probably had an endless supply of Phantoms, just in case there was a slight problem. :eek:

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic