Using DBS for home wifi range extension?

Reaction score
Has anyone thought about or looked into using their DBS antenna to get wifi network connectivity from far away from a wifi router? Maybe hooking it up to another router to make a repeater? If the DBS antenna can give thousands of feet of range extension for the RC to AC network, can it somehow be used to get wifi network for my computer far away from my house? Say, at my shop down the road from my house? Just a wacky thought I figured I'd ask.

I don't know about your DBS antenna but there are a lot of directional & point to point antennas out there for wireless routers so I would assume it would work the same way.

The right question might be if the phantom range extender pioneers though about whether existing high gain antennas tried and proven in wifi applications might work well bolted to a phantom RC. We know that answer. Yes, of course it will work. There are cheaper alternatives available, consider a pair of yagi's for point to point wifi. A 20 element yagi can provide 17 dB of gain which equates to over 50 times increase to the effective radiated power. One of these at each end and you will be rockin.

The right question might be if the phantom range extender pioneers though about whether existing high gain antennas tried and proven in wifi applications might work well bolted to a phantom RC. We know that answer. Yes, of course it will work. There are cheaper alternatives available, consider a pair of yagi's for point to point wifi. A 20 element yagi can provide 17 dB of gain which equates to over 50 times increase to the effective radiated power. One of these at each end and you will be rockin.
I suppose. If I want to or am able to dedicate the source to a directional antenna. But that wouldn't be practical in my case. A parabolic on the remote end might work better than a yagi.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20