Using active track to follow P3

Been thinking that.... [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Check out the autopilot app. Or on YouTube look up autopilot or autoflight logic and the airspace mode! I love pics with drones in them. A video of my P3P filming a moving target it the other way around .... My P3P filming my P4 as its using active tracker. Can't wait!

Reactions: Myetkt
I'm planning on flying 4 drones at once to video some RC racing boats at a local lake. I know it will be challenging but I know it can be done. I will have 2 phantoms and a Inspire hovoring at different locations and height towards the targets while flying the P4 and using the tracking feature to follow the boats. That will make for a great video. The challenge comes with launching each bird and getting them into place for the allowed flight time. I have 2 IPads and 2 phones to do this with. Hopefully there will be little to no interference during the flights.
As each bird is launched and put into place, I will set the controller down and launch the next one and so on. I have flown 2 of them at once and still had plenty of time to get them back for perfect landings. With 4 birds in the air at one time and the time it will take to get them there should allow for about a 10 minute video. Looking forward to getting the P4 just for this event. I will post the video up as soon as I get the bird and do my thing. Wish me luck!

Last edited:
I'm planning on flying 4 drones at once to video some RC racing boats at a local lake. I know it will be challenging but I know it can be done. I will have 2 phantoms and a Inspire hovoring at different locations and height towards the targets while flying the P4 and using the tracking feature to follow the boats. That will make for a great video. The challenge comes with launching each bird and getting them into place for the allowed flight time. I have 2 IPads and 2 phones to do this with. Hopefully there will be little to no interference during the flights.
As each bird is launched and put into place, I will set the controller down and launch the next one and so on. I have flown 2 of them at once and still had plenty of time to get them back for a perfect landings. With 4 birds in the air at one time and the time it will take to get them there should allow for about a 10 minute video. Looking forward to getting the P4 just for this event. I will post the video up as soon as I get the bird and do my thing. Wish me luck!
Best of luck!! Going to be like juggling or plate spinning!

Reactions: Drone Master
Interesting idea. Only problem I foresee is a Phantom is a relatively small target when viewed through the camera unless you are extremely close. So close that an abrupt stop or change in direction might cause the P4 to run up the P3's six before it can react.

Anyone see a problem using the active track on the P4 to follow a P3? Might make for a fun video.

Interesting idea. Only problem I foresee is a Phantom is a relatively small target when viewed through the camera unless you are extremely close. So close that an abrupt stop or change in direction might cause the P4 to run up the P3's six before it can react.
Yea, that crossed my mind. It would be a pretty expensive day to crash 2 on one flight. And I'm not even sure active track is precise enough to follow that small an object. I'm anxious to try it like others have said with the dogs, and then work my way down to smaller objects.

Yea, that crossed my mind. It would be a pretty expensive day to crash 2 on one flight. And I'm not even sure active track is precise enough to follow that small an object. I'm anxious to try it like others have said with the dogs, and then work my way down to smaller objects.
The RC boats that I will be attempting to record are rather large. I'm not sure what class of boats they are. But they are about 6 ft in length and 2 ft wide doing up to 70 mph on the straight aways. I am curious how well the tracikiing will work considering they are bigger than a dog. I guess we will see soon enough. I don't expect the P4 to keep up with the speed of the boats but it will be fun trying. I know that I will get enough good video to edit something good.
We will see. :D

I just got my P4 today, one thing I can't figure out is, what is the difference between Active Tracking and Follow Me. I'm pretty sure in Follow Me mode you have to have the RC/tablet/iphone with the object you are following, for it to follow properly, and I know the active tracking uses recognition software, is there any other differences?

Here's a short video of a P4 tracking an Inspire. Appears to work at a gentle speed, but I suppose a more speedy flight with some rapid direction changes would be more of a test.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl