Using a variable ND filter

Reaction score
I picked up a kit that had a UV, a variable ND filter and a circular polarizer. I threw on the VND - and even after making adjustments - at just about all stops - the effect has, what looks like, an inverted bell curve. (Where the center is darker than the sides.

Anybody else using a variable ND filter have this affect? Or did I pick up a bad brand? :( (Promaster Quad Filter Kit for Phantom 3)

If there's another brand with a variable ND filter that does better - suggestions would be appreciated. Otherwise, I'll probably trade it back for a 8 ND.

I read someone using one of those 2-400 variable ND filter and it creates this vignette side-effect on their video.
So yeah, should stick to fixed ND filters. Get at least ND8 and ND16, 8 for cloudy day and 16 for bright sunny day.

... As for brands,

Polar pro & taco seem the most popular

(I have taco multi coated - 4/8/16/32nd pack £50 or $75)

I have the polar pro kit with the ND4, ND8, and the polarizer.. It works great, heres a few pics using the ND8 filter

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    137.1 KB · Views: 604
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    193.7 KB · Views: 559
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    257.3 KB · Views: 575
Thanks everybody - I'll probably go swap it out for a fixed ND8 and ND16. Although the the Polar Pro 6 pack with ND and polarizer in one sounds interesting too - to get a little more contrast with the foreground.

Just a heads up - I decided to return the "Promaster Quad Filter Kit for Phantom 3" after I inquired Promaster about it. I sent a picture that showed the affect and asked what's up - The gist of their response was: "This is one of the down sides of having such a wide angle lens and using a variable ND filter."

... Shouldn't sell it as a "kit for Phantom 3" then... IMHO

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic