Using a unactivated phone for flying?

Reaction score
Would I have a problem using a phone without a SIM to fly my P3P? Does the P3P use GPS or anything from the phone or is it just used as an output device?

you wont be able to load dji app if phone isn't active

I would like to see an iOS/Android independent transmitter for these craft.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

I'm actually using an old non activated phone to fly my p3p with. It is unactivated but the only difference is I still have a sim in there. I'm not sure if that makes any difference.

Would I have a problem using a phone without a SIM to fly my P3P? Does the P3P use GPS or anything from the phone or is it just used as an output device?
I would expect it to work. Of course you'd need to be on wifi to install the app and do any RC updates you choose to do. If you choose to use maps, just cache them in advance while connected to wifi.

Of course you can use a phone without sim card for flying.
The Phantom doesn't need cellular data at all for flying and whether you have cell service or not will have no effect on GPS.
The Phantom's own GPS is all you need for flying but if you wanted to do follow=me or reset your home to the controller location, the GPS in the phone would still work anyway.
Many flyers use wifi only tablets and enjoy the full experience.
It will be the same with a phone with no sim card.

I'm sorry but this is total bs. The P1/P2/P3/P4 have nothing to do with the internet. The phone/tablet is nothing more than a viewfinder. You don't even need it to make the drone work. Please educate yourself before you make such senseless comments. This thread is silly and could very much mislead someone. Mods, please do your job.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31