Using a point and shoot

Ability to control tilt from the RC is useful.

But I won't be using a P&S enough to justify the cost. I may consider Droner Systems, though.

adanac said:
I most definitely do not need a 600 Euro item! Still looking.
my solution.

i 3d printed three mounts (like the one from dronexpert) each one with different inclinations (about 0, 45 and 90 degress) and carry a ricoh wg-4 camera,mso far the only point and shoot camera that includes the intervalometer function.

simple and cheap :)

I have a P2 non-vision. With it I use an IRC VTX that is connected inside the Phantom, which is, in turn, connected to the GoPro. How do I connect an FPV system to a point and shoot?

MonsieurAnon said:
Are you saying that you're using the Vision? Can you explain what you mean by it goes trough the Phantom?

adanac said:
The question is how to see what I'm shooting.
I've been shooting stills from a kite rig for years without any video downlink. Solutions to get a live feed of what the camera sees are definitely available. And while they're certainly nice to have, I've never once felt it was required. I set the camera shutter to fire every 5 seconds (I could do smaller intervals but I find every 5 seconds to be plenty). Then I get the camera rig about where I think it should be and I park it there for a while. I adjust the tilt in small increments every now and then and again, just park it there for a while while the kite makes its natural movements on the wind thus making small movements to the rig.

After the flight I'll have several hundred shots to sort through but its very rare that I don't end up with at least a dozen or so keepers that are framed to my liking. Do I miss shots? Yep, all the time you end up with great shots that are framed just incorrectly enough to make them unusable. Nature of the game. But the trade off is I also get tons more great shots that I never would have bothered to look for had I been able to simply get the camera airborne, quickly and perfectly frame the primary subject came to shoot, and then get the camera back down. The idea is to let it shoot everything because I don't know what will be good and what won't till later. This forces you to take shots you wouldn't take any other way.

Don't get me wrong. I like that my P2 has a video downlink. But so far, I've only found that really useful for the telemetry data. I can see that it will also be useful for framing video. But if I ever decide to mount a different camera and shoot stills? I don't think I'd sweat not having video feed.

To each his own and all that. But I'd recommend you shoot for a month or two without to see if you can live with it before you go spend a ton of cash on a solution you may not need as much as you think you do.

I'm aware of what the goal of thread is. Its been my experience that nearly everyone believes they need to see what they're shooting but very often most find they do just fine without the ability once they actually try it. Hence my comments and suggestion. If it won't work for you, it won't work. No harm no foul.

Moving on then, I don't know much about Lightbridge, but from looking at youtube, it seems that it will work with a Phantom and take video from anything that has an HDMI out. Does the G16 have an HDMI out?

Lightbridge is probably overkill for most Phantom users. It's an expensive system, and weighs a bit, so it's probably better suited to people using larger multirotors like the S-900.

I personally fly just fine without seeing what I'm shooting.

MonsieurAnon said:
Lightbridge is probably overkill for most Phantom users. It's an expensive system, and weighs a bit, so it's probably better suited to people using larger multirotors like the S-900.
Ah, fair enough then. Well I don't know much but I do know this. If you want to know about how to see a live feed from a remotely mounted and triggered point and shoot, go hang around the kite photography forums. Those folks were flying and remotely controlling point and shoot cameras years before the first commercial drones were even thought of. No one knows more about how to do it than they do.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31