Using a new SIM card...

Reaction score
I don't want to screw anything up but was wanting to start using a larger SIM card. Are there any precautions I need to do? Can I swap Sim cards from my go Pro straight to the phantom and back and forth? Do they need to be totally erased/formatted and clean before putting into the phantom? Does the Sim card store any kind of vital data for the phantom to operate or does it just store pictures and video? Sorry just a dumb newbie here ..

Hello,
I think you mean Micro SD card. A SIM card is an identifier for a cell phone. Anyway, you should be able to switch SD cards between your GoPro and DJI Phantom. They will just create separate folders to store their pictures in. I could be wrong, but I think the Phantom only stores photos/videos on the SD card. It has an internal SD card for flight data. The GoPro puts a download link for GoPro studio on the SD card upon formatting, but you can just delete it. I personally use a separate SD card for my GoPro and DJI Phantom, but thats just because I have too many :D.

Yes, you an use a larger SD card. However, the .bin file for the firmware is stored on that card. The absence of the .bin file won't cause an issue UNLESS you buy a new battery. The battery also has firmware that is updated from that .bin file. You can remedy this in two ways: either copy the .bin file to the new SD card; or keep the smaller SD card with the .bin file on it and insert it into the bird the first time you insert the new battery. After the battery is updated you can then go back to the larger card. You would be surprised how much video you can fit on the original 16gb SD card, so going up to say a 128gb SD card is overkill IMHO.

Yes, you an use a larger SD card. However, the .bin file for the firmware is stored on that card. The absence of the .bin file won't cause an issue UNLESS you buy a new battery. The battery also has firmware that is updated from that .bin file. You can remedy this in two ways: either copy the .bin file to the new SD card; or keep the smaller SD card with the .bin file on it and insert it into the bird the first time you insert the new battery. After the battery is updated you can then go back to the larger card. You would be surprised how much video you can fit on the original 16gb SD card, so going up to say a 128gb SD card is overkill IMHO.

Agreed. I have a TON of photos and videos on my 128 GB SD card and it's still not even close to reaching 16 GB.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agreed. I have a TON of photos and videos on my 128 GB SD card and it's still not even close to reaching 16 GB.
Suggestion: get those images off the SD card regularly. It doesn't take but one little glitch to corrupt the card and you will lose everything.

Thanks for the correction... SIM card.. lol.. what a brain fart
I appreciate the advise..

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers