Using a dedicated FPV camera in place of GoPro Hero 3+ ?

Reaction score
Hello all. I am NOT using the Zenmuse Gimbal or GoPro Hero 3+ on this specific P2. For now I just want to wire in a FatShark or similar FPV camera. Later I plan to swap that camera out with a 10x or better optical zoom FPV camera, night vision, or IR camera combo.

I have the FirstPersonView.com P2 to iOSD mini to ImmersionRC/Fatshark video transmitter plug and play cable and it works fine for a pure iOSD signal on my monitor or goggles.

But when I try to wire in the video signal from one of my FatsShark 600TVL FPV cameras things get wonky. I can still see the iOSD but the camera picture is not correct--almost a NTSC vs. PAL kind of thing but nothing I can quite figure out. I am bringing the camera video signal right into the video transmitter tying into the yellow wire (iOSD video signal) on the FirstPerson view yellow wire that has the iOSD video signal on it and taking that directly into the video out pin on the ImmersionRC/FatShark video TX. I am also grounding the black wire from the FirstPersonView iOSD yellow/black pair to the black ground pin on the 5 wire connector to the video TX and using the red pin on the five pin side to power the camera. FYI, the separate red/black FirstPersonView wires power the video TX as normal for the 2 pin red/black connector side.

In essence I am doing the reverse of the normal--putting the video/camera signal right "on top" of the iOSD signal . I assumed it would work the same but so far not. Could anyone provide ideas on how to wire this or why my approach is currently not working?

Finally, I have another approach I would prefer but that has proven even more complicated thus far and I have not been able to find anyone (including an email from DJI, ha!) who knows the wiring diagram for the 8 wire DJI Zenmuse cable on the P2. I was hoping to actually try to tie the FPV camera directly into the Zenmuse cable and power the camera and feed the video signal from there into the P2 board as if were a GoPro. And then the FirstPersonView.com cable would overlay the iOSD signal on it and that would be a cleaner implementation as intended originally for this cable. And in the future, if possible, I am hoping to use the Zenmuse gimbal lever on the controller to control the optical zoom on the FPV camera by tying into the Zenmuse gimbal cable on the P2 for the gimbal tilt signal. Does anyone have any ideas on how to tie into the Zemmuse cable to get the video signal from my FPV camera and to power and ground it? And further, does anyone know how take like signal meant to tilt the Zenmuse up/down to toggle the optical zoom on an FPV camera?

Thanks!
David

I was wondering how I can get a pair of goggles to work for me.i have the dji phantom vision and I currently use a samsung galaxy note 2 to view my flight but I cannot see the screen in. The sun,do you know the easiest way to make a pair of I goggles work for me? I I appreciate your help

TXhillcountryphantom said:
I am bringing the camera video signal right into the video transmitter tying into the yellow wire (iOSD video signal) on the FirstPerson view yellow wire that has the iOSD video signal on it and taking that directly into the video out pin on the ImmersionRC/FatShark video TX.

The video signal has to be passed through the iOSD mini, you can't just splice both leads (iOSD and FPV camera) together at the video Transmitter

krsdj1 said:
I was wondering how I can get a pair of goggles to work for me.i have the dji phantom vision and I currently use a samsung galaxy note 2 to view my flight but I cannot see the screen in. The sun,do you know the easiest way to make a pair of I goggles work for me? I I appreciate your help
if you are running the Vision then using a device with HDMI out and goggles with either HDMI in or HDMI to RCA converter is the way to go. (Actually for the Vision it's the only way to go).

OI Photography said:
I am bringing the camera video signal right into the video transmitter tying into the yellow wire (iOSD video signal) on the FirstPerson view yellow wire that has the iOSD video signal on it and taking that directly into the video out pin on the ImmersionRC/FatShark video TX.

The video signal has to be passed through the iOSD mini, you can't just splice both leads (iOSD and FPV camera) together at the video Transmitter

Thanks for your frequent and informative posts out there all the time. I thought about this and was about to splice on the other side of the iOSD. Can you tell me any technical reason why I need to be putting it on the other side of the iOSD (input to iOSD vs. output from iOSD). Just curious.

I am also noticing that my Black Pearl needs to be in PAL mode for the screen not to roll with the iOSD signal coming from this P2 and the FatShark or ImmersionRC video TXs. My other P2 with AVL58 works with the Black Pearl in NTSC mode without the rolling screen. Not sure what other testing environment: Fatshark Goggles and other generic monitor using ImmersionDuo receiver are set to as I am at work. Their screens do not roll with the Fatshark or ImmersionRC transmitter attached. Any ideas here? I do not see any PAL vs. NTSC setting mentioned in AVL58 or FatShark/Immersion RC video TX docs...

THANKS!

Pull_Up said:
David, you might get more exposure to people who can help you by posting this in the P2 non-Vision forum... :)

Thanks Pull-up. You are correct. Originally I was frustrated as I thought my P2 thread was hijacked by a non-related P2V question. You are awesome!

Not being forum police, just genuinely wanted your request to be seen - it's just most of us in these parts wouldn't know one end of a Zenmuse or iOSD from the other - we've been having our own gimbal fun, though. ;) Glad OI kept a lookout, though - he's been there, done that, washed the t-shirt so much it shrunk...

Pull_Up said:
Pull_Up said:
David, you might get more exposure to people who can help you by posting this in the P2 non-Vision forum... :)

Thanks Pull-up. You are correct. Originally I was frustrated as I thought my P2 thread was hijacked by a non-related P2V question. You are awesome!

Not being forum police, just genuinely wanted your request to be seen - it's just most of us in these parts wouldn't know one end of a Zenmuse or iOSD from the other - we've been having our own gimbal fun, though. ;) Glad OI kept a lookout, though - he's been there, done that, washed the t-shirt so much it shrunk...

I'm supposed to wash it...?? :shock:

Pull_Up said:
krsdj1 said:
if you are running the Vision then using a device with HDMI out and goggles with either HDMI in or HDMI to RCA converter is the way to go. (Actually for the Vision it's the only way to go).
Thank you so much for your reply, I have a Samsung galaxy note 3 I can get a USB micro to HDMI female adapter i'm assuming the goggles would have a male HDMI connector, and wondering how do the goggles get powered,or whether they require power from the HDMI cable, also can you recommend a good pair of goggles thank you so much for your help

krsdj1 said:
Pull_Up said:
krsdj1 said:
Thank you so much for your reply, I have a Samsung galaxy note 3 I can get a USB micro to HDMI female adapter i'm assuming the goggles would have a male HDMI connector, and wondering how do the goggles get powered,or whether they require power from the HDMI cable, also can you recommend a good pair of goggles thank you so much for your help

I can't recommend anything as I don't use them, just commenting from a technical point of view. However there's another thread running at the moment where Ken had been doing some serious research into goggle solutions - have a look at that one for lots of info.

krsdj1 said:
Pull_Up said:
krsdj1 said:

I can't recommend anything as I don't use them, just commenting from a technical point of view. However there's another thread running at the moment where Ken had been doing some serious research into goggle solutions - have a look at that one for lots of info.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik