Using a Android device using firmware V 4.3

Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

some you might not know this but there is a problem with connecting an android device (phone or tablet) using V 4.3 and some later V 4.2xxx to a WIFI network which is not connected to the internet. This tolds true for the new Galaxy Note V3 for sure.

This is hardware (Samsung) or software (Google) problem. This has been reported earlier this year. Some fixes work some not :lol: .

As I love my note 3 I have found a work around for it. If you get the following error message when conneting to the Phantom_ 1xxx net work " can not connect to internet " or " internet connection to slow "

Try the following :
1. switch to airplane mode ( this will disable the phone function )
2. now enable the WIFI connection again.
3. Find the Phantom_1xxx WIFI SSID

While this works well, you will not be able to use the phone while you are flying the Phantom Vision, which might be a good thing after all as you have to pay attention flying it :lol:.

I have not tried the find my Phantom map function....

Otherwise all system are working.......

Switching to airplane mode but enabling wifi is a great piece of advice that I'll be sure to use as a standard pre-flight procedure.

I don't want the interruptions from the phone or internet connection and I rather like the idea that it is sure to have a beneficial effect on the battery drain on the phone.

The other thing I am contemplating is to use an old phone for the FPV.

No offense but I'm not surprised. There are so many Android devices that regardless of your OS version your phone might not be made for the OS. Version. Android is the Wild West of mobile OS. People can bash Apple but they make the software and hardware so everything just works. People don't get that about Android. Google is the new Microsoft for mobile devices. They have no skin in the game.

I am running 4.3 on a Nexus 4 (so vanilla android). Under Settings/WiFi/Advanced is an option called 'Avoid Poor Connections' which I have unchecked. If you are flying close to home or near hotspots you have previously connected to this will prevent your phone dumping the Phantom connection in favour of another if you momentarily lose connection and might overcome the issues you are having if you want to keep a data connection.

Hi All
New to this got my PV thurs one flight all went surprisingly well ,now raining today in west berkshire, very tentative but very very new , and retired.
Did have a prob, wifi trying to get to my home hub so thanks "pull up" have also got a nexus 4 running 4.3 have now done your turn off solution to avoid poor connections, good advice. I like others do have a Chinese map coming up, but using the app on home hub without PV on shows local map ,lets hope an update soon

martindale said:
Hi All
New to this got my PV thurs one flight all went surprisingly well ,now raining today in west berkshire, very tentative but very very new , and retired.
Did have a prob, wifi trying to get to my home hub so thanks "pull up" have also got a nexus 4 running 4.3 have now done your turn off solution to avoid poor connections, good advice. I like others do have a Chinese map coming up, but using the app on home hub without PV on shows local map ,lets hope an update soon

Glad I could help. You're in West Berkshire, I'm in South Oxfordshire... I'm a few flights ahead of you and have some previous RC experience so if you fancy flying together let me know (I'm a stay-at-home dad but I am child-free on Fridays during school hours, just don't let my wife know I'm skiving off from laundry and cleaning duties!).

Just seen your utube flight over the Thames "pull up" you are a very brave man. Yes I am up for that just need to get a couple of hours practise in, never done any RC apart from those very tiny toy copters . I am newbury, is there any way we can swop emails. ? off now until tonight

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1