Using 4K camera on the P3 Advanced

Reaction score
I was wondering if I can replace the 1080p camera on the Advanced with the 4K camera. Has anyone tried this or know if it works?

This will work. You'll need to also install the Phantom 3 Professional firmware.

Yes. Same bird. Just different camera.

Ok my eye cannot tell the difference. It CAN tell the difference in 30fps (4K-Pro) vs 60fps (2K-Adv).

Now I'm sure a 24" ultra hi res monitor could sway me, but I'll take the smoothness right now.

Reactions: acc007
Thanks for the replies guys. My P3A had a painful crash in the Rockies yesterday. Replacing the camera is not an option but a must have. The price d/ce between the two cameras is only $130.

Reactions: rrmccabe
Yea I would probably do the same. Only downside is you have $130 more invested to lose.

Me too. Same problem. I wonder if the camera disconnects from the gimbal easy or do I need the whole gimbal assembly?

Me too. Same problem. I wonder if the camera disconnects from the gimbal easy or do I need the whole gimbal assembly?

Gimbal and camera is an entire assembly. Need to remove and replace together.

i've swopped the main gimbal board on my p3 advanced. fitted a p3 pro board inc fan. left the camera as is and its now shooting in 4k. happy days

I tried buying gold name badge from DJi
That's kind of what I thought. You moved your camera and gimbal parts over to the "board" from the pro? very nice!
yes mate. easy to do. You just have to watch you dont damage the ribbon

$130 is relative to the person, not being cocky, cost difference wouldn't mean much to me...the reason that part is relevant is that I still don't believe the 30fps is good enough with the 4K to justify the extra cash and hassle modifications. I dumb down p3p to 1080 60fps. It's also easier format to work with and play on my TV ...even though I have a 4K TV. Unless I'm missing something, it doesn't add up for me.

I would assemble my camera, used now in the aircraft Pantom 4k, in the advanced model, I would like to know if it's possible, and also I'm worry about if this aircraft has problems, when I'll connecting his camera maybe it does not fly anymore.
Since I have the opportunity to test it before buy it? I would not damage my camera. can someone help me?
thank you and regards

I would assemble my camera, used now in the aircraft Pantom 4k, in the advanced model, I would like to know if it's possible, and also I'm worry about if this aircraft has problems, when I'll connecting his camera maybe it does not fly anymore.
Since I have the opportunity to test it before buy it? I would not damage my camera. can someone help me?
thank you and regards

I don't know about the Phantom 4k, but the Phantom Advanced firmware is specific to the gimbal control board / video processor (the part the SD card plugs into). You most likely cannot use the 4k gimbal control and processing board on the Advanced model. So, it you are talking about just putting the camera itself on an Advanced, that may be piossible. However, the camera (sensor) on the Advanced is superior to the sensor on the 4k. So, that would not be an upgrade.

I don't know about the Phantom 4k, but the Phantom Advanced firmware is specific to the gimbal control board / video processor (the part the SD card plugs into). You most likely cannot use the 4k gimbal control and processing board on the Advanced model. So, it you are talking about just putting the camera itself on an Advanced, that may be piossible. However, the camera (sensor) on the Advanced is superior to the sensor on the 4k. So, that would not be an upgrade.
Different sensor? Dont the 4k and advanced share the same sony EXMOR chip? Its the standard that runs the panasonic sensor.

thank you and regards
It's not possible to use the Phantom 3 4K's camera on P3A or P3P as explained in post #128 of this thread. Phantom 3 4K uses Wifi for video transmission just like P3S while P3A/P uses Lightbridge.
P3 Advanced with a 4k Camera

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic