useable final product with dlog???

Reaction score
I have been trying the various color modes and just can't seem to get any video footage outside of normal without coming across issues like banding or smooth playback etc.

So I recently updated to the new firmware which has the update to DLOG with iso 500. Aside from the issue of being locked at ISO 500 and shooting at very high shutter speeds now, my issue still is once the video file is color corrected and exported it doesn't playback nearly as good as video straight from the drone.

Here is DLOG video that has been edited. Pay attention to the clouds in upper left section of the frame.

Here is the ungraded video

I am rendering at max quality, VRB 2 Pass, 100mbps, and original source dimensions.

Maybe the combination of too high a shutter speed and the base sharpening needs to be toned down? Any help is appreciated.

I see a weird issue with the clouds in both examples (although it is more noticeable on the D-Log clip.) Looks like dropped frames but I don't see it elsewhere in the frame, strange. Does the raw camera footage look OK?

I see a weird issue with the clouds in both examples (although it is more noticeable on the D-Log clip.) Looks like dropped frames but I don't see it elsewhere in the frame, strange. Does the raw camera footage look OK?

The ungraded youtube video is the dlog file straight from the P4P uploaded to youtube. Watching the unedited file in quicktime it is still noticeable but not as much as the youtube files.

What editing software wely324? Think I saw somewhere where your not supposed to use render at max quality. Talking Premier Pro btw. It plays smoothly when I click on 1080p and then skips badly when it goes to 4K. I would think that your problem is in your rendering settings. But I'm pretty new to Premier Pro in last 4-5 months so not sure.

I saw somewhere you should use CBR (constant bit rate) rather than VBR (variable bit rate). Can't remember the exact reason why.

Yes, I'm editing in premiere pro. Going try and test some different export settings as well as h265 to see if there is any differences.

Looks like the tip of the prop getting into the shot imo. Doesn't look like a picture profile or setting issue. Where you in sport mode or fighting the wind?

It seems only to be apparent when the drone starts picking up speed which makes me think it's a prop

Looks like the tip of the prop getting into the shot imo. Doesn't look like a picture profile or setting issue. Where you in sport mode or fighting the wind?

It seems only to be apparent when the drone starts picking up speed which makes me think it's a prop
It becomes apparent when the drone starts picking up speed because the drone is what is creating the movement in the clouds against the foreground. Someone was able to explain it to me on the DJI forum. It has to do with the encoding. I will post the link as well as the YouTube video that the person use to explain the issue to me.

It becomes apparent when the drone starts picking up speed because the drone is what is creating the movement in the clouds against the foreground. Someone was able to explain it to me on the DJI forum. It has to do with the encoding. I will post the link as well as the YouTube video that the person use to explain the issue to me.

Ah I re-watched the video full screen and now see what you're talking about. I think you do catch some prop in the shot and I thought that's what you were talking about at first but after watching again i can see the clouds definitely stuttering across the screen. Definitely an internal coding issue

Hey folks don't mean to highjack this thread but I am a newbie to drones and detailed photo/videos so I'll ask this question or at least get your comments. I spent the afternoon with my new P4P shooting in Dlog with the screen showing actual color(the option with the new upgrade) I then used DaVinicci to edit with the DJI LUT. Here are the before and after videos. The first one is only the first half since I spliced part one & two while editing...
D-log without LUT
Edited version with LUT applied and part 1 & 2 together

Let a newbie know how it looks good and bad. And any suggestions to improve would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Stephen

I don't know what you have done over and above applying the LUT. The LUT is not going to produce a perfect grade without additional corrections and adjustments. The ultimate result from the D-log video after grading should be better than the straight from the camera video. However it takes some real work with a good tool such as resolve to create a high quality result from a D-log recording especially if color density and contrast let alone sharpness have been dramatically reduced.

I think it is a good start. Needs more grading work. I know it takes a fair amount of practice to generate good results with resolve. It is in my mind the best such tool out there, but it takes quite a bit of practice to really take advantage of its capabilities. Be patient and work the tool. Explore what it can do.

Hey folks don't mean to highjack this thread but I am a newbie to drones and detailed photo/videos so I'll ask this question or at least get your comments. I spent the afternoon with my new P4P shooting in Dlog with the screen showing actual color(the option with the new upgrade) I then used DaVinicci to edit with the DJI LUT. Here are the before and after videos. The first one is only the first half since I spliced part one & two while editing...
D-log without LUT
Edited version with LUT applied and part 1 & 2 together

Let a newbie know how it looks good and bad. And any suggestions to improve would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Stephen

Can I ask, where did you get the LUT from?
Thanks

I went to the DJI home page and downloads.... Only because I saw how to do that on this forum or youtube I forget. Such a newbie at editing.... I would love to learn more.

I went to the DJI home page and downloads.... Only because I saw how to do that on this forum or youtube I forget. Such a newbie at editing.... I would love to learn more.

That's the point of DLOG. It's like the building blocks for the final 'print'. The advantage is to try and squeeze as much info from the picture as possible - in that it's not a raw moving image.

The jury seems to still be out as to whether anything is gained form DLOG. It's better than it was but I'm not convinced it's robust enough.

DJI has obviously decided that ISO 500 is the best ISO for quality and dynamic range but it's all a little odd.

If you're going to just slap a LUT onto it you may as well shoot in Cinelike or another profile and just tweak minimal parts.

There's been huge debates on here about DLOG. I was seeking more thoughts on the latest firmware and the DLOG quality but can't seem to find much recent stuff

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik