Use of GS without internet access(no 3G/Wifi)

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm thinking on using the GS with my phantom 2 in a country where I won't have 3G or Wifi in my iPad.

As the GS seems to get the maps from google maps, i was wondering if caching the maps would work. This is not a very known function in google maps, but you can actually do it. having google maps open you can select the area of the map you want to store in memory and use when you don't have 3G/Wifi. To do this you just have to type in the search text box "ok maps". Then if you disconeedt from the wifi you see you can zoom in that area and the maps work. there are limitations as you can't search for routest and things like that, but it's pretty good.

So, my question is, does any one know if GS works with cache maps? Anyone want to give it a try :)?

Thanks in advance
Fernando

Yes it does work with cached maps, just view the area your interested before you go....and it caches the images automatically to the ipad.

FernandoAyuso said:
Hi,

I'm thinking on using the GS with my phantom 2 in a country where I won't have 3G or Wifi in my iPad.

As the GS seems to get the maps from google maps, i was wondering if caching the maps would work. This is not a very known function in google maps, but you can actually do it. having google maps open you can select the area of the map you want to store in memory and use when you don't have 3G/Wifi. To do this you just have to type in the search text box "ok maps". Then if you disconeedt from the wifi you see you can zoom in that area and the maps work. there are limitations as you can't search for routest and things like that, but it's pretty good.

So, my question is, does any one know if GS works with cache maps? Anyone want to give it a try :)?

Thanks in advance
Fernando

Zoom in and out of the area you want to fly in when you've wifi (at home)(pre-planning) , pan around the map. Now turn off wifi , open GS you should see the maps cached :-D

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl