Use Drone in South Korea?

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm planning to go South Korea next week, anyone are experienced in bring phantom through Airport? and use it in Korea?

I just went to Puerto Vallarta through ohare this month, security at ohare stared at the bird in the x-ray machine but must have figured it out because they pushed it thru after a couple minutes of staring. Absolutely no issues in Mexico what so ever. I purchased a backpack made by kazoom that fit everything I needed quite well, its faa approved for carry on and even fits in the overhead storage compartment. I'll never go anywhere without my p3p again.

Reactions: MocNguyen
I just went to Puerto Vallarta through ohare this month, security at ohare stared at the bird in the x-ray machine but must have figured it out because they pushed it thru after a couple minutes of staring. Absolutely no issues in Mexico what so ever. I purchased a backpack made by kazoom that fit everything I needed quite well, its faa approved for carry on and even fits in the overhead storage compartment. I'll never go anywhere without my p3p again.

last time I fly to Myanmar, they x ray then want to keep my pt3 at the airport. It is not allowed to be used or bring into this country. I end up calling my Myanmar friend to help and pay alittle money for them.

I'm from South Korea. It's not my direct experience but according to threads on Korean forum, people had taken their Phantom to abroad, and taken back without any restriction. Instead, there's regulation about carrying batteries, max 2 batteries for 1 person, the reason for minor possibility of causing fire. Battery cannot be carried in luggage, but passenger must carry it by himself.

Flying drone in these area is strictly prohibited by the regulation:
- Entire Seoul area
- 9.3km radius from airport/military base
- Flying after sunset
- Above 150m altitude
- Crowded area

This is my experience in Korea: drones are now in hot interest in Korea, people & folks easily recognize it, and think about safety first. People know it can be fall unto them(normally it isn't), because TV showed the accidents can be caused by drones, so people easily irritated when the drone passes above them. They usually have curiosity about drones, but some of them hates to be flown around them.

I recommend that fly drone, when no one around you.

I found this info -

Republic of Korea...

Regulations: Both civil and military drones are widely used in South Korea, however, no official English-language documentation of regulations can be found. Secondary sources indicate that drones may be flown up to 492 feet, cannot weigh over 26.4 lbs, and cannot be flown over sensitive areas such as nuclear power plants and military bases. Commercial usage is said to require registration from the Ministry of Land, Infrastructure, and Transport.
Source(s):Airworthiness Presentation 2013, Ministry of Government Legislation, Korea Office of Civil Aviation

Any 2017 update on South Korea? I'm travelling there next month, and eventually will move there for work. So in any case I want to bring my P4 with me.
You said the entire Seoul area is a no fly zone? That sucks hard, I can't believe it.
How about other cities, temples, fortresses and stuff? I've been to a few countries with drones and usually pretending to be a stupid tourist helps....

I found this info -

Republic of Korea...

Regulations: Both civil and military drones are widely used in South Korea, however, no official English-language documentation of regulations can be found. Secondary sources indicate that drones may be flown up to 492 feet, cannot weigh over 26.4 lbs, and cannot be flown over sensitive areas such as nuclear power plants and military bases. Commercial usage is said to require registration from the Ministry of Land, Infrastructure, and Transport.
Source(s):Airworthiness Presentation 2013, Ministry of Government Legislation, Korea Office of Civil Aviation
Please can you tell me if there is an update to this information. I am currently in Seoul with my trusted P4 and would love to fly my aircraft.

Thank you in advance.

With all due respect. With that nutter Kim Jun whatever he's name is..... Anything flying could make him think its part of the USA gathering intelligence due to he's missiles. You could seriously put your life at risk on the spot. I would say now is not the time to fly in my opinion. I know its not what you want to hear but unless you can get army and government clearance I wouldn't chance it

With all due respect. With that nutter Kim Jun whatever he's name is..... Anything flying could make him think its part of the USA gathering intelligence due to he's missiles. You could seriously put your life at risk on the spot. I would say now is not the time to fly in my opinion. I know its not what you want to hear but unless you can get army and government clearance I wouldn't chance it

North Korea has a very sophisticated drone detection system. Nothing gets by these guys.

Weird%2BVintage%2BSound%2BLocators%2B%25284%2529.jpg

South Korea is quite large and the chances of his drone causing a stir would be minimal. Unless he plans to fly the DMZ I think he will be fine following the guidance listed about Seoul and military bases, etc.

Reactions: Neon Euc
There is a DJI flagship store near the Hongik university subway station (Hongdae area), they showed me an app that shows all the restricted zones in seoul (don't remember the name).And they told me in some cities of korea you need a permit...

Reactions: Neon Euc
I would be curious to know more about any restrictions in Seoul. There is an apartment building in Hannam-dong I will need to photograph. It's only six stories high so I wouldn't need much height. I might need to over-fly a neighbor's roof or two. I was concerned about it being near old 8th Army housing but that area is bulldozed now, will probably be more luxury apartments soon.

I suppose I could always find a local pro to do it but I hope to do the job myself.

There is a DJI flagship store near the Hongik university subway station (Hongdae area), they showed me an app that shows all the restricted zones in seoul (don't remember the name).And they told me in some cities of korea you need a permit...
So, a follow-up post....

I was hoping to make it by the DJI store, and in fact passed through the area two or three times but was all "things to do places to go people to see". Oh well. Two weeks flies by FAST.

I over-flew our property on a cold Sunday afternoon when the neighborhood was fairly quiet. Nobody said a thing. About halfway through the flight I noticed a neighbor on his roof enjoying the show, and he waved when I turned to face him, smile and offer a polite bow. Got some very useful photographs of our place and its perimeter.

After Seoul we went to see relatives in Jeongeup. I always cause a bit of a stir down there just because I'm white. The drone attracted quite a bit of additional attention. Got some pretty cool footage down there (in-town and at a nearby national park) which I have to set aside some time now to edit and put up on YouTube. I was showing it to a Korean co-worker here and she was thrilled with what I captured.

Coming back into the 'States, the Customs guy on the way out of JFK's luggage pickup was a little skeptical that the boxed-up drone, in a bright yellow e-mart bag no less, was purchased in the US. But all is well that ends well. :)

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj