Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

Use Drone in South Korea?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by MocNguyen, Jan 25, 2016.

1. MocNguyen

Hi,

I'm planning to go South Korea next week, anyone are experienced in bring phantom through Airport? and use it in Korea?

2. BC Ariel

I just went to Puerto Vallarta through ohare this month, security at ohare stared at the bird in the x-ray machine but must have figured it out because they pushed it thru after a couple minutes of staring. Absolutely no issues in Mexico what so ever. I purchased a backpack made by kazoom that fit everything I needed quite well, its faa approved for carry on and even fits in the overhead storage compartment. I'll never go anywhere without my p3p again.

MocNguyen likes this.
  3. MocNguyen

last time I fly to Myanmar, they x ray then want to keep my pt3 at the airport. It is not allowed to be used or bring into this country. I end up calling my Myanmar friend to help and pay alittle money for them.

4. BC Ariel

Guess I won't be going there. they can pry my bird from my cold dead hands

MocNguyen likes this.
  5. Argonaise

I'm from South Korea. It's not my direct experience but according to threads on Korean forum, people had taken their Phantom to abroad, and taken back without any restriction. Instead, there's regulation about carrying batteries, max 2 batteries for 1 person, the reason for minor possibility of causing fire. Battery cannot be carried in luggage, but passenger must carry it by himself.

Flying drone in these area is strictly prohibited by the regulation:
    - Entire Seoul area
    - 9.3km radius from airport/military base
    - Flying after sunset
    - Above 150m altitude
    - Crowded area

This is my experience in Korea: drones are now in hot interest in Korea, people & folks easily recognize it, and think about safety first. People know it can be fall unto them(normally it isn't), because TV showed the accidents can be caused by drones, so people easily irritated when the drone passes above them. They usually have curiosity about drones, but some of them hates to be flown around them.

I recommend that fly drone, when no one around you.

6. LuvMyTJ

LuvMyTJ ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

I found this info -

Republic of Korea...

Regulations: Both civil and military drones are widely used in South Korea, however, no official English-language documentation of regulations can be found. Secondary sources indicate that drones may be flown up to 492 feet, cannot weigh over 26.4 lbs, and cannot be flown over sensitive areas such as nuclear power plants and military bases. Commercial usage is said to require registration from the Ministry of Land, Infrastructure, and Transport.
    Source(s):Airworthiness Presentation 2013, Ministry of Government Legislation, Korea Office of Civil Aviation