Use 8th channel to take picture

Reaction score
Hello all, I'm reading the forum for about two months now (as long as I have the Phantom v1.1.1). With all of the info the Phantom has grown out to be a fully equiped machine. It's upgraded with the PMU-V2, Arris CM2000 v5, HERO3 Black, Mini iOSD, BTU, Flytrex, FPV, LiPO alarm etc. And it is flying very well although weighing approx 1300 grams. (flying times around 7 minutes)
I am also using a Futaba T8J TX/RX combo which proved to be a good investment. Using the VR-knob to tilt the gimbal.

However, I would like to 'take a picture' with the H-button of the T8J. Now the HERO3 is taking pictures every 10 seconds (limiting my framerates) but I would like to take the shot myself. Using the 8th channel of the Futuba and a switch connected to the receiver could make it work. But how to set up the Futaba, which switch to buy and how to control the Hero3 ???

I cannot imagine I'm the first one to have this idea... has it been done before ? Thanks for any thoughts on this !

Seems to me there are only two possibilities:
1) do an extensive hardware hack of the GoPro firmware so that some sort of signal through the USB or other port would act as shutter trigger. it COULD be done by someone with extensive programming knowledge, given months of time and lots of money.....or by some Jr. H.S. kid.

OR

2) rig some sort of RC controlled servo/mechanical shutter-depressing mechanism. THAT has more possibility, since the GoPro IS ON anyway, so all you have to do is depress the top shutter button on command. There would have to be a frame or strap most likely mounted ON the camera with the servo and mechanical arm attached that presses the shutter down.

Make one simple and light enough and there would be significant demand.

You could also use a "breakout" board from The gopro rear bus, tho as far as I know the remote shutter button hasn't been cracked completely yet. I have a breakout board I was planning to use for video out and audio input, but I never quite got it going how I wanted it to :(

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers