Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

USB power from a Vision

Discussion in 'Phantom 2 Vision Discussion' started by wharfbanger, Jun 21, 2014.

1. wharfbanger

Just wondering if it is possible to supply a thermal camera with USB 5V power from the Vision?

I am a geothermal scientist and have purchased a V2+ for research. I am planning to remove the stock camera/gimbal (temporarily) and fitting a Flir thermal camera. The Flir camera requires an accessory for data capture that uses mini USB for power (5V 200mA):

http://www.teax-tec.de/fileadmin/datash ... ure_en.pdf

Cheers,
    Mark

2. brizey

5v UBEC from adafruit works fine using it with a raspberry pi.

3. robby666111

The USB port on the Vision is not a host or OTG port, so therefore will not supply power to connected device.
    You can pull power off the internal connectors on the phantom mother board. Get Phantom 2 cable kit http://www.helipal.com/phantom2-22-dji-phantom-2-phantom-2-vision-cable-pack.html, and you should be able to find a suitable supply. You will need to open up the phantom, and do some research on the connectors. I know for a fact that the CAN port connector does have 5V. Then make a custom cable to go from the CAN bus port to your camera. Not the easiest I know, but it can be done.

Hope this helps.
    Cheers,
    Rob.

4. MonsieurAnon

I'm going to take a quick guess and assume that your FLIR camera is not cheap. I've flown my Phantom 2 with considerable payloads ... 390g compact mirrorless DSLRs that aren't super cheap, but probably easier to lose in a crash. Flight characteristics can change dramatically as you add weight and I highly recommend learning to fly with the stock camera then moving up through some cheaper alternatives if you cannot afford to lose your intended equipment.

Good luck.

5. CityZen

You should tap into the main battery power and use a BEC (battery-eliminator circuit, or DC-DC converter) that converts 12V to 5V. There is 5V available from either the CAN port or the FAN port, but I don't know what the supply capability is. With the BEC, you don't have to worry about it. To get main battery power, the easiest option is to tap from one of the motor power cables. The alternative is the battery cable connection, but it is under the wifi module.