urban flying - GPS

Reaction score
I notice most videos I watch are in wide open areas. I plan to film in urban areas but I'm struggling with getting enough GPS satellites.

I have to have 7 sats before GPS mode will work?

I understand your problem. Living in the woods, I place mine in my large driveway turn around and most of the time have to wait for enough satellites. I've waited as much as 15-17 minutes. With buildings you will/may run into the same problem. I go out in the open and before I am ready with the phone I have 7-9 satellites.
Well, the manual states 6 to get a set location. I like to wait to make sure I don't loose one just before take off.

I occasionally fly in super dense urban area and my FPV signal is affected way more than GPS. I get GPS lock maybe 30 seconds to 1 minute longer than it takes in a rural area.

If you're running a non-vision with a separate FPV transmitter, definitely go for higher power vTx like 500 or 600mW.

I get the opposite. My FPV will get the occasional 5.8GHz data blips (horizontal lines) from WiFi routers but is otherwise totally fine. Contrast that with my GPS which suffers a lot even if only 1/4 of the sky is obscured by a building. Normally in a open space, I get 9-10 on the ground and 11-14 in the air. But with 5 story building about 30ft away, I'll get 5-6 after a couple of minutes and in the air it doesn't get much better.

Practicing my ATTI but it is a pain when then wind isn't cooperating.

I do all urban flying so far.
Haven't had a problem without getting enough sats to fly with.
Once the green lights come on, I'm flying.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4