Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

UPS Drone test. Massachusets USA

Discussion in 'News' started by N017RW, Sep 23, 2016.

1. N017RW

2. Cobs

Stupidest thing ive heard for some time lol what about kids/dogs/bullets/weather/other ... does the guy stand nearby and fly it over the fence or use Litchi?

3. Fifty7

UPS employees were on the island to witness the delivery. They couldn't just bring the inhaler with them? :p

Cobs likes this.
  4. Phantom4Flyer

Good idea, in a sparsely populated area, but has issues in need of resolution before it can be viable on a large scale. There are still no viable solutions for collision avoidance, short of putting a drone under full time air traffic control, separating it from all VFR ops, and that would get complicated very quickly if it became a common thing.

5. kenundrum

Funny. My friend was there as part of the film crew documenting it. He was saying they had a few aircraft up at once, but at least one was simply doing video recording of the others for pr clips. The fully autonomous ones had a pilot on standby in case they went wonky.

Sent from my SM-G920P using PhantomPilots mobile app

6. Sagebrush

Within five years this will be a common practice for delivery. Not sure when saving fuel and labor costs and increasing profits was stupid.

SB

7. TheLightSpeedz

Well I'm sure anyone that does this will require LiDar system on all angles to avoid hitting things.

Someone is going to do this... Imagine a immediate shipping within 100 mile radius of he packaging center? Or even a bigger radius. Big octocopter with big batteries that go for long enough to carry a payload for a 100 miles!

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

8. TheLightSpeedz

They have to be super safe... Like airplanes. They can't fall out of the sky, ever!

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

9. azpilot61

HAHA UPS drives the truck up the street to the dead end, gets out and then flies the drone 500' across an empty lot.. I think its going to be a while before drones carry much more than that for the size they are testing with

10. GMack

If anyone watched the 3 hour FAA webinar, there was a point in it where Kevin said "It wasn't going to happen" with reference to flying Amazon drones. Too many violations would occur as the rules now stand. Probably the over peoples heads and line of sight ones. No doubt they'd need to come up with some lower-level airspace ATC or something.

11. Sagebrush

I must have missed that on Kevin's webinar. (I didn't sit in on the Q&As so perhaps that's when he mentioned it?)

I've got inside information from a contractor that provides software for the FAA... Amazon will be delivering packages to certain regions via drone. She wouldn't say when but the FAA will make it work.

SB

12. GMack

Could be this.

Speech – "NextGen, New Airspace Users in Colorado"

About 2/3 way down they do mention drones as maybe part of this new radar system. This sounds like some new satellite system that might be replacing land-based radar that cannot see down to surface level between mountains and valleys and maybe see a drone as well? Must be some sort of 3D infrared sighting setup to see at specific layers of altitude, no doubt they already have the resolution to do so. There was mention about a Metroplex satellite system in that Huntington Beach drone ordinance video council meeting and the impact the Metroplex might have on drones, but that all got tabled for a later meeting. Someone on that council knows something.

Big Brother will see you and your drone soon -- maybe.

13. Sagebrush