Uploading videos

Reaction score
Just wondering how most people go about uploading videos on their computers or social media.

Most the time I use the video from the DJI app and quickly edit, add their corny music, and upload it to instagram. The video quality kinda sucks, but it's quick. But I'm just wondering how the videos stay on the app, but not my iPhone photo album, when the drone is turned off. Does it save into some kind of DJI cloud or is it taking space on my phone? Because it only goes into my photo albums if I edit a short video.

Then I finally decided to try actually uploading to a computer. When I insert the SD card into the computer, I can't play it right away, it forces me to upload it. And the upload takes forever for a video that's 3-5 minutes. And I'm using an iMac. When I tried to upload to my cheap $300 Dell all in one I got on Black Friday, it was having a hard time playing my videos, like it would play for 5 seconds and then the image freezes while the bottom scroll was still moving like if the video was still going.

The DJI app is the fastest way, but video quality sucks. But getting the video direct from the SD card is the only way to get the HD quality video direct from source. But the process is long and if I wanna try get like 30-60 minutes of footage it will take forever. Plus on the iMac, it wouldn't let me play the videos without uploading them, meaning I have to download it and take up space on my computer.

Is there any easier way to get your videos?

Well here's a video of my DJI Standard chasing some seagulls in Newport Beach CA. Also got my drone to fly with the seagulls while they were flying stationary in high wind. I got some people to laugh.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

If you want to play the videos on your iMac, it's best to record in .MOV. You should be able to play them straight off the card without having to download.....When your card reader shows on the screen, double click it, and then double click on the DCIM folder, then double click on MEDIA. This will bring up a list of all the movies on the card. Double click on the one you want to watch, and it should open as a quicktime movie which you can then play.
If it doesn't open, single click on the movie you want to watch, and press Command and I on the keyboard .....This brings up an inspector panel, and near the bottom is a box that has "open with" options...make sure this is set to "quicktime movie player" and you should be able to watch the video.

Harassing wildlife is considered a no-no by most people. It's just one more action giving all drone flyers a bad name.

Using an iMac I have no trouble uploading 4K videos to YouTube using iMovie, which comes with your iMac. If you have an older iMac your processor may not be up to the task of handling all the data from a 4K camera. And uploading video always takes a while, even with a good high speed internet connection.

Reactions: 66Fury
Sorry,Jetfalcon, i knew as soon as you said"chasing" you was gonna get more hell for that than help for your prob. You really got to be careful what you say on here, the Haters are always watching and waiting!

Sorry,Jetfalcon, i knew as soon as you said"chasing" you was gonna get more hell for that than help for your prob. You really got to be careful what you say on here, the Haters are always watching and waiting!
I think it's important that we police ourselves and each other so that the actual police don't.

That said, not as many folks will take issue with this video because seagulls are basically flying rats. Buzz a pod of baby seals and the haters will really come out.

In reference to your issue, are you using iPhoto, or finder? I have no issue previewing in finder, and I use QuickTime to trim before I toss it in iMovie.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Reactions: AngryBird
The above explanation is fine for iMac, but what about windows.

Could I ask a question regarding uploading quality to YouTube.?

New to this, I have a Phantom 3 standard with the 2.7k camera. I'm really pleased with the results. I've been recording in 2.7 but when I've uploaded the footage via the SD card on my computer, it is only showing on YouTube as 1440p? I'm a complete novice to this and cannot understand why? Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Forgot to mention, I normally view my footage on my Nexus 6 mobile, could it be he maximum for my screen and that's why I only see 1440p? Confused...

Youtube won't do above 1080. So film/ edit in 2.7 or higher and output to 1080 for upload to youtube. Still a better quality than filming in 1080 then uploading in 1080 plus you still have great quality original video clips for the future.

Not true. You can upload up to 1440 which is the vertical lines of resolution.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I think it's important that we police ourselves and each other so that the actual police don't.

That said, not as many folks will take issue with this video because seagulls are basically flying rats. Buzz a pod of baby seals and the haters will really come out.

In reference to your issue, are you using iPhoto, or finder? I have no issue previewing in finder, and I use QuickTime to trim before I toss it in iMovie.

I used iPhoto and uploaded them. The computer would not let me watch my videos direct from the SD card, I had to transfer them to the iMac.

And my cheap computer can't even handle playing the video.

Is video playback off an SD card really require a good computer? I assumed this was a basic function but it seems like cheap computers hesitate when it comes to uploading vids off an SD card.

Harassing wildlife is considered a no-no by most people. It's just one more action giving all drone flyers a bad name.

Using an iMac I have no trouble uploading 4K videos to YouTube using iMovie, which comes with your iMac. If you have an older iMac your processor may not be up to the task of handling all the data from a 4K camera. And uploading video always takes a while, even with a good high speed internet connection.

Are seagulls classified as wildlife, they seem more like urban animals since they're eating outta the garbage.

I thought the whole wild life drone laws only come into play when you're at a National Park. Would cops or life guards really try to cite me for flying a drone around seagulls or pigeons. What if I did it to random people and troll them, could I get in trouble if they decide to get the police? I thought of it but then I don't wanna do it to the wrong person who has no humor, plus don't want to risk injuring someone.

So far, no one has ever complained to me about my drone. Most people are usually fascinated by it and ask me a bunch of questions. Kids will swarm me sometimes and want to touch it.

My friend was recently flying out in his inspire and Seigels took it out dive bombed it it went crashing down $3000 gone I'd be careful

Reactions: Tony Cowan
My friend was recently flying out in his inspire and Seigels took it out dive bombed it it went crashing down $3000 gone I'd be careful

Seagulls can attack drones, they seem to just fly away from it? Well it's a Standard so not as much stake as the Inspire. I got the cheapest one so I can actually enjoy it. But ya do birds think drones are people or another bird? Because seagulls don't mind being next to each other with other birds, but once something is not a bird they get scared of it. So how do they determine what's fine to be next to and what to fly away from?

Ya it's always a risk to fly a drone, but then it's a waste to not want to fly it because you're scared of losing it.

That's kind of a nature question. I imagine they probably have no idea what it is, which is why they're scared of it. It smells like a person, but it certainly doesn't look like one.

Personally, I think that showing God's creatures a modicum of respect never hurt anyone, and that's coming from a hunter.

Reactions: Propagandy
Not true. You can upload up to 1440 which is the vertical lines of resolution.

Let me try this again........
Unless things changed recently nothing uploaded to youtube will render more than 1080P. So if you load 1440 it will render to 1080P
If you were to upload 2.7K it would render to 1080P.
Last I checked, all youtube output is 1080P.
Usually resizing to 1080P first works better when uploading.
I didn't indicate that concept well in my previous post.

Let me try this again........
Unless things changed recently nothing uploaded to youtube will render more than 1080P. So if you load 1440 it will render to 1080P
If you were to upload 2.7K it would render to 1080P.
Last I checked, all youtube output is 1080P.
Usually resizing to 1080P first works better when uploading.
I didn't indicate that concept well in my previous post.
Here's a screen shot of my phone, where I can choose the quality of the playback at YouTube.
If the video is uploaded at or above 1440, it will playback up to 1440
74a0279f6a1847b7c2761d607ffd6784.jpg

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31