Uploaded video to YouTube in 4K but now limited to 1080P

Reaction score
Most of the videos I've uploaded to YouTube in the last year have been in 4K and I've had issues, reported here, that some of the videos, although uploaded in 4K, would not be available in 4K for upwards of 4 days. In one case I had to delete and reupload in 4K. Now, however, a video that was uploaded in 4K and available in 4K in no longer available in 4K -- max res of 1080P. Interestingly, the video in question was one of the videos the YT was slow to make available in 4K.

So, I'm not sure what YT is doing and I've sent the two messages about it and not a word from them in nearly a week. The video is still only available at 1080P or less. has anyone else seen this and have an idea on what to do? I mean, I could delete again and reupload again, but I'd rather not do that.

Brian

Reactions: AndrewCCM
YouTube is cancer. Create an account at Vimeo and upload there. I have the Basic plan and don't have to deal with YouTube playing its childish games.

I'm not sure what games YT would be playing here, my guess is either the higher res files were corrupted or some other automated system automatically deleted something, but I can't see anything intentional. What bothers me about these big tech companies is that they don't think they need to have people in the loop and that they're so smart they can control everything with software. I'm not sure how Vimeo would be immune from that. But maybe I misunderstand -- is there something else you're trying to say here?

Brian

4K looks best at 1440 on youtube and it presents well on a 30 inch screen. 4K looks great on 70 inch screen . Vimeo has one of the best codecs for streaming video as mentioned. Again 1440 is the promised land.

4K looks best at 1440 on youtube and it presents well on a 30 inch screen. 4K looks great on 70 inch screen . Vimeo has one of the best codecs for streaming video as mentioned. Again 1440 is the promised land.

Interesting... I have basic Vimeo account, but if I recall the daily upload limit is pretty “limiting”. Haven’t used it in quite a while. Perhaps things have changed. I too had issues with some 4K not ever converting and had to reupload to YTube for it finally to convert. Sometimes, if I add some of their stock music, it’ll revert to 1080P 60 and not 4K as well. I need to do some testing with the 1440 “Promised land” workflow. I have always felt the 4K looked pretty darn good (better than the 1440) even on my less than 4K screens. Hmm.. Definitely going to check your recommendations out...including Vimeo once again...

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DonT