Upgrading to a P4

Reaction score
Having had my Phantom 2 Vision for about a year, I upgraded the gimbal to a Rotorpixel and was testing it again at my home. I set it up on the driveway between the garage door and my van which was a small area. I live in a cul d sac next to an undeveloped area. Beyond the trees is a large man made lake. I wanted to fly over the trees, about 100' to the lake. I hadn't flown NLOS much at this point. I took off. Determined the trees were about 60' high so flew about 80'. I turned the camera straight down so I could watch the ground and tell when I reached the lake. Just as I past over the far edge of the tree line I lost video connection! Not only could I not see it, I could barely hear it. I pulled back on the right stick and glanced down at the heads up display. I saw a number lowering from 80 and thought the P2 was descending! I pushed the left stick forward to climb, looked again at the display and that number continued to reduce. 70, 68...etc. I'm afraid it's going to hit the trees so I push the left stick up more. Number still falling! I barely hear it and imagine it's going to hit trees. I hit RTH...first time ever. It seems to get louder and I believe I hear it crash into the trees. In my minds eye, I can imagine it falling through branches, motors running wildly trying to right itself, all the while destroying the blades and who knows what else! I couldn't believe it! Finally, knowing I had to retrieve it and try to salvage what I could I walked toward the woods and just as I cleared the driveway into the grass, I could hear it, right above me. I look up and there it is, apparently coming home and completely intact! I regain control and bring it in for a landing. So thankful it's completely undamaged. Just moments before I thought it was toast!

Watching the recorded video I could see it did begin to return when I asked it to. It did ascend both times I pushed it up. I could even tell when the RTH occurred. So how did I get so confused from reality?

First, I wasn't that familiar with the display. I had not paid that much attention to the numbers at least those numbers. The number that was going down was in fact the distance, not altitude. I panicked and got tunnel vision. No LOS and my hearing was apparently impaired because of standing against my garage. As soon as I walked away from it, I could tell it was above it. I had never used RTH and thought it just flew into the trees.

Moral of the story, learn the equipment. Practice the different modes that you might use in a safe area. Fly LOS and/or be very familiar with what your display is telling you. I just bought a P4 and am just reading the manual, calibrating and getting familiar with the GO App. Hope to take it out tomorrow or Monday.

Geo

Well, made my first flight with the P4. After calibrating the compass it said I needed to update the remote. Had a green light to fly so I did. Kept it close and no higher than 100'. It flew perfect! The positioning compared to my P2 is off the chart! It sticks right where it is, even when panning. I tried the POI and it was nice. I can't wait to try that on an actual tall object...that I have in mind.

I used my Samsung S7 but I also have an iPad Pro 9.7. However, how does one cable it up?
Geo

Reactions: ftttu
Instead of starting a new thread I have 1 question regarding the P4... which DJI GO app should be used when using the P4? The original DJI GO or the DJI GO 4? Whats the difference? Thanks!

Hi, phantom 4 is a great machine t fly with, some really great features and is a world apart from the p2 but you will know this by now as you have already flown it. I fly my with a ipad mini 2. There are many different cable lengths you can use. I have a 12 inch lead which is short enough not to get in the way. Currently I am running on the dji go app 3. haven't changed it yet to the 4. Gonna wait until all the bugs have been ironed out first

Instead of starting a new thread I have 1 question regarding the P4... which DJI GO app should be used when using the P4? The original DJI GO or the DJI GO 4? Whats the difference? Thanks!
Google around and find an older version of DJI GO -- I'm running 2.9.1. The 3.X versions replaced google maps with HERE maps, which is absolute, complete useless crap. The satellite view with HERE has insufficient resolution to see any detail smaller than about 50 ft.

I haven't been able to find anything else buggy, or missing (feature) compared to the 3.X releases... I think there were a few obscure bug fixes, and mostly just support for new models.

Hey Geo, are you enjoying your P4 still, update us on your experience between the two Phantoms.

Well I've had the P4 out twice. I captured an iconic sign in town and used the POI mode...which is awesome. My P2 is grounded because I have no video feed, just telemetry. I can't believe how stable the P4 is. It just sticks in place! Too windy today but anxious to get it out and up again.
I also found out my home is within 2.8 miles of a class 4 airport. Not sure what I should do if anything since I can still fly it. Thought of calling the airport for a recommendation.

Geo

Since there that close , you might just stop by and introduce yourself, tell them about your equipment and your flying intentions. I'm sure they will more than welcome you into there air space within common reason, I'm not sure where you are or country your in , but if in the states then go shake hands and ask in person, especially if it's just local guys and not international airport

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers