Upgrading the Vision 2 camera?

Hi texami! You just posted a rare example of what kind of quality one should expect from the original P2V camera at it's best. If the lens is focused properly and there is no lens alignment errors, this is obviously the sharpness one could get out of it. Not bad at all. Not DSLR quality, but something I could easily live with. Lucky you!

Since my own P2V with dronexpert gimbal is not yet arrvived, I've been going thru the different P2V photo samples around the internet. Up until now I've seen only few other examples of similar quality photos like from your new camera. Unfortunetely most of the samples I've seen are much more blurry and partly or totally misfocused/misaligned. I guess many cameras from the first production batches have been very poor quality and hopefully DJI is now getting their quality control in better shape.

I'm a little bit worried about the quality of my upcoming P2V camera and hopefully it has a similar sharpness as yours. I already asked the Dronexpert-team to check out my camera before the shipment, so that they would not send me the one of the blurry and half sharp cameras. I should get my P2V next week, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed. :cool:

It sure would be nice to be able to try out one of your good quality dng-files in post processing. So is there any chance, you could share download link to any of the raw-files from your new camera?

Thanks in advance!

-jonzalez-

nhoover said:
Yes the quality is astoundingly bad compared to any camera I've ever owned. My first digital was a 3.3 mpixel Casio 14 years ago and it took decent photos. This does not. And the video is just as you say. I am on my seconds FC200 camera and will be getting a third in a week.

Ragecams is very interesting to me. About a week ago their CEO told me he as done 4 of the upgrades. He also told me that besides fixing the fisheye-ness, the upgrade will fix the problems I have with soft focus on one side. Their sample looks ok to me. That lens plus a gimbal and it might be worth continuing with the P2V. As it is, photography-wise, I feel ripped off. Although it is such as blast to fly, I still enjoy it. Using the lens correction filter on every shot is not my idea of fun.

Lately I've been looking into the Sony 100M II. The idea of flying a camera around of that quality, with tilt and shutter control and FPV, is very compelling. The droneexport.nl kit is "slightly" expensive though :D http://dronexpert.nl/product/dji-phanto ... converter/
Well, Not sure whether this is good or bad news. Ragecams, Dennis send me back my camera with the modifications. I could not connect it to my receiver???? So Back to Ragecams it went. Apparently they cannot figure out what went wrong and cannot fix. I am asking myself, Am I out the fees and shipping I paid ragecams? Will I need to spend another $500 for a replacement camera? I don't have answers to these questions yet, but you can bet I will followup on all the forums with the good or bad news!

This is a direct quote from their website "This is very easy and safe to do.

To order this service please go ahead & place your order, & if you want the deluxe mod with filter kit select that also.

We ask that you mail us your camera & the repeater receiver part only.

We insure our work & have modded well over 1000 gopro cameras & 10 vision2 camera to date. Your camera will come back ready to film as soon as you connect it back to the vision2."

here is a link to their site:
http://ragecams.com/shop/54mm-lens-inst ... p-658.html

Dennis keeps telling me how overwhelmed he is. He had better take care of his customers of that will change real fast.

Here is an image I shot today. No adjustments have been made to the file.

Is this what your asking?

Remember I bought the P2V in November 2013. It was one of the first ones sold in the US.

Well I would love to show you the raw image but can't seem to upload it with this post.

Any ideas?

One quite easy way to share some files is to sign in to http://www.dropbox.com

It's free and they will give you 2 GB of free space you can use to save and share your files online. Dropbox is also very handy, if and when you need to share some of your files in between your own computers, laptops, tablets or phones.

I've been using dropbox many years and I can highly recommend it. Drop your raw-file there and share the direct link to anyone you care. It's easy and it's free.

Time Stamp and Zoom would be very welcome features. It actually shocks me that Time Stamp isn't already part of the package. I rely on time stamp when using multiple video camera's together.

I just received this email from DJI - is it just a teaser or is it for real??

Attachments

• 2014-03-25 08_36_32-Inbox.jpg
    2014-03-25 08_36_32-Inbox.jpg
    128.2 KB · Views: 360
I asked DJI the same question regarding Gimbal for P2V; here is the answer:
haha, maybe, but I'm not sure, please check for updates on our website,

cougar said:
I asked DJI the same question regarding Gimbal for P2V; here is the answer:
haha, maybe, but I'm not sure, please check for updates on our website,
here is the reply from their sales dept.

Attachments

• DJIreply (2).jpg
    DJIreply (2).jpg
    127.2 KB · Views: 324
bobomet said:
So am I reading this correctly?
Is it saying DJI will have a 3-axis gimbal for the P2V in April 2014?
I guess you could read it that way.... I would be happy for now with 2 axis, but it would make sense to come out with a 3 axis to get ahead of the "competition"!! :)

So, I guess it will be bye bye business for Rotorpixel, in terms of DJI Phantom 2 Vision, right?

cavaleiro01 said:
So, I guess it will be bye bye business for Rotorpixel, in terms of DJI Phantom 2 Vision, right?
Well, if it is priced to be competitive, I will buy! Not sure if there is a waiting list

You never know what some young Chinese entrepreneur might develop within the body of a FC200 Camera housing.
If you were a hungry developer...you might just decide to create a better camera for the Vision.

Stranger things have happened.

I agree that with any DJI Vision gimbal it will probably launch as part of a bundle with the rumoured Vision+ / Vision3 - assuming those rumours are true - and not with the Vision camera as we know it. I'm going to assume it's called Vision+ because it's got a 2/3 axis gimbal and an improved camera/optics, otherwise what's the point of a whole new aircraft, just allow everyone to buy gimbals and bolt them to their P2V...

I don't think it's commercial suicide to encourage your core customer (who by dint of the cost of these things is not low-net worth) to trade up to the next model... They did ir with P2 to P1 (whole new battery setup, not backwards compatible - want 25 minute flights? Buy a P2 even if you have a P1), they didn't make the H3-2D upgradable to 3-axis, just brought out a new H3-3D (want 3rd axis stabilisation now? Have to buy a whole new gimbal)...

But you're right, we won't know until they say something official - as soon as we see pics of the Vision+ it should be obvious if it could be backwards compatibleif they've kept the same camera format and haven't baked it into the gimbal itself (which would make sense, as you're never going to take it off like a GoPro)...

Pull_Up, its true what you say but at the same time, you will put off people who did buy a product just to find it superseded with no option to upgrade the one they have. I am thinking PC v Apple here. I fall into the PC category and if I find (as will very many others) that I have not other way to go but to try and sell and buy a new one, then I will sell but not buy a model that can not be upgraded, simple, so lost customer. I love how the vision fly s, even in the strong winds we have just now but I wont be hamstrung. When I feel its time for me to upgrade I will but if I don't have the vision route open to me, I will just close it and move on.

RamDez said:
Pull_Up, its true what you say but at the same time, you will put off people who did buy a product just to find it superseded with no option to upgrade the one they have. I am thinking PC v Apple here. I fall into the PC category and if I find (as will very many others) that I have not other way to go but to try and sell and buy a new one, then I will sell but not buy a model that can not be upgraded, simple, so lost customer. I love how the vision fly s, even in the strong winds we have just now but I wont be hamstrung. When I feel its time for me to upgrade I will but if I don't have the vision route open to me, I will just close it and move on.

I agree with you it would be nice if they did that. I'm just saying it would be a bit of a departure for them if they did!

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4