Upgrading the stock GPS antenna= more sats

capodrone81 said:
robinb said:
capodrone81 said:
thanks for the insight. so theoretically the people with most current model phantoms will see no benefit from upgrading?

In theory anything is possible.

oh yea thats right, I forgot about you. Your the one who took the idea from thread OP and now is turning a profit pumping out these for 25 dollars a piece in both the classified section and eBay.....

BE careful....

I may under cut your business and sell these for 5.00 shipped very soon using your design!

:roll:

Wow says the one advertising a load of stuff on their signature !

If you can source the materials for this then go ahead. Let alone the time involved and the cutting machine which costs over $1200.
People can choose to buy or not to buy.

i may just give them away for free now including shipping. just to prove a point. don't steal other ideas from other members hard work. tsk tsk.

my signature at least is my own not based off someone else hard work.

should i take a screen shot of your recent posts? notice a trend ? eBay links, classified threads, and responding to threads like this that could potentially deter your stolen profits.

Im done. you won't see my point because its very clear. you stole an idea , and now are turning a serious profit.

Hardly.

The shield was already there and discussed.

Feel fine to give them away for free but $25 is hardly serious profit when the material cost is high and world wide shipping and handling included.

think you need to get a life and stop promoting your own sales in signature.!

Wait a minute someone is making money off my findings...... LOL. That is the beauty of open source. I could have hid it for a couple of months but eventually it would have come out as to why everyone sending their drones to me was seeing more satellites than most. I hope to see more innovations with this platform but it appears that all the hardware issues have now been resolved. I am not a software guy.....

Jeremy James

lol.... tsk tsk tsk... were all here to help each other.

I bought like 6 antenna's and shipping costs to Australia was $40US for 1 or 50 units.... so I just split the cost of total by 6 and in the end a few people paid like $12 for an antenna... instead of $6 for antenna + $40 shipping, each. I made no profit.

bit of a **** move to profit...... to each to there own.

kirk2579 said:
When I got home from work today the digikey box was waiting with 2 new gps antennas. I oem and the second a 4mm .

CGGP.25.4.A.02

Description
GPS GLONASS PATCH 1575.42MHZ

As it was 9 degree here in ohio I decided to fix my not really broken vision plus. I installed the new 4mm wider freq range patch. It fit tight but ok. I had about 2inches of foil wrap on my gps lead already but added another couple inches. Ran under the factory shield all the way to back and tested.

I have had only a few weeks but it takes 3 -4 minutes to hit the 5-6-7 sat range in my drive and it will drop in and out of lock at times. NEVER in the house even a peep on the satellites.

Tonight I got full sat lock in my fricken kitchen and lower level garage. Did not believe it so I restarted and retested again and again. Best $5.00 and half hour spent in long time. Can't wait to get it up to test in the air. I normally see 6 to 8 here once up about 30 ft

Does anyone know if the CGGP.25.4.A.02 is any better then the GP.1575.25.4.A.02. Has anyone used both? I see that the CGGP.25.4.A.02 has a wider frequency, but as far as real life performances... any ideas?

toenee said:
kirk2579 said:
When I got home from work today the digikey box was waiting with 2 new gps antennas. I oem and the second a 4mm .

CGGP.25.4.A.02

Description
GPS GLONASS PATCH 1575.42MHZ

As it was 9 degree here in ohio I decided to fix my not really broken vision plus. I installed the new 4mm wider freq range patch. It fit tight but ok. I had about 2inches of foil wrap on my gps lead already but added another couple inches. Ran under the factory shield all the way to back and tested.

I have had only a few weeks but it takes 3 -4 minutes to hit the 5-6-7 sat range in my drive and it will drop in and out of lock at times. NEVER in the house even a peep on the satellites.

Tonight I got full sat lock in my fricken kitchen and lower level garage. Did not believe it so I restarted and retested again and again. Best $5.00 and half hour spent in long time. Can't wait to get it up to test in the air. I normally see 6 to 8 here once up about 30 ft

Does anyone know if the CGGP.25.4.A.02 is any better then the GP.1575.25.4.A.02. Has anyone used both? I see that the CGGP.25.4.A.02 has a wider frequency, but as far as real life performances... any ideas?

The first antenna you mention is designed for Glonass systems that work at a slightly higher frequency than we are utilizing. I have heard rumors that European destined Phantoms use the Glonass satellites but I can confirm that and have been too busy to research it further.

Here is the one you need. Both antennas would work just one is tuned to work properly with the existing GPS receiver and on board filtering.

http://www.digikey.com/product-search/e ... =search_go

Thanks to Justin00 for supplying me a Taoglas GP1575.25.4.A.02.
Worked a treat.
Having both shielded and upgraded Ceramic GPS antenna, I have been able to acquire 14 sats for the first time.

14%20Sats.png

I'll just slide this right here... the neo 6m is used in the phantom 2..

DJI puck:
https://www.u-blox.com/sites/default/files/products/documents/NEO-6_DataSheet_(GPS.G6-HW-09005).pdf
http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/taoglas-limited/GP.1575.25.4.A.02/931-1015-ND/2332642

you will see the stock gps antenna can ONLY receive gps..non of the other bands..however..
You will also notice the neo 6 gps chip can only receive GPS. so when you upgrade the antenna, your just upgrading dbi.

the new gps pucks have this chip, but the antenna cant pick up the glonass or bedu frequency bands and neither can a stock p2v+ antenna as their the same. the protocols do not exist on the neo 6 period.

chinnesse puck:
https://www.u-blox.com/sites/default/files/NEO-M8_DataSheet_(UBX-13003366).pdf
http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/taoglas-limited/GP.1575.25.4.A.02/931-1015-ND/2332642

So the answer here is while this antenna can pick up more sats...the neo 6 CANNOT support the glonnas sats,or bedu or galaieo...whereas the neo 8mn can.

http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/taoglas-limited/CGGBP.35.6.A.02/931-1315-ND/4849881

this antenna will be a good upgrade to get more sats, and IF you have a puck like one i have that has a neo 8 mn on it (thank you china) and replace its antenna with this one, you get ALOT more sats and much better hover..plus the other constellations

MY explanation in a video so you guys can follow it better..

Thanks for that great info.

So I appreciate this is a bit old and from what I can see the post from shade has been criticized in other threads or forums, but I've recently picked up a P2 decided to give this a go anyway. No idea how many of these are even still out there...but I think it's still relevant.

TL;DR, it works insofar as getting you a few more satellites and is much quicker to lock on.

"A LOT" more satellites? No. Anything other than GPS satellites? Probably not. I have no way to tell. No idea how separate systems are translated in the context of what the Phantom's naza wants to see.

In my case, I was getting about 8-9 on the ground and 10 in the air. I locked pretty quickly with this with 11 initially and soon after 14 on the ground. I didn't see any increase at 100m. Now, this antenna that's used is huge. Without shaving anything more than the stock GPS puck mounts and the ribs around it, it smacks into the naza. The case will fit together, but puts some pressure on the naza and subsequently the board. How much pressure and whether it's detrimental to anything in the long run I can't say. A quick 10m flight was fine. Was it more stable? Seemed so, and it was a bit windier than it has been, but I'm sure YMMV. Would the smaller antenna be better (GP.1575.25.4.A.02)? Dunno yet. But I'm going to swap it over, also on the new unit and see how it compares.

So...there you go.

Just make sure you check Digi-Key on the antenna your using, and make sure the chip is a neo 8. Those older unbranded antennas can't pick up bedu or glonnas. I had 17 in Pensacola Florida 100 ft into the air. Also make sure to cut away a square for the plastic in the center their so you don't put pressure on the board and put the shielding back in place. If you attach it to the ground plane of the circuit it yields a lot more. Currently I no longer use this method. I'm using their new chip with Rtk to get centimeter accuracy. Albeit it's not drop in but it can be adapted to work. Keep in mind when I say A lot more, 5 is considered a lot..but we haves moved much further on in tracking with drones now and gps alone is very old news. Neo m8p is where it's at with the base rover concept

Last edited by a moderator:
Since I had pretty much everybody ridicule me for doing what I did and trying to share it, y'all are on your own in this :)

I don't know why you ran into ridicule, shade. I did your Neo 8 mod with the upgraded board and puck last summer and now get a much better sat count. I had commonly been getting 6 to 9 sats in my location with stock, but now get an easy 14 sats with the mod. Certainly gives me more confidence having the 14 rather than a fluctuating 7. I for one thank you for the tutorial. Made my P2V+ a better machine.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20