Upgrading the stock GPS antenna= more sats

You can do it.... :) If you take a thin knife and slide it under the GPS antenna you can apply heat to the stock antenna pin on the other side of the board with a solder gun/pen. Just keep advancing your blade or tool to wedge the antenna off. I like to preheat everything with a heat gun or hair dryer to soften up the glue and keep the antenna from heat sinking the solder to quickly.

The antenna rotation on the board is not a factor in the installation other than trying to keep it from interfering with the plastic mounts. You also want to try and keep the majority of it centered over its ground plane.

Lots of good info here. Looking forward to doing this mod when my Taoglas gps antenna arrives.

WyattEarp said:
Does anyone know if there is a replacement GPS that supports both Glonass and GPS satellites?

I just accidently ordered one last week from digikey I think. wont know until I get and get a chance to try it.

931-1126-ND ---4mm

Quantity Available
Digi-Key Stock: 492
Can ship immediately

Manufacturer
Taoglas Limited

Manufacturer Part Number

CGGP.25.4.A.02

Description
GPS GLONASS PATCH 1575.42MHZ

Part Number

1 1 1 0 0 931-1126-ND CGGP.25.4.A.02 5.08000 $5.08 g
2 1 1 0 0 931-1016-ND GP.1575.25.2.A.02 4.75000 $4.75

part number

931-1015-np is 4mm regular

WyattEarp said:
Does anyone know if there is a replacement GPS that supports both Glonass and GPS satellites?

I read the other day that the DJI A2 flight controller receives both, hence its high price.

WyattEarp said:
Most GPS receiver modules will receive GPS and GlONASS, but the software has to be able to handle the different protocols.
While we're at it, why not a universal system that gathers data from GPS, GLONASS, IRNSS (India), Galileo (EU) and COMPASS (China)?

When I got home from work today the digikey box was waiting with 2 new gps antennas. I oem and the second a 4mm .

CGGP.25.4.A.02

Description

As it was 9 degree here in ohio I decided to fix my not really broken vision plus. I installed the new 4mm wider freq range patch. It fit tight but ok. I had about 2inches of foil wrap on my gps lead already but added another couple inches. Ran under the factory shield all the way to back and tested.

I have had only a few weeks but it takes 3 -4 minutes to hit the 5-6-7 sat range in my drive and it will drop in and out of lock at times. NEVER in the house even a peep on the satellites.

Tonight I got full sat lock in my fricken kitchen and lower level garage. Did not believe it so I restarted and retested again and again. Best $5.00 and half hour spent in long time. Can't wait to get it up to test in the air. I normally see 6 to 8 here once up about 30 ft

kirk2579 said:
When I got home from work today the digikey box was waiting with 2 new gps antennas. I oem and the second a 4mm .

CGGP.25.4.A.02

Description

As it was 9 degree here in ohio I decided to fix my not really broken vision plus. I installed the new 4mm wider freq range patch. It fit tight but ok. I had about 2inches of foil wrap on my gps lead already but added another couple inches. Ran under the factory shield all the way to back and tested.

I have had only a few weeks but it takes 3 -4 minutes to hit the 5-6-7 sat range in my drive and it will drop in and out of lock at times. NEVER in the house even a peep on the satellites.

Tonight I got full sat lock in my fricken kitchen and lower level garage. Did not believe it so I restarted and retested again and again. Best $5.00 and half hour spent in long time. Can't wait to get it up to test in the air. I normally see 6 to 8 here once up about 30 ft

Expect to see 10 or more once up in the air.... Your welcome :D

I installed the taoglas patch, and if works great.

One hint:
Be very careful when removing the GPS module screws. They are self-tapped into soft plastic, and very tight. It's super easy to strip the heads.
Dji has really cheaped out on the fastening hardware. It's all very soft steel.

nwillitts said:
ok-just got 2 of these from digikey.
anybody else?

I have now upgraded 40-50 owners and forum users Vision +. It is a must have for reliable flight. If you have the top open be sure to do the wifi heat sink mod. You might as well do the additional shielding and retension the GPS plug while you are in there. If you have a version with the upgraded motors please check your esc's and consider doing the flexible motor wire upgrade.

Here is the link to it

viewtopic.php?f=27&t=28176

Jeremy James

nwillitts said:
um,i have a decked out phantom 1.1.1
over a year and a half now.it will work on this?

I had one also and just sold it. But I search around for info on gps in that and couldn't find any. If I still had it I would have checked just because!

I would like to know though as my neighbor does have one still.

I still have to wonder why you guys have so many problems with GPS sats. I always get more sats than on the web sites show that I should have that have been posted on here. I got my P2+v3 in Dec '14.

dalebb said:
I still have to wonder why you guys have so many problems with GPS sats. I always get more sats than on the web sites show that I should have that have been posted on here. I got my P2+v3 in Dec '14.

Day 1 I tested my P2+v2 and saw about 8 sats, dropping to 5 when recording. Did the mod using Al tape, covered by a layer of packing tape. Did not wrap the cable seperately. Now I get 9-14 sats every time, all the time. For some people the mod doesn't seem to work for whatever reason. I personally would never change my gps antenna now that my shielding is fixed. AND I didn't even make my connector loose in the process! :lol:

dalebb said:

the v3 incorporates some of OUR (users) sat fixes from trial and error

also in all electronics and anmade things , sometimes stuff happens and all is not equal. I hope all continues great for you but because you have been fortunate to not have issues(location maybe) does not diminish or make those that have problems not real or cause for wonder!

We are glad for you , whats is your point and how are you helping?

just sayin!

Does this mod do anything for a P2+V3? I live out in the AZ desert with no trees, power lines, phone towers, or even many houses, and get 8-13 sats everytime I fly. Should I take the plunge or, in my case, would it be a waste of time and money?

kirk2579 said:
dalebb said:

the v3 incorporates some of OUR (users) sat fixes from trial and error

also in all electronics and anmade things , sometimes stuff happens and all is not equal. I hope all continues great for you but because you have been fortunate to not have issues(location maybe) does not diminish or make those that have problems not real or cause for wonder!

We are glad for you , whats is your point and how are you helping?

just sayin!
I may not be helping but I am learning. ;)

burlbark said:
nwillitts said:
anybody else?

I have now upgraded 40-50 owners and forum users Vision +. It is a must have for reliable flight. If you have the top open be sure to do the wifi heat sink mod. You might as well do the additional shielding and retension the GPS plug while you are in there. If you have a version with the upgraded motors please check your esc's and consider doing the flexible motor wire upgrade.

Here is the link to it

Jeremy James

That appears to be a link to the wifi module not ESC's

robinb said:
burlbark said:
nwillitts said:
anybody else?

Here is the link to it

Jeremy James

That appears to be a link to the wifi module not ESC's

Thanks for noticing.... ;)

Noël said:
Just a thought. Will adding a 2nd GPS unit parallel over the original one not double the sensitivity?
Cant do that, you'll end up with an impedance mismatch and less performance. Also, if anyone is looking for one of these higher gain antennas, I order two extras when I did the mod on my vision +. I would sell each for 10 dollars plus shipping.
Just ordered extra in case I had quality problems. I strongly recommend the upgrade. No risk, and instant performance improvement.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20