Upgrading Phantom 2 (Non-V) - Ground Station/FPV

Reaction score
Hey, I am now, finally ready to upgrade my P2 (non-Vision) and take another step in my photos/video by adding the iPad Ground Station and an FPV system.

First of all, if I have the Ground Station and an FPV system, is there a need for Lightbridge? What does that give me? I know you can't use it with the Ground Station and most important for me will be the waypoint flying (setting 2-4 points, altitude, speed) to get some video/photos over a agriculture field. I didn't know if Lightbridge was irrelevant then or if it would be something to consider.

Is this all I will need? Any other recommendations, changes? I'd appreciate your help/advice. Thanks so much.

iPad Ground Station
iOSD Mini, 2.4G Bluetooth Datalink and, of course, the iPad 3 or 4

FPV System
AVL58 5.8 GHz Video Link Kit, Black Pearl 7" LCD Screen

(or, ImmersionRC 600mW 5.8Ghz FPV transmitter?)

I can't comment on the Ground Station part as I don't have it fitted (no iOS devices in these parts!). However I'm running the AVL58 to Black Pearl.

The screen is great, especially teamed up with this or similar mount: http://uav.ravecreative.co.uk It works with the AVL58 (set the rx to Band E and then whatever channel you choose) without issue. As for the av tx, it's DJI equipment and will work seamlessly with all the other DJI devices - I used the FPV hub and was able to plug everything in without any soldering and was running in less than 10 minutes.

Some things to think about... The AVL58 is heavy compared to other solutions at 36g excluding antenna - compare to ImmersionRC 600 at 16g excluding antenna. You have to buy the kit including the receiver - if you are using a Black Pearl with built in receivers you're paying for something you don't need, unless, like me, you are going to repurpose the kit elsewhere in the future. Watch the weight - you don't really want to be going over 1350g all up for your total setup.

Pull_Up said:
I can't comment on the Ground Station part as I don't have it fitted (no iOS devices in these parts!). However I'm running the AVL58 to Black Pearl.

The screen is great, especially teamed up with this or similar mount: http://uav.ravecreative.co.uk It works with the AVL58 (set the rx to Band E and then whatever channel you choose) without issue. As for the av tx, it's DJI equipment and will work seamlessly with all the other DJI devices - I used the FPV hub and was able to plug everything in without any soldering and was running in less than 10 minutes.

Some things to think about... The AVL58 is heavy compared to other solutions at 36g excluding antenna - compare to ImmersionRC 600 at 16g excluding antenna. You have to buy the kit including the receiver - if you are using a Black Pearl with built in receivers you're paying for something you don't need, unless, like me, you are going to repurpose the kit elsewhere in the future. Watch the weight - you don't really want to be going over 1350g all up for your total setup.

Thanks! The AVL58 seemed like the easy DJI option - but, I thought there might be better options, such as the ImmersionRC 600. Otherwise, this is it, right? ImmersionRC 600, iOSD Mini & LCD? Install and ready to FPV? Then, move on to my Ground Station!

That's it. I got the AVL58 because it was plug and play. Other options are cheaper, or lighter, or more powerful, but you'll need to do some wiring and soldering. I'm not after super-range, I use FPV for framing shots rather than flying beyond line of sight, so the easy option works for me so far... :)

I have no experience with the DJI FPV, but I have plenty of experience with the ImmersionRC 250mW and 600mW and Fatshark Attitude goggles and Lilliput 664/w. I like all that gear, and get good range and quality, provided you have the right antennas, which I believe are critical to any FPV system performance. I am using the Spironet antennas with 2" extension, and a cheap patch antenna also on 2" extension. Getting 2,500 to 3,000 meter range on usable FPV (navigation and framing shots), with high quality image over 1,000 meters.

Kelly

wkf94025 said:
I have no experience with the DJI FPV, but I have plenty of experience with the ImmersionRC 250mW and 600mW and Fatshark Attitude goggles and Lilliput 664/w. I like all that gear, and get good range and quality, provided you have the right antennas, which I believe are critical to any FPV system performance. I am using the Spironet antennas with 2" extension, and a cheap patch antenna also on 2" extension. Getting 2,500 to 3,000 meter range on usable FPV (navigation and framing shots), with high quality image over 1,000 meters.

Kelly

Awesome info, thanks Kelly. I thought about the goggles, think the LCD will be more useful to start - maybe add goggles later. Are you referring to these antennas (for example)?

http://www.immersionrc.com/product-...roduct_name=SpiroNET Omni - 5.8GHz CP Antenna

If I got it correctly, I'd need Immersion Uno5800 v2 5.8GHz A/V Rx, 5.8GHz 600mW Tx and the antenna I mentioned ... along with the LCD? And, I'm set ... or, on to finishing my Ground Station!

wkf94025 said:

Kelly

Kelly could you elaborate on those antennas? Pics maybe

To the OP, hopefully you live in an area of low magnetic declination or else when you send your P2 out on GS flights it will fly the waypoints in a straight line but the P2 itself will be slightly turned resulting in unusable video. It will always be aimed left or right, not straight ahead.

mcmax20 said:
To the OP, hopefully you live in an area of low magnetic declination or else when you send your P2 out on GS flights it will fly the waypoints in a straight line but the P2 itself will be slightly turned resulting in unusable video. It will always be aimed left or right, not straight ahead.

Interesting, wasn't aware this affected the navigation using the ground station. So, if I'm at 14.34105 ... that means my camera will be pointed 14 degrees off my intended direction?

Jay_Z said:
wkf94025 said:

Kelly

Awesome info, thanks Kelly. I thought about the goggles, think the LCD will be more useful to start - maybe add goggles later. Are you referring to these antennas (for example)?

http://www.immersionrc.com/product-...roduct_name=SpiroNET Omni - 5.8GHz CP Antenna

If I got it correctly, I'd need Immersion Uno5800 v2 5.8GHz A/V Rx, 5.8GHz 600mW Tx and the antenna I mentioned ... along with the LCD? And, I'm set ... or, on to finishing my Ground Station!

You don't need the uno5800 if you use the black pearl, it has rx's built in.

MrC said:

Thanks for the info! That's great - saves me $240!

Revised ...

FPV
ImmersionRC 600mw Tx, Blue Beam 5.8GHz antennas & Black Pearl 7" SMA Monitor with Integrated Battery!

iPad Ground Station
iOSD Mini, 2.4G Data Link ... and, iPad!

Hopefully I got it all ... but only what I need! :) thanks again!!

Jay_Z said:
mcmax20 said:

Interesting, wasn't aware this affected the navigation using the ground station. So, if I'm at 14.34105 ... that means my camera will be pointed 14 degrees off my intended direction?

From everything I've experienced using my GS and from other youtube vids I've watched, yes, you're exactly correct. I've actually stopped using mine until DJI gets the issue resolved. Don't get me wrong, I really like the ground station but I can't stand to watch the video when I'm aiming 17.5 degrees off center all the time.

MrC said:
Jay_Z said:
wkf94025 said:

Kelly

Thanks, that's off my list - the other items are in transit, delivery Friday!! Great weekend project!

The Spironets I have are black. Don't fully understand the differences between the various models of Spironets. Dealers usually know which pair you want for your gear. Best parts of my gear are the cheapest: 2" extension for Spironet, and $20 patch antenna.

Kelly

EMCSQUAR said:
Kelly could you elaborate on those antennas? Pics maybe

I just received an ImmersionRC Duo receiver, and put an IBCrazy 5.8GHz 9.5dbic Helical and a 5.8GHz Circular Polarized Patch Antenna, +5dBi (SMA) on the Duo, and ordered two 3.5mm 4 pole jack antennas to connect my Fatshark Attitude goggles and Lilliput 664/W with the Duo. My P2 has a 250mW ImmersionRC with the black SpiroNet antenna on a 2" extension.

First flight late this morning was very promising on the Duo driving the goggles: 2,500+ meters with excellent picture quality throughout. FS/RTH much more of a limitation than video noise, though I suspect part of that is due to ~20kts headwinds on the outbound leg. Planning on another try at first light / light winds. Goal is 4km with clean video most/all the way.

Kelly

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic