Upgrading P3S gps to P3A dual gps/glonass

Reaction score
New member and also new to the P3s.I looked closely at both gps modules. The wires are the same color and are in the same place on both connectors. Has anyone tried upgrading their P3S to P3A gps?Thanks!

It's not compatible with the P3S.

Reactions: p3s_noob
New member and also new to the P3s.I looked closely at both gps modules. The wires are the same color and are in the same place on both connectors. Has anyone tried upgrading their P3S to P3A gps?Thanks!

Because they both would use +V, -V, and signal lines. But data on that signal would not be the same format, so drone would not understand it.
A phone in germany, and your phone have same color wires, but when you call them, you won't understand what they are saying.

Reactions: p3s_noob
Quadcoptercrazy, I average around 7 to 8 satellites.I also think having glonass, I could achieve 12-14 sats.I was just curious.

Thanks for all the replies!

Sent from my SM-T217S using PhantomPilots mobile app

There's a common misconception about number of SATs ....

The calculations made by modules are based on 'best' sat basis and various of the ones locked onto will not be used.
It may be because ground station has uploaded error code after detecting faults - common now with the replacement sat launches not as frequent as previous.
Second the way the calculations are done does not define an exact position. The position varies around an area. If you have a GPS unit such as a yachts or handheld .... switch on and place in open clear area. Leave it for an hour or two. Go back and look at the position plot. You will see it jumps around never staying constant on one spot. That jump can be 10 .. 20 .... even 30m at times.
The only way to reduce that jumping around to accurate results is either to get hold of the military dual frequency units prohibited from public access, or utilize the averaging function most GPS units have.
Use of Glonass as well as US based GPS only gives more SATs to choose from for that calculation.

Note also that Glonass often is 'altered' by Russian Military to 'target'a specific region of activity.

For those interested - it is rare to find Glonass capable equipment on commercial shipping where satnav has far greater importance than our models. The same applies about European Galileo - which of course went awry when the French decided to 'keep the ball' .....

US based GPS should provide the average user in habited world good coverage.

Positional accuracy increased once SA was switched off.

Nigel

Last edited:
It's not compatible with the P3S.
Has anyone tried though?
The difference may just be the antenna puck. Maybe upgrade the antenna puck to a gps + glonass.
This worked with the p2 range. People used m8n puck and was able to get 16 sats.

I don't understand why you need it the GPS on the standard works perfectly. I guess for added sense of security but mine picks up 12-13 sats regularly without glonass.
wouldn't shock me obama turns off the gps system before he leaves, so you would still have russia to locate position. I show 8 on ground, but 20 feet up it says 12 as well.

No. It's not compatible.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers