Upgrading from Standard: anything I need to know?

I flew over Sparrows Point on the her maiden flight. Had a strong headwind heading across from Ft. Armistead too! I flew out ~13,000' & had no issues with the compass. I was flying at around 400' altitude.

That's a long haul and way farther out than I would feel comfortable.

When you passed the Troll Admin Police building it made me think how cool it would be to shoot over what's still left at Sparrows Point. Though there is a lot of steel over there so care in finding a clear open space would be key.

Looks like I am not alone. I had my P3S for only 9 days before I was hitting automatic RTH due to loss of signal (The first time was a little scary even after manually testing RTH days before). I was so glad Best Buy had the option to return it for the P3A.

I saw all of the posts from people who had wished they had bought the P3A instead of the P3S, but I just could not imagine wanting to go over a half mile out... That was until I became more comfortable with the bird, which only took a few days, and then I became hooked and wondered how I would be able to keep it in a half a mile range.

Today will be my maiden flight with the P3A. I can't wait to be able to go over a half a mile, and am now thinking there's no way I will ever be at the three mile mark.... or will I?

There's something definitely wrong either with your phantom or how you're pointing your antenna I have a P3 standard 4K and never had no problem whatsoever take it up to 400 feet and 4000 feet out without no problem

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Hey everyone. I'm coming from a DJI Phantom Standard... I am returning it and decided the range on it isn't very great when going straight up. I only get to about 210 feet and I lose signal. I built a windsurf for it and got up to about 450 feet alt, but I don't like the range when it comes to distance (only getting about 200 feet away and lose signal at 50 alt in the air)... I can only fly it a few houses down and it comes back with a lost signal

Not sure if anyone else has pointed out the obvious but DJI Wifi or DJI Lightbridge are both affect by interference from wifi networks amongst other things, so you may be surprised with a Phantom Advanced or Pro that you still get a short range. Take the bird to a location where there is minimal to no interference and you should get a massive distance/height with the Standard.

Reactions: Dirty Bird
i switched the standard for the advanced two weeks ago and i am very happy .... i fly in a rural space very open and free of interference and whit the standard i only get 800 meters and 120 m of height before RTH started .. whit the advanced I have flown 2.5 kilometers and 180 m of height without loss of signal and smooth video... sure i can go much further, but with that I am satisfied for now

There's something definitely wrong either with your phantom or how you're pointing your antenna I have a P3 standard 4K and never had no problem whatsoever take it up to 400 feet and 4000 feet out without no problem

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app
Had the antenna horizontally, got up to about 250 as to 210 or so with it pointing straight up. But yeah, probably a lot of interference because I'm flying it straight in the neighborhood and there are a LOT of wifi networks and houses very close together (live in California desert on a big housing tract).

Not sure if anyone else has pointed out the obvious but DJI Wifi or DJI Lightbridge are both affect by interference from wifi networks amongst other things, so you may be surprised with a Phantom Advanced or Pro that you still get a short range. Take the bird to a location where there is minimal to no interference and you should get a massive distance/height with the Standard.

Thanks! I will remember that in case it shorts out and I start getting annoyed. I'm surprised with this advanced with the dual charger. Just read the manual and glad I did, it's advised not to charge both at the same time.. Wonder why it would be set up in a way to where I'm SURE 60 percent of people don't read a manual and would most likely plug both in to charge them at once.

How long does the remote controller take to charge on this? Seems bigger and bulkier.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj