Upgraded my Advanced gimbal/cam to Pro...WOW!!!

Vertigo, call it whatever you want - what you're calling "stutter" is actually a freeze in video due to lost signal and has nothing to do with bandwidth. And suit yourself - you don't want to believe it's a hardware limitation, and I've tried to explain, but I'll just save my breath. Let me know when you've gotten higher bitrate from your Advanced.

And it's all-in-one firmware. I didn't change firmware between Advanced gimbal and Pro, and it's recognized as a Pro and records accordingly.

And still waiting for you, or anyone else, to post a comparable video feed from an Advanced.

Kdrak, it's not really about distance - it's about the amount of information that can be sent at one time. Remember in the old days with dialup internet when images would load blurred and then clear up? Same thing. If you're flying at altitude or very slowly where the image isn't changing rapidly, Advanced is fine. It's just when flying low or things change quickly (like power lines) that the difference is visible.

well I am referring to the example below:

Let's say that two phantom pilots fly their aircraft (first aircraft is P3A and the second is P3P) at distance of 1Km from their RC. What is the live feed bit rate of the two aircrafts ?

someone says:
"I dont buy it. The lightbridge unit is exactly the same on the advanced and pro, you didnt even change it. The receiver is the same. When recording, the P3A camera can encode up to 60Mbit/s. There is no reason the LB link would be limited to 3 Mbit, other than an artificial limitation in soft or firmware. We might not be able to get around that without buying different hardware, but that still doesnt make it a hardware limitation."

WRONG INFO above

It is not 60 mbs in the advance it is 60 mbs in pro due to gimbal has a DSP chip that process video faster than advance unit. thus the signal that the Lightbridge transmits is better to START with ......

the Lightbridge is the same on both

it simple. the signal input on pro is superior to signal input on advance at the Lightbridge unit.

links from dji site showing difference on bit rate if you want to read them. note under camera section 40 mbs on adv and 60 mbs on pro.

Phantom 3 Professional - Specs, FAQ, Tutorials, Downloads and DJI GO | DJI
Phantom 3 Advanced - Specs, FAQ, Tutorials, Downloads and DJI GO | DJI

also from dji

Sensor
Sony EXMOR 1/2.3” Effective pixels: 12.4 M (total pixels: 12.76 M)
Lens
FOV 94° 20 mm (35 mm format equivalent) f/2.8, focus at ∞
ISO Range
100-3200 (video) 100-1600 (photo)
Shutter Speed
8s -1/8000s
Image Max Size
4000 x 3000
Still Photography Modes

• Single Shot
  • Burst Shooting: 3/5/7 shots
  • Auto Exposure Bracketing (AEB): 3/5
  • Bracketed Frames at 0.7EV Bias
  • Time-lapse
Video Recording Modes
Phantom 3 Professional

• UHD: 4096x2160p 24/25, 3840x2160p 24/25/30
    • FHD: 1920x1080p 24/25/30/48/50/60
    • HD: 1280x720p 24/25/30/48/50/60
Phantom 3 Advanced

• FHD: 1920x1080p 24/25/30/48/50/60
    • HD: 1280x720p 24/25/30/48/50/60
Supported SD Card Types
Micro SD
Max capacity: 64 GB. Class 10 or UHS-1 rating required
Max Bitrate of Video Storage
Phantom 3 Professional
60 Mbps
Phantom 3 Advanced
40 Mbps

Reactions: hms
WRONG INFO above

It is not 60 mbs in the advance it is 60 mbs in pro

Yawn. Here is my latest P3A recording analysed:

upload_2016-7-15_18-4-11.png

So yes, it can do 60Mbit/s. Ask me how if you must know. Or buy a pro instead if you think its a hardware limitation.

But even if it was 40 Mbit, thats plenty to process 5 Mbit, particularly while you're not recording or while recording at a much lower bitrate.

Believe all you want about it being a DSP thing. Thats true for 4K recording, not for lightbridge. Its just DJI wanting your money.

Last edited:
Reactions: HWCM
I crashed my P3P,and bought a P3A with out the camera. I then put the P3P camera on my P3A, and it is not the same as my P3P was.
Not even close.

Not going to wait your response. here's the thing; when the P3A came out, it recorded 1080P60 @60Mbit. A firmware upgrade later downgraded that to 28Mb. Thats quite a difference in quality. Enough to make the P3P look attractive, even if you didnt need 4K. I dont know for sure, but I wouldnt be surprised if thats when they downgraded the LB link too. The P3S lost its initial ability to record 1080P60 completely.

The LB limitation on the P3A, I currently know no way around, but the recording bitrate is trivial to get around and hardly a big secret. I think it has even been posted on this forum. DJI bungled their artificial restriction as Im convinced the fact we can can get it back to 60Mb is almost certainly a bug. If you start recording in 1080P60, you get fairly crappy 28Mb noisy video. To record in full bitrate: turn everything on, and make a photo first. Then switch to 1080p60 video mode. Thats it. It will record 60Mbit now.

Let see how it long lasts. Chances are a future firmware upgrade will "fix" this bug. Then you lot can go back to quoting DJI spec sheets and claiming the P3A camera is incapable of such high bitrates due to "hardware limitations".

Last edited:
In this thread, I've only ever been talking about live feed quality, not recording - no one has ever questioned the P3A's ability to record beautiful photos or video.......this is about the quality of the downlink video..........

no one has ever questioned the P3A's ability to record beautiful photos or video......

Sigh. kirk2579 clearly didnt believe my claim about the P3A's recording capability, going as far quoting the specs from DJI website to 'prove me wrong', and neither did you if you actually read what you where replying to.

Besides, they are linked in more than one ways. First it shows the camera has ample encoding bandwidth for LB, identical even to the pro; secondly it proves whats obvious to anyone except a few posting here, that this isnt about hardware limitations, but that DJI will intentionally cripple features in soft/firmware to upsell higher end models. LB encoding bandwidth on the P3A is one of them.

Last edited:
I crashed my P3P,and bought a P3A with out the camera. I then put the P3P camera on my P3A, and it is not the same as my P3P was.
Not even close.

True, you may need to apply a gold model badge and stickers to the phantom to make it 100% identical

well I am referring to the example below:

Let's say that two phantom pilots fly their aircraft (first aircraft is P3A and the second is P3P) at distance of 1Km from their RC. What is the live feed bit rate of the two aircrafts ?

Its going to vary, wildly, depending on local conditions. But I too would be interested in seeing bitrate vs distance on the Pro. This may give an idea though:
Phantom 3 Advanced Lightbridge not the same as Pro

According to his measurements, the actual 5 Mbit I saw on the OP's cached video, corresponds to 10Mbit setting in the app. That very app says it will limit range to 700 meter at that bandwidth. Beyond that, and until 1.5 KM, the maximum bitrate on the Pro would be 8Mbit "DJI speak" which results in 3mbit video, which is what I am able to get on my P3A.

In short: probably around 700 meter under ideal circumstances.

Last edited:
Vertigo, what you are talking about has nothing to do with this thread.

Also, there's uncertainty about whether the slider set to 10 mb/sec on the Pro actually impacts range or not. Many, myself included, notice no difference and have great range.

Meanwhile, I'm still waiting for anyone to upload a P3A live feed video, save one that's as clear as the Pro. A lot of talk, no walk.

And since some people are confusing lost signal with "stuttering" due to downlink speed, I flew again, outside this time, and here's the video.

SZKZ6895.mov

Looking forward to those Advanced feeds from you.

Reactions: hms
Im not disputing light bridge actual bitrate in the live view on the P3P firmware is better than the P3A's current firmware (at close range at least). Not by a huge amount, but you're getting 4.7 Mbit when flying at arms length, Ive gotten up to 3.1 Mbit with my P3A, and the difference is noticeable. Whether that makes any difference at all at actual flying ranges, I dont know, but yeah you made that point.

What I am disputing is that this difference is due to hardware limitations of the P3A. Your quote: "The Lightbridge limitation on the Advanced is a hardware limitation - "

Big bold worlds, but there is no evidence for this, and ample evidence to the contrary, some of which I provided; the lower bitrate on the P3A is almost certainly just intentional crippling by DJI, nothing else.

But if believing otherwise makes you feel better about spending $350, be my guest.

Sigh. Ok, I think I've been patient, but you've used up my charity. I have no interest in splitting hairs about why the P3A doesn't get the same live feed, but it doesn't, and I couldn't care less why not, even if you are correct and all the experts here are wrong. And I don't have a tin foil hat, and I don't believe DJI cripples their own products.

4.7 Mbit? Where did you get that? And arm's length? I flew it through the walls of a brick house, through a bunch of trees and brush down a hill into a hollow and lost signal...that's arm's length to you? Seriously, if we're not even going to respect the facts, I'm out. Split hairs on your own time. And finally, the upgrade cost me $200, not $350.

Aaaaaand worth every penny, P3A owners! If you're dissatisfied with the quality of your live feed like I was, trading out my gimbal/cam for a Pro has been to date the best upgrade I've done to my setup. If you're not dissatisfied, you're probably flying high enough that it wouldn't make any difference at all, so don't give it a second thought. Happy flying!

Come on, people, stop f... each other's brains! All your methods are subjective to your wantings. Do it smart way:

Record short video on your Phantom. Press PLAY button on your RC. In the file manager, locate your newly created video and open it. In the right bottom corner there will be download button. Press it. The file will start downloading wirelessly from your sd card on your Phantom, to your phone or tablet. While downloading, it will show actual speed in the right top corner.

Report this number for each setting of the slider, and post together with your model number and firmware version here, like I do right now:

- Phantom 3 Advanced
- Firmware: 1.9.x
- Slider 4 mbits: 536 Kbytes per second
- Slider 6 mbits and above up to 10 mbits: 768 Kbytes per second

Now, if there will be honest user of P3P and ideally, Inspire 1 v.2.0 and P4 to submit thier numbers,

we all can see if there is any advantage for higher models and, is it the same for the P3A with professional gimbal/camera as a replacement.

Important: during the test, put your antenna in vertical position, parallel to each other.

Thank you!

wow, what exactly are you measuring there? Transfer speed of a full res video ? While interesting by itself (especially the fact the slider does seem to make a difference there on the P3A in this regard!), that is not the video bitrate you are getting from lightbridge in flight.

To measure that, you have download the cached live video files from your tablet. On android they are located in /internal storage/DJI/dji.pilot/DJI_RECORD

then analyse the video with a tool like bitrate viewer:
Bitrate Viewer - Main Page

I would love to see the result of a long range mission on a P3P, see at what distance the bitrate tapers off.

Hi,

yes, transfer speed on a wireless channel, of a full res video. It makes no difference to the input of the LB whether the source is live (after camera ADC), or played back (after the recorder DAC), it is the same data flow, of the same format, on same bus, etc.

So your firm opinion is not so firm. Think again, you will see for youself there is no difference, whatever the source is.

Well, it might be the same if DJI didnt limit the live feed video bitrate on the P3A. But it does, thats the whole point. You're measuring what the link is capable off, not what the bitrate is of the live video that the P3A actually sends. Try what I suggested, and you'll find you're getting no where near 768 Kbyte/s. That is > 6 Mbit/s. (cached) live video will be 2-3 Mbit/s.

Might be.

But let's proceed one step at a time. First, lets compare what hardware is capable of, I mean, LB itself. We will not hypothesize what DJI might or might not have done. Lets talk numbers.

Everybody , post your numbers!

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4