Upgraded my Advanced gimbal/cam to Pro...WOW!!!

No argument there for sure.

just don't want you spreading incorrect info to other new users.

Phantom 3 Advanced Lightbridge not the same as Pro

I have to agree with @HWCM. I originally purchased a P3A and I used it both with a Headplay and a pair of Sony HMZ-T3W HD goggles (720p in each eye). I later updated the Gimbal/Camera to a P3P and was able to capture stunning 4K video to the SD Card, but my FPV experience did not change. It was great on the P3A and equally great on the P3P as long as I was in range with a strong signal. At the outer limits of the range, there were artifacts with both.

But - even if the Lightbridge system is different on a P3A and a P3P - Lightbridge is not stored in the Gimbal/Camera assembly so updating the camera on a P3A could not possibly get the benefits of the P3P Lightbridge.

HWCM, not sure what your angle is - I upgraded, using the same P3, same tablet, same phone. There is a massive difference now; I almost wrecked my P3 on power lines *that I knew were there* in my OWN FRONT YARD because the FPV was so blurry and pixelated on the P3A - it's crystal-clear on the P3P. It's well known that you can move the slider all day on the P3A but it doesn't make any difference. If you don't want to recognize this, that's fine, but for anyone else reading, the simple fact (easily verifiable by searching here) is the Pro lightbridge is night and day difference from the Advanced if you're doing any kind of medium-low altitude FPV flying, and had I not gotten misinformation about this up front, I'd have gone for the Pro right away. Thankfully it was easy for me to upgrade and I recommend it for anyone on the fence.

HWCM, not sure what your angle is - I upgraded, using the same P3, same tablet, same phone. There is a massive difference now; I almost wrecked my P3 on power lines *that I knew were there* in my OWN FRONT YARD because the FPV was so blurry and pixelated on the P3A - it's crystal-clear on the P3P. It's well known that you can move the slider all day on the P3A but it doesn't make any difference. If you don't want to recognize this, that's fine, but for anyone else reading, the simple fact (easily verifiable by searching here) is the Pro lightbridge is night and day difference from the Advanced if you're doing any kind of medium-low altitude FPV flying, and had I not gotten misinformation about this up front, I'd have gone for the Pro right away. Thankfully it was easy for me to upgrade and I recommend it for anyone on the fence.
It is just that some flights you get a channel that gives a better image with less interference. It is a radio signal after all. It is that simple.

Tenly, while the actual Lightbridge communication equipment is not in the gimbal, the processing guts of it is, which is the difference between the Advanced and Pro. The birds themselves are identical - it's only the gimbal and camera that are different.

HWCM, I flew 20 flights in my yard before and probably 10 since. I find it hard to believe it coincidence that I had a bad channel (in the middle of the woods where I live) for every one of the first 20 flights and not at all for the last 10 :) come on, man. Again, for the kind of flying you do you obviously don't need to upgrade.

Tenly, while the actual Lightbridge communication equipment is not in the gimbal, the processing guts of it is, which is the difference between the Advanced and Pro. The birds themselves are identical - it's only the gimbal and camera that are different.

I find that hard to believe. The P3P gimbal has a fan and 3 extra chips - all for video processing. None of it is related to the Lightbridge system. It's certainly believable that it could produce a higher quality video stream, with better compression to present as an input to Lightbridge - but not that any part of the Lightbridge system is stored in the gimbal. I've heard of people flying without a camera/gimbal assembly attached. If it contained part of Lightbridge that wouldn't be possible.

I'm happy to admit that I'm in over my head with the technical stuff, but people who know far more than me have explained this on this forum, and I see the proof every day. As to the lightbridge - where do you think the live stream originates if not from the camera, and subsequently processed (by video processing chips in the gimbal) to be sent as a live feed? The Lightbridge limitation on the Advanced is a hardware limitation - the actual Lightbridge transmission gear is exactly the same in both birds, but it can only transmit what's been given to it by the processing.

Seriously, I don't have a schematic to send you or a Chinese engineer to argue, but this has been discussed many times here - if you need more explanation than what I and others have given, it's here to be found.

Reactions: kirk2579
I have to agree with @HWCM. I originally purchased a P3A and I used it both with a Headplay and a pair of Sony HMZ-T3W HD goggles (720p in each eye). I later updated the Gimbal/Camera to a P3P and was able to capture stunning 4K video to the SD Card, but my FPV experience did not change. It was great on the P3A and equally great on the P3P as long as I was in range with a strong signal. At the outer limits of the range, there were artifacts with both.

But - even if the Lightbridge system is different on a P3A and a P3P - Lightbridge is not stored in the Gimbal/Camera assembly so updating the camera on a P3A could not possibly get the benefits of the P3P Lightbridge.

max bitrate on advance locked at 2 mbs
variable on pro from 2-10 mbs
that's fact.

I can not address your specific fpv as I have no knowledge of that.
the phantom viseo stream bitrate I do.

that is all I am saying.

many differences in the pro gimbal vs advanced regarding video processing and streaming.
once you upgraded your cam and gimbal you have a pro.
the Lightbridge is the same in both , true. It what is put into it as a source that is superior with a pro.
thus video streaming can be done at a higher rate without video degrading...

good luck and have fun flying!

Last edited:
So in that case you have accomplished nothing by changing the camera from an Advanced to a PRO. Since the lightbridge hardware is in the VPS unit. So what you think you see is a a huge really is not.
Maybe the people who say it does not make a difference have a Pro and and just assuming.On mine it works and makes a differnce in both range and image quality on my screen.
This evening I ran a test with P3A bird. 1st test - slider set to 10 Mbps, checked the file metadata and the bitrate is 2.34 Mbps. 2nd test - slider set to 2 Mbps, checked the file and it is 2.27 Mbps. Visually they look identical. Lots of artifacts in the display. The P3A is fixed in the range of 2 Mbps no matter where the slider is set. This test was conducted with the bird within 20 feet of the controller. Going to upgrade when I find a reasonably priced P3P cam.

I'm happy to admit that I'm in over my head with the technical stuff, but people who know far more than me have explained this on this forum, and I see the proof every day. As to the lightbridge - where do you think the live stream originates if not from the camera, and subsequently processed (by video processing chips in the gimbal) to be sent as a live feed? The Lightbridge limitation on the Advanced is a hardware limitation - the actual Lightbridge transmission gear is exactly the same in both birds, but it can only transmit what's been given to it by the processing.

Seriously, I don't have a schematic to send you or a Chinese engineer to argue, but this has been discussed many times here - if you need more explanation than what I and others have given, it's here to be found.
I find that hard to believe. The P3P gimbal has a fan and 3 extra chips - all for video processing. None of it is related to the Lightbridge system. It's certainly believable that it could produce a higher quality video stream, with better compression to present as an input to Lightbridge - but not that any part of the Lightbridge system is stored in the gimbal. I've heard of people flying without a camera/gimbal assembly attached. If it contained part of Lightbridge that wouldn't be possible.

tenly
tasty cat is saying the same thing your are

max bitrate on advance locked at 2 mbs
variable on pro from 2-10 mbs
that's fact.

I can address your specific fpv as I have no knowledge of that.
the phantom viseo stream bitrate I do.

that is all I am saying.

many differences in the pro gimbal vs advanced regarding video processing and streaming.
once you upgraded your cam and gimbal you have a pro.
the Lightbridge is the same in both , true. It what is put into it as a source that is superior with a pro.
thus video streaming can be done at a higher rate without video degrading...

good luck and have fun flying!

Admittedly my experience is anecdotal, but when operating in VLOS up to 500m away, I had a crisp, clear 720p video steam with no artifacts from my P3A. Upgrading to a P3P did not change that. (But it's still worth doing for a number of reasons).

You guys can quote all the specs you want but it doesn't change what I experienced. My P3A was able to create a good quality 720p stream with no artifacts - but I always had a good clear channel. Perhaps some of the artifacts others are seeing are generated on the receiving/decompressing end when flying in a congested area with lots of interference? Perhaps the P3P does a better job of compression?

But for others that are already seeing a good quality 720p stream from their P3A, I don't think that upgrading to a P3P will improve it. 720p is the highest quality possible for streaming.

They are both 720P. That is why I was deceived to think they are the same when I read the specs on the DJI web site. There are no bitrate specs listed.

Last edited:
Admittedly my experience is anecdotal, but when operating in VLOS up to 500m away, I had a crisp, clear 720p video steam with no artifacts from my P3A. Upgrading to a P3P did not change that. (But it's still worth doing for a number of reasons).

You guys can quote all the specs you want but it doesn't change what I experienced. My P3A was able to create a good quality 720p stream with no artifacts - but I always had a good clear channel. Perhaps some of the artifacts others are seeing are generated on the receiving/decompressing end when flying in a congested area with lots of interference? Perhaps the P3P does a better job of compression?

But for others that are already seeing a good quality 720p stream from their P3A, I don't think that upgrading to a P3P will improve it. 720p is the highest quality possible for streaming.

my only reason to post any of this was to STOP misinformation from another poster that told others they were wrong.
then and accused those of us that differed with him of assuming.... I thought my grandkids were here again.lol

then he was silly enough to tell me I learned something from him.... to be so arrogant and WRONG has to be hard!
no, I am wrong, I did learn a lot , about him!

have fun flying and yes its all good 720p but take some time and look over the links I provide to back up my facts and learn about this awesome product some more..

take care and have fun flying!

Instead of all the back and forth, a few cached MOV files can settle it, and at least half of the people posting here will learn something :).

So far it does appear the P3A is limited to 2-3 Mb. If anyone with a P3A has cached video's that mediainfo says has a higher bitrate, then please report and/or upload.

Anyone with a P3P, please find some examples of high bitrate in the cached folder and upload them, so we can see the difference, both the bitrate and and how it impacts things visualy.

Its almost impossible this is a limitation of the camera itself, seeing the P3A can record at 45Mbit and at the very least when you're not recording, it should have ample spare video processing power. but
its entirely possible the difference is in the P3P firmware; DJI could be arbitrarily limiting the P3A.

Reactions: hms
BTW, if this turns out to be an artificial firmware limitation; is it possible to flash the P3P firmware on the P3A with the original camera ? If its not, then I would love to see what happens on a P3P if you replace the camera with a P3A camera without flashing.

Right or wrong, I've returned my P3A gimbal for a P3P. I had a Professional to begin with and will keep it that way.

my only reason to post any of this was to STOP misinformation from another poster that told others they were wrong.
then and accused those of us that differed with him of assuming.... I thought my grandkids were here again.lol

then he was silly enough to tell me I learned something from him.... to be so arrogant and WRONG has to be hard!
no, I am wrong, I did learn a lot , about him!

have fun flying and yes its all good 720p but take some time and look over the links I provide to back up my facts and learn about this awesome product some more..

take care and have fun flying!
If you wan to believe what you read on here as fact instead of what the manufacturer says and what people see for themselves. It does not make a difference to me, I was just correcting you so you will not misinform people reading this. If you want to believe you are right, I will let you believe that.
No biggie, Enjoy flying and have fun.

"If you wan to believe what you read on here as fact instead of what the manufacturer says..."

I am enjoying my P3A but the point is that the manufacturer did NOT say. DJI could have made more money from me if I had known the whole story. They will probably will end up making more anyway. I can't see moving to an inferior product from another company. I have a lot of respect for 3D Robotics (been flying home-brew APM/Pixhawk birds a long time) but their DJI competition, the Solo, has lots of serious problems. On the plus side it is not a DJI clone.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1