Upgraded Motors?

I believe that are close to stock.... you probably have to dynamic balance more than the stock motors.... and sometimes they use bad bearings.... that depends on what thay have in hand at the moment..

Went ahead and got them! The thing is is that I've never placed RC Motors and thought it was going to be as simple as mounting them in and slicing in the wires! Well all the wires are black, How do I tell which is the ground? As for the others I believe you just switch the wire around but don't I need to know what one the ground is or do I just connect them and switch them all around until I get them all going in the right direction?
Also all the threads seem to be going all the same way on all the motors not like the DJI Motors! If the motor is spinning the other direction from the thread is it possible for the nut to come off in flight, Has anyone replaced a motor like this that can give me some insight on this?

Here's some pics of what it looks like to add bullet connectors to the ESC outputs in the Phantom: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=4003

The motors you bought probably have 3mm or 3.5mm connectors, but you may have to cut them off anyway depending on how long those leads are on the motors. Connect the center wire coming out of the motor to the center lead from the ESC...the outer two can be swapped with each other to fix the direction of rotation for that motor.

Cool thanks, I do have bullet connectors but cut those off to do straight soldering! How about the threading on the motors going all the same direction unlike Phantom motors where they thread in the other direction from the way the motors spinning is there no concern of the nut flying off because it wasn't tighten tight enough and just the plan force of the blades twisting? Are most upgraded Multicopter motors like this?

Still looking for help on this, I want to install them but don't want to have to remove them if they are the wrong motors!

Does it matter if all four propeller threads thread in the same direction on a quad copter, Do they have to thread in the same as the Phantom motors?

The threads are irrelevant to the flight capabilities of the Phantom. You will >>NOT<< be able to use the self-tightening props, however. Well, that's not QUITE accurate - you will be able to use two. Fat lotta good that'll do. :lol:

The big issue for you is getting the motors to turn in the proper direction. The only way to have "adjustability" in that regard is to install the bullet connectors and swap any two wires on any motor NOT turning in the correct direction. I hate to be the one to try and dissuade you, but why not just leave the Phantom be, and use those motors in another project? You won't notice a danmed bit of difference for all the install trouble you are likely to encounter.

I've never felt the urge to modify my Phantom in any way. It flies perfectly fine and does everything it'll ever be capable of doing using the OEM ESC's, motors, and props. In fact, I've grown quite bored with it after only 2 months. Gingerly tooling around the yard like an old man is fine for the first twenty flights. Now I want to do flips and ****, and the Phantom is not the right platform.

I built a beautiful Flamewheel F450 with hot ESC's and even hotter motors, and got it dialed in in about 48 hours. Still not that exciting to fly 'cause it still utilizes a NAZA FC which doesn't permit more than 40 degrees of pitch or roll without complaint...so I'm waiting for a KK2.1 board from HobbyKing. Gonna build an acrobatic V-tail quad and try to go back to my glory days of pattern plane flying - only now I can do it in the yard, soccer field, beach or park instead of traveling forever to the nearest R/C flying field.

I know I'm getting a bit OT now, but if you want to see some completely over-the-top acrobatics from a quad, check THIS out at 4:00:

http://flitetest.com/articles/stingray-500-review

PF

Wow...that's more my speed, for sure. Basically, agility mode is "manual mode", like my itsey-bitsy Syma X-1. I was out tossing that around in the yard this morning. Only have 1 battery for it though, so I can only get in 1 ten minute flight before I head off to work.

PF

PhantomFan said:
The threads are irrelevant to the flight capabilities of the Phantom. You will >>NOT<< be able to use the self-tightening props, however. Well, that's not QUITE accurate - you will be able to use two. Fat lotta good that'll do. :lol:

The big issue for you is getting the motors to turn in the proper direction. The only way to have "adjustability" in that regard is to install the bullet connectors and swap any two wires on any motor NOT turning in the correct direction. I hate to be the one to try and dissuade you, but why not just leave the Phantom be, and use those motors in another project? You won't notice a danmed bit of difference for all the install trouble you are likely to encounter.

I've never felt the urge to modify my Phantom in any way. It flies perfectly fine and does everything it'll ever be capable of doing using the OEM ESC's, motors, and props. In fact, I've grown quite bored with it after only 2 months. Gingerly tooling around the yard like an old man is fine for the first twenty flights. Now I want to do flips and ****, and the Phantom is not the right platform

Not sure what you mean about it not being the right platform? I've seen video's of people doing flips with a Phantom!
Don't know if they where using upgraded motors but that's not the reason I'm changing out the motors, I pulled the bone head move of putting the long prop guard screws back in and driving them up into the coils causing them not to move just did a twitching movement in all four motors! I hooked up one new motor so far and it runs fine, I was just wondering if the nut could twist off spinning in the same motor direction as the thread not really the flight capability as in doing flips if thats what your getting at? By no means do I want to start doing flips with my Phantom.

Do all motors have it to where the nuts twist on clock wise with the exception to the Phantom motors? Just want to be sure on this because I really don't want a propeller fly off in mid flight or even before take off flying off and sticking me in the eye,lol! I have two Phantoms luckily so I still get flying time but the only time I can fly is at night over a partly frozen pond because I work up until sunset and where I live is nothing but hills and trees with a busy road next to my place and the pond which I still say is a lake! It sucks because I love to play around with my Fat Shark FPV put can't really see well with them at night.

Not sure what you mean about it not being the right platform? I've seen video's of people doing flips with a Phantom!

Maybe, with enough altitude you could do it, and only in manual mode. I wouldn't expect it to be nimble or quick in the doing of it. Nothing like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=of0bm2irwYU

I pulled the bone head move of putting the long prop guard screws back in and driving them up into the coils causing them not to move just did a twitching movement in all four motors!

Ouch! Then the swap is not optional. As long as you must do it, do as OldPhotography did/suggested. Use bullet connectors.

I was just wondering if the nut could twist off spinning in the same motor direction as the thread ...

Yes, they can come off. You will need to check the prop nuts before every flight.

Do all motors have it to where the nuts twist on clock wise with the exception to the Phantom motors?

I doubt EVERY motor does. I believe some small number are marketed as direct Phantom replacement motors with the same CW and CCW threads.

PF

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl