Upgraded GPS 4mm ceramic antenna (12 satellites!!!)

Reaction score
I finally got around to replacing the stock ceramic GPS antenna with the 4mm upgraded one. I haven't done any testing in the past other than to notice when I flew via the iPad Ground Station app. With the stock GPS setup I don't recall ever seeing more than 8 satellites and usually it's about 7 when my P2 is sitting on the ground.
A quick test from my driveway got a GPS lock in about 20-25 seconds and with 12 satellites. Using an iPhone app to check GPS satellite coverage with an elevation mask of 0 degrees the MAX satellites possible would have been 14. I got 12 out of 14 just sitting on the ground in my driveway. with lots of trees and houses around. I flew up to about 100 feet and watched on the GS app but it never got about 12. I landed the P2 and turned off the props. I put my hand over the top of the phantom and the satellite count dropped to 6. I took my hand away it quickly climbed back to 12!
The upgrade was pretty easy. I had two different types of solder wick braided material and that was the hardest part trying to get the solder out of the hole to put the new antenna on.
Very pleased with the outcome of this. If you have any specific questions, please ask and I'll do my best to help.

What GPS antenna did you use and did you have to file down or re-**** the gps to fit?

This is the antenna that I ordered:
http://www.ant-king.com/homeweb_en/cata ... d=8&ifid=7

It came with it's own star head screw driver and screws but I did not use these. The screw heads on my P2 are wide and flat and are a tad bigger than the fairly large holes in the GPS board. The screws included in the kit are too tiny and would not have held the board in place.

The yellow plastic ring is only for the external GPS housing like you get on the Naza M V2 GPS kit and the Phantom doesn't use that so it's not needed.

I did NOT have to file down anything. I used a box cutter blade between the stock antenna and the gps board and twisted to apply pressure while holding the soldering iron on the bottom side of the board to soften the solder and pop off the old antenna. I used the braided solder wick to remove the old solder. Put the new antenna on and added a dab of solder to hold in place and connect it to the board. I put it all back together (20 screws! 4 for GPS board, 4 for each P2 arm) and tested it out. Works great.

is there any difference between digi key one and the ant king one? and how long did it take to receive after order?

Right after I bought my Phantom 2, I went online to Ebay and found one of those copper sheets that are cut to size, think it cost around 15.00 bucks. Took the top off my Phantom 2 and since the copper sheet already had adhesive attached to it, put it in place. I consistently get between 10 and 11 satellites here in Central Arkansas and have seen 12 show up on a good weather day. I have the improved antenna's for video, but who doesn't. I do not know the cost of a ceramic antenna but I am happy with my particular upgrade. Hope this helps others. This upgrade is quick and easy in my estimation.

K.M.Harp
In Arkansas

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj