Upgraded Antenna on the drone?

Reaction score
So would adding some Omni's on the drone really help all that much? Or are those little spherical antenna's the way to go?

I hear you can't really just toss a spherical on the drone without modifying the WiFi extender too and I don't want to do that. But a pair of small 3dbi Omni's on the drone might look OK. Cheap enough. Something like $10 - $10 in parts on Amazon. It would add only about 1.5oz to the craft.

What do you guys think? Worth doing?

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2MlMRCMyl-A[/youtube]

Its the same as the stock antenna and all you added was the plastic housing weight.

msinger said:
Check out these links if you're looking for high quality antennas:
viewtopic.php?f=54&t=27060
http://horizonfpvantennas.mybigcommerce ... vision-pus

Thanks but I'm trying to stay away from all that stuff. Just want a nice sleek unobtrusive mod that gives me a bit of a boost, still fits in my case and doesn't make my Remote or Drone look like it was abducted by the Borg.

Drones_FC2.jpg

I'm with you on that one :D My Phantom rarely leaves my sight, so the stock range works just fine for me.

Well I like my upgraded 8dbi antenna on the remote. Unscrews, fits in the case, looks decent when it's on the remote. I want to do something like that for the drone.

Burlbark: I agree replacing the wires in the legs with these things wouldn't help but we are talking about replacing the wires for the WiFi transmitter. They are very short and all tucked up inside the drone. They don't extend into the legs at all. This mod moves the WiFi antenna outside the drone for video and telemetry. You think this wouldn't help? Looks like it should...

I'm thinking it will allow higher resolution video preview and remove interference from the GPS plus extend the WiFi range a bit. But maybe not... guess there's just one way to tell... I've ordered a couple of antenna. I'll let you know how it works.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl