UPGRADE YOUR DJI GO APP!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would have appreciated a warning message stating that "operation with non-DJI batteries is not safe......"

I think that's the real issue. Personally, I would never user anything other than genuine DJI batteries but I respect the right of others to do so if they wish. If DJI really believes that the use of third party batteries is a risk (and I believe it may be) then they should certainly include a warning prior to take off that their use may increase the risk of a crash or even invalidate the warranty but to simply turn those batteries off with no warning in the release notes is a little over the top.

No....really, just my friend. I had no idea of the tone of this message board. I thought certainly other people would be as surprised as I was. Apparently I stumbled into the world of follow every instruction blindly. Or at least those are the trolls I baited out from under the bridge.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app
Instead of trying to help you find a way to help u out they rather tell u how much a idiot u are. . [emoji107][emoji35]

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

1) It's a bit of an absurd to expect a "warning" from DJI about third-party batteries, since they already recommend to use their own ONLY to begin with, and take some steps to ensure it stays that way. So it's clearly and expressly implied from the start, isn't it?

2) P3 batteries aren't "just any battery". Without entering the merits of cell quality or occasional issues, the "smart battery" is part of a system designed and engineered to work in a specific way, and that includes the update of the "smart" part of the battery to go along the function of the entire system in better and safer ways, whenever DJI thinks it's in good order to do so and for whatever reason. Is there something wrong with this or is it just me?

3) That's different from a car or other device, and even from open-source starter kits drones. I've got lots of different LiPOs for all my devices (bike lights, copters, cars, planes, etc.). Some work fine with any kind/brand while others don't (Lupine for instance). What I'm trying to say is, the good comes with the bad. Some stuff accept third-party parts and accessories but others don't, for different reasons. And we're free to chose which way we go. But once we go, the right thing to do is to stick to instructions - unless you know very well what you're doing (then you can get the good with the good sometimes) AND/OR accept the consequences of your choices. I don't get it that for some people "following instructions" is wrong, stupid or sheepish.

4) A quad like the P3 isn't just a quad. It's a consumer drone, designed and engineered in a way to be easy, instant and accessible flying camera with relatively simple maintenance. That brings compromises, and the use of some smartness in the battery is perhaps the most obvious of that since the power source is a big deal in any RC device. There are lots of open-source start kits on the mkt, a few even from DJI, for those who don't like to be tied to a single brand or source for parts and are into DIY.

5) I understand that people feel fooled by DJI in many ways when something like this happens. DJI is big corp, everyone hates their kind. I for myself feel fooled by sellers who advertise "like the original" when it's not and that causes some problem along the line, especially when the manufacturer of the quad makes it very, very clear that you use their own stuff only. So DJI is evil for trying to stick to their business, and third-party suppliers are good for making theirs out of breaking DJI's system and collect the money of people who don't like to follow instructions and are looking for saving a buck on props, batteries, etc. Right.

Well, it's everyone's choice to go against the grain and take chances - just not fair to blame the manufacturer or come up with conspiracy theories. DJI is in the market to sell drones, batteries and accessories, believing otherwise is just plain wrong. Anyone is entitled to save money, but putting the blame on the wrong part isn't going to solve anything, for us as consumers and for the companies as well. As consumers, we should get informed, make our choices and live with them, for our own benefit.

Last edited:
Really? So pay $30 to $70 more for the exact same thing? That by the way, work better than the 'real thing'.

That is just dumb to buy knockoffs. You trust pos slave made batteries in your $1200 drone?? Seriously?

I think iFly has done what DJI should have with with this update. They should have notified the user base that the updated app will render 3rd party batteries inoperable. At least then the choice whether or not to upgrade is passed onto the consumer. They should then update their website to state that only their batteries can be used.

A recommendation to use only their battery doesn't translate to a requirement.

Reactions: grottoli
DJI has a vested interest in not wanting it's quads falling from the skies...it can't control the quality of non-DJI batteries. Yes, it's your drone, but it is their reputation.

Guess we are done with trying to help you..............

not once have you TRIED to help him!

you have insulted and belittled him endlessly...

nor did you even read what was said well.

his crime! tried to save some money!
GUILTY !!!! in your mind and he needs to suffer for his stupidity , in your mind,,,

and in the END IT WAS DJI BATTERY with an issue,,,,,, which you ignored (maybe reading comp is an issue)

For your information
many of us LONG time FLYERS have used and loved many aftermarket batteries with our phantoms.
The Limefuel Brand for the Phantom Vision Plus was and is rock solid , better than OEM

good luck and have fun flying!

PS.
If ever I post for help, please don't!

Taken from DJI/Phantom 3 Manual, available online and in printed form:

Regarding Genuine and Functional Parts

To avoid component malfunction, serious injury, and property damage, observe the following rules:
1) Use only genuine DJI parts or parts certified by DJI. Unauthorized parts or parts from non-DJI certified manufacturers may cause system malfunctions and compromise safety.

http://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/phantom_3/en/Safety_Guidelines_Disclaimer_en.pdf

Is there any way this message could be more clear and straight?

Now, because DJI doesn't put a gun against its customers heads and scream "use our $120 batteries only or else", they're forever under criticism. And other (usually obscure) companies trying to cash in on DJI's success are OK by not issuing any warning that their low-cost "like the original" ones might not work/perform as expected are clear and free. Sure, because after all they're just trying to fight the system and offer the P3 pilots a less expensive alternative.

The P3 sin't selling to 8yr kids who can't get a message straight. It's not required that pilots use only DJI batteries (or props, of whatever). But... it means no one can come back crying that their quad doesn't work or crashed if they used third-party parts.

But then, who reads manuals these days anyway huh??

Reactions: grottoli
When the 6 O'clock talks about a drone falling from the sky hitting a kid coming out of preschool, they will not talk about the after market battery that caused to fail. DJI does not want this kind of event spoiling their name in the general publics eye. True a warning would have been nice, but not mandated.

Since this had to turn into a cluster (as usual) we have reached the end of the ride. Please take your egos with you as you depart the ride and have a nice day.

Threads Closed Moose.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20