Upgrade Question from P3A to ...

Reaction score
I got my first drone, P3A, approx a month ago.

Kinda glad I started with something basic as I have never flown one before. It was a good starter drone :)

I thought cool a 2.7K camera. Didn't think I would need 4K. I have some friends with the P3P. The pics and video on that are just amazing.

So I want to upgrade now :)

One one hand I was thinking of going to the P3P thus I could use all my batteries and any other accessories. But on the other hand, the P4 has some good features including collision avoidance and Active Track. Of course the P4 will be substantially more $$ plus all new batteries.

Any thoughts from the community. Will the P3P be ok?

Oh and btw I am Part 107 certified. I would ultimately like to do something on a revenue generating basis. But not sure i'm that close yet.

Thanks all

If you go with the P3P, all you're going to gain is 4K video. If you have no use for that, then it would not be a worthwhile upgrade. Go with either the P4 or P4P if that's the case.

Hmmm guess i'm not sure what I want. I Do think the 4K is worth it.

Asked my friend to come over. We can hover in front of my house shoot the same pics and videos then compare.

I would go for the P4. However, then I have to buy all new batteries (which I hear are slightly more expensive than P3). The active tracking and collision avoidance is NICE on the P4

Would the P3P be a poor upgrade choice?

Reactions: DeputyDawg
Thanks... I agree. I want to play around with video editing via Final Cut... Seeing my friends stunning video on his P3A made me have Drone Envy - ROFL

The difference was really distinct...

DOWN the road assuming i get a lot better and start making $$ maybe then I will consider an Inspire or whatever is the drone du Jour :)

When I hear phrases including "revenue stream", I immediately think go big or go home. If you plan to use the drone for still as well as video, the P4 series is where you need to be looking. Unless you need multiple drones, sell the P3A for extra battery money. I use the P3P, and coming from a three decades long photography habit, the P3 camera (even the Pro) isn't even on par with my iPhone 6 Plus or 7 Plus.

With 107 licensure, you're heading into a rapidly growing competitive market. Take advantage of every possible edge you can give yourself.

If you're a serious hobbyist who hopes to make a little "side money", then the decision becomes a little more murky. Look at it this way - if you jump to a P3P, you'll almost certainly want to upgrade again next year. If you go P4P, you could probably gain an extra year or more before the upgrades become too great to ignore. Like with camera gear, paying more up front for professional equipment means you upgrade far less often.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1