Upgrade? No, downgrade...

Reaction score
I just "upgraded" to the new firmware, ver 3.16. My Phantom is now completely useless, delivering a constant Red-Yellow flash. It keeps telling me to calibrate. When I begin the advanced calibration, I get a MC Temperature error. I followed instructions, letting it set for 10 minutes, only to get the same error again. I repeated this several times with the same results. I even resorted to placing the Phantom in the freezer for a few minutes, then attempting to calibrate. Same results, MC Temperature too high.

Any suggestions? Box it up & send it back to DJI? Throw it out?
I'm not only out the money I spent on it, I'm also now losing money in unrealized earning because I can't rely on it to work...

ANY suggestions appreciated.

If you search the site, you'll find others who tried to load 3.16 with the same problem.

Contact the dealer who you purchased from (even if through Amazon). They may be able to help you get back on 3.14

I'd guess DJI is aware and working on the problem, as some of the files are missing from their download page (or were earlier today).

I just got a second Phantom yesterday. First one is fixed and flying well, so I'm not even turning the new one on until DJI gets their act together on the software.

I had the same problem. Make sure you also download the Default parameters. Then I did a basic and then advanced Calibration in that order. Then I could do compass calibration. I know my Phantom also said that it was too hot to do the calibration so I stuck it in the Freezer, then did the calibrations. I hope this helps.

It isn't clear what to do with the Phantom Defaults. Double clicking on the file opens a unknown file format window and wants to search the web for a program to open it. I couldn't find anything inside the Naza Assistant Software that would import the Default file.

I just kept getting a over-heating warning and something about a magnetic field prevents compass and GPS from Calibrating. I Still have the magnetic field warning after moving back to 2.14 version of Naza Assistant. Wish they would post better how-to's on these updates.

pardon the pun but everybody's just wingin it dji included
Under "tools" on the left side "import Parameters"
click on that then select the file you downloaded

Yeah, I found that last night and imported the defaults. I still get an error 27, that the GPS isn't calibrated. When I run the advance Calibration. I get the over-heating warning power down for 5 minutes pop up. Clicking on ok forwards the process bar I get a green check and still the error 27 GPS isn't Calibrated Warning. Nothing seems to clear this warning. Not even the 10 click toggling of the GPS to Atti switch. Without the GPS there is no way to fly this thing. update fail to have install instructions and the manual is no help either.

Do the procedure to calibrate the compass
Turn ite transmitter on flick the swith gps to atti 10 times
When you get a steady yellow light hole.... watch dji video 2 preflight

I redid the Advance Calibration several times and finally took everything outside. I performed the Advance Calibration while outside. Same heat warning appeared, just clicked through that. I did the preflight compass 10 click and swing. Rechecked and found I still had error 27. Did another preflight 10 click and swing compass calibration. This time the error 27 message was cleared.
It looks like you must do the preflight compass calibration twice without a power cycle. 10 clicks of the GPS/Atti Switch and do the rotating in the two positions. This finally cleared my error 27 message.

Hey
After upgrade did you get IOC checked - working ? Mine no.

At first power up, it took a bit for the IMU to come alive again. I would say give a few minutes, if it stays grayed out for longer that. I would try loading the default file that is a part of this 3.16 update. Then power cycle the phantom. I think the software takes a bit longer to establish itself at power up with the Phantom connected.

I had to import the default for the phantom in the tools window. The button marked Import Parameters and then locate the Default file you saved to your computer from the Downloads page. The needed default file is just below the update on the same page as the update.
After updating, everything was changed and my RX unit controls didn't even show up, when I moved the toggles. I even lost usb port on my laptop there for a bit. I had to reboot the computer to fix that. I would say you need to install the default file on the update page. Then reset everything, then select your RX unit and aircraft. Then try to do the advance Calibration and following with a double preflight compass Calibration.

jfalsken said:
Yeah, I found that last night and imported the defaults. I still get an error 27, that the GPS isn't calibrated. When I run the advance Calibration. I get the over-heating warning power down for 5 minutes pop up. Clicking on ok forwards the process bar I get a green check and still the error 27 GPS isn't Calibrated Warning. Nothing seems to clear this warning. Not even the 10 click toggling of the GPS to Atti switch. Without the GPS there is no way to fly this thing. update fail to have install instructions and the manual is no help either.

I just did the update the temp warning came up and it said to power down for 5 minutes and then power on and run advanced calibration. I did that and had no issues with advanced calibration so if you follow what the popup says it should work or at least it did in my case. Just disconnect the battery for 5 minutes or more then connect battery and usb straight away and start NAZA and advanced calibration quickly and you should hopefully have no temp warning.

All, I was getting was the same pop up of power down for 5 minutes each time, I would retry and get the same warning. It wouldn't clear and allow me to advance. It was like hitting a brick wall each time. It also said to do the upgrade without powering up the Phantom. Funny thing the Naza Assistant Software will not see the Phantom unless it is powered up.

I was able to click the yes button and get through the Advance Calibration that way. I had to run the preflight compass calibration twice before the error 27 warning would clear. I was able to log a few flights with no issues yesterday.

The thing is there was no information on just how to install this update or the required default file. No warnings on what might go wrong or how to fix them. Updates are meant to be improvements not a pack of frustration. It's a real disservice to customers by not informing them as the specific steps of installing and clearing any error messages as a result of any update.

It will come back to bit them. Already other Companies are readying their own Phantom type of aircraft and learning where DJI Phantom's problems are. Blade has announced and competing product, that is soon to be released. One that cost $200 dollars less and has several improvements over the Phantom, right out of the box. But that is my take on the problems going into this update 3.16.

bumper said:
If you search the site, you'll find others who tried to load 3.16 with the same problem.

Contact the dealer who you purchased from (even if through Amazon). They may be able to help you get back on 3.14

I'd guess DJI is aware and working on the problem, as some of the files are missing from their download page (or were earlier today).

I just got a second Phantom yesterday. First one is fixed and flying well, so I'm not even turning the new one on until DJI gets their act together on the software.

My Phantom feld out of the sky yesterday . Just hovering and feld vertical down from 40 meters ... Very strange . Maybe errors in firmware 3.16 ? ... Driver is still on DJI website.

Did you have a power loss, that made it fall? I have four flights in and no such problems. With fingers crossed!

I got my Phantom a few days ago, had several progressively better flights, but if I turned it around 180 degrees it would veer off to the side, so I figured it needed calibration. I downloaded everything, installed fine, had the green light, it insisted I upgrade, wouldnt let me do anything until I did. Then all I got was the too hot error on the advanced calibrate. Finally let it "cool" for a few hours. Now there is no green light, and I get "USB device not recognized" error, tried loading on different computer, same thing. The phantom's lights go nuts if I unplug the USB cable, so it seems to know there is something plugged in. This thread is from August, its now October. Is this thing now a brick? This cant be happening to everyone, but I bet I'm not the only one. Anyone run into this?

ChrisNantucket said:
I got my Phantom a few days ago, had several progressively better flights, but if I turned it around 180 degrees it would veer off to the side, so I figured it needed calibration. I downloaded everything, installed fine, had the green light, it insisted I upgrade, wouldnt let me do anything until I did. Then all I got was the too hot error on the advanced calibrate. Finally let it "cool" for a few hours. Now there is no green light, and I get "USB device not recognized" error, tried loading on different computer, same thing. The phantom's lights go nuts if I unplug the USB cable, so it seems to know there is something plugged in. This thread is from August, its now October. Is this thing now a brick? This cant be happening to everyone, but I bet I'm not the only one. Anyone run into this?

If your computers are Windows8 then reboot the computer & then try to see if the USB is recognized. Worked for me when I had that problem.

Both computers are XP. I did a system restore, going to start over, but first I am getting the failsafe signal from the Phantom, telling me its not seeing the controller. Did a transmitter calibrate, but thats not it. It seems I need to "marry" or re-register the controller with the Phantom, which requires taking the thing all apart just to push a button? This is why I almost never upgrade anything, ever.

So I download the directions presently on their site, take the thing apart, only to discover they moved the board with the button so its accessible through the battery compartment. Nice that they did that but it would be nice if they did a simple update to the directions!

So, its still the same, boots up and flashes orange, cant get it into compass calibration or anything, motors will not start. Its a brick. I'm 2 seconds from packing it up unless anyone has another idea...(besides throwing it in the harbor)?

It seems it will now only work in D-Bus mode, not PPM. If I try it in PPM I get mode I get the rapid orange flash (but if I shut off the remote the red light inside goes on, so the controller is registered). In D-bus the sliders on the RC section on the software work, they didnt before. The motors will start, havent tried flying yet.

Also in PPM mode the control sliders dont work on the software.

Also found this thread:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2719 which doesnt finally solve the problem (I dont think?), but did provide good info.

Still not completely fixed, dont know if the GPS is working, but a little progress.

Update: I took it for a flight, and it seems exactly as before, does fine unless I turn it, then it veers off, which can be difficult to correct when you are a beginner! Once you correct, it seems to figure things out and hovers fine, but that initial veering off will make for difficult panning while filming. So after about 12 hours( largely due to their documentation), I'm back to where I started, which is better than a brick, but it not an improvement either.

I'm trying to remember everything I did so it can benefit others, but after a while thing become a blur. It is a good idea to document every thing you do and then document the effect, but I never remember to do this!

I didnt have to calibrate the compass, but will see next time. It may have been because I calibrated it while in the house once I saw that changing it to D-bus helped the other guy.

These are in no particular order.
I did get the error 27

It said I did not need calibration, numbers looked real good (numbers changing told me the usb was working).
I did the advanced calibration anyway, I did get the too hot error, it finished in maybe a minute, not 5 or 10, maybe because it was close to start with.

It does tell me when I start the program that I should upgrade to 4.00, but when I check, thats what I have.
I also updated the default from the website.

I dont know why I was getting the "unrecognized USB" error, or why it went away. I'm using the 2nd computer, not the one I did a restore on, havent tried that one yet.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dragonslair