Upgrade Hero3+ black to Hero 4 Black

Reaction score
So last night i won a Hero 4 Black and would like to use it on my phantom 2 with H3-3D gimbal. Here is my issue. I modded it and installed the 30pin port for my hero 3 which works great. How exactly will it work with the 4 at all? I have iosd mini and fov setup so feed is required. If all else fails i can just stick to the 3. Thanks

I believe people were using the GP4 on the Zenmuse HD-2D without issues other than removing the GP battery for weight as the GP4 was heavier but you don't need to do that with the 3D. I would think it would work. ;)

So last night i won a Hero 4 Black and would like to use it on my phantom 2 with H3-3D gimbal. Here is my issue. I modded it and installed the 30pin port for my hero 3 which works great. How exactly will it work with the 4 at all? I have iosd mini and fov setup so feed is required. If all else fails i can just stick to the 3. Thanks

Your simply have to unmod your h3-3d gimbal and go back to the ribbon and hopefully you you have all the parts.

Yeah i have the parts im curious if i will hurt anything just trying it out?

That's a catch 22 question. For one thing the pin connections were changed and you have no knowledge of what those changes were. I take the time to change it back the ribbon cable rather then possibly damaging perfectly good camera. Using the h3-3d gimbal for most a year starting with GoPro 3+ Blk and now with GoPro 4 Blk I haven't had a problem with the cable. Yes using the 30 pin connector was convenient but it is what it is thanks to DJI for thinking they could get away with copyright infringement.

Can you try something for me...
In regards to the H33D and Hero4 Black, I was told that if you can get a hold of an LCD back pack, you can enable visual out to the H33D 30pin Hero port. All you need to do is plug in the LCD back pack and play a video back and that will permanently enable video out for the Hero 4.

Also, be careful with the latest Gopro firmware updates (I think this applies to both Gopro 3 and 4). The newer firmware updates are designed to disable video via USB out when a charge is detected. The H33D charges the gopro when plugged in. The work around is to disable the charge by taping up the top contacts of the flex cable and leaving the 2 ower contacts exposed for video out.

Am I reading this thread correctly. Has GoPro changed the pin out on the hero dock? That seems an unlikely thing to do as it would make many accessories redundant

It has been changed. But it will still work with authentic GoPro accessories.
They are trying to be like apple and weed out manufacturers who use their patents.

Am I reading this thread correctly. Has GoPro changed the pin out on the hero dock? That seems an unlikely thing to do as it would make many accessories redundant

GoPro changed the configuration 30 pin connector on the back so that DJI could no longer use that type of connector on their gimbals. Since it is proprietary connector for the LCD and Battery BacPac (which are trade mark) they had every right to change the pinout on the Hero 4 cameras to stop copyright infringement.

Not arguing with there right to change it. But I thought they just banned DJI from using it not actually changed the pin out. Apple never changed theirs for years and managed to stop unofficial use. They eventually changed to the Lightning connectors but all the time they used 30 pin they never changed the pin out. Has anyone got details of the hero pin assignment and how it changed?

Well reading another site it seems some people have figured out way to get more out of the hero port :)
The pin out hasn't changed just how you address it

Well reading another site it seems some people have figured out way to get more out of the hero port :)
The pin out hasn't changed just how you address it

I just connected my H3-2D gimbal with 30 pin connector up to my P2 to test the hero 4 blk vs the hero 3+blk and the results were as expected no video from the hero 4 while hero 3+ worked perfectly

Yes that's expected because it needs to have a handshake with the accessory. (Gimbal in this case) at least the other site said so. I'd post a link but usually that's not allowed but being a lab they should know

Yes that's expected because it needs to have a handshake with the accessory. (Gimbal in this case) at least the other site said so. I'd post a link but usually that's not allowed but being a lab they should know
Hey i would love it if you could post the link or PM it to me. Thanks

So the H3-3D gimbal will work with the Hero4 as well right? I have a 3+black and 4 black but have yet to try my 4 on the H3-3D gimbal.

So the H3-3D gimbal will work with the Hero4 as well right? I have a 3+black and 4 black but have yet to try my 4 on the H3-3D gimbal.

Why don't you go back and read post #12.

The hero 4 will not work with that 30 pin connector but if you're going be hard headed plug the Hero 4 up for an see what happens for yourself.

It will, if you "unlock" the GoPro 4 with an LCD backpack. It only needs to be done once.
There is no difference in the pinout. What seems to be happening is that when you attach an LCD backpack, a function is unlocked in the firmware permanently.
AFAIK, this can be a simple handshake like a certain resistor in the LCD backpack or a data handshake that gets written into the GP4. Most GoPro stuff is backwards compatible.
Also, regarding no video out on the USB port - this was a mistake in firmware by GoPro and was fixed with another update a few days later.

Reactions: Mako79
It will, if you "unlock" the GoPro 4 with an LCD backpack. It only needs to be done once.
There is no difference in the pinout. What seems to be happening is that when you attach an LCD backpack, a function is unlocked in the firmware permanently.
AFAIK, this can be a simple handshake like a certain resistor in the LCD backpack or a data handshake that gets written into the GP4. Most GoPro stuff is backwards compatible.
Also, regarding no video out on the USB port - this was a mistake in firmware by GoPro and was fixed with another update a few days later.
Hey i just got my gopro hero 4 black in the mail today and tested it myself. It seems that when the gopro is recording the video comes through the 30pin which is awesome because i can never forget to hit record before i take off.

Why don't you go back and read post #12.

The hero 4 will not work with that 30 pin connector but if you're going be hard headed plug the Hero 4 up for an see what happens for yourself.
Just fitted a 30pin connector to my H3-3D Zenmuse gimbal and I've just filmed a flight of 17mins with full 4K video and full FPV throughout so it can be done @jason

Just fitted a 30pin connector to my H3-3D Zenmuse gimbal and I've just filmed a flight of 17mins with full 4K video and full FPV throughout so it can be done @jason

I've seen the thread about using the LCD bac-pac and the handshake. I do have an older LCD bac-pac and tried it and it still doesn't work. But I'm not about to spend $79 bucks for new touch screen bac-pac just to use the 30 pin connector. It's not a big deal whether to modify the gimbal or not the ribbon works fine and you still have to use the mounting bracket or rubber band to hold the camera.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobDan