upgrade board v1 smoking ESC'S?

Reaction score
Have you gotten any reports on a upgrade board v1 for Zenmuse ever frying all the ESC’s in a Phantom? I just completed a install of the Zenmuse, PMUv2, Gcuv1,iosdmini, fpv. Ran all the updates on a Naza-m v2 (Yellow in color). Tested without props on and everything worked fine. Did a compass calibration and final check, before taking her out for first flight. Upon hooking up battery smoke started coming out of shell and I quickly unplugged battery. Took her back inside and opened the shell again. I cannot find anything that would cause a short or a reason for the motor esc’s to start smoking. How do I track down the cause of the problem and insure that the Naza-mv2 and other accessories are not fired as well? The upgrade board isn’t showing any cracks or short markings. It was like the current being passed through the upgrade board was too much for the esc’s to handle. Motors did try to spin the moment battery made contact with power cable on Phantom. I purchased the upgrade board some time ago, but never took it out of the box, until I was ready to install it with the Zenmuse.

It sounds like you are saying you installed the Upgrade board and the PMU V2 and the Zen Muse GCU (among other things) ?

I'm not sure why you would do that or what would be the consequences when doing it.

The upgrade board has a PMU and and Zen Muse GCU built in, but lacks a canbus port in which to install the OSD. If you use a modular PMU V2, and a modular Zen Muse GCU, the Upgrade board should not be connected to the Naza or the Zen Muse. It should only be acting as a power distribution board, which is why it is not needed if using all the modular units.

I do not know what about this would cause the esc's to overload though.

You are right that the upgrade board was being used only as a power distribute board, since no Can-bus port is supported. I understand that a upgrade board v2 might be in the works to address that short-coming. The phantom did fine with a props off spin up to check for any issues. Updates were applied for naza-m v2, Zenmuse and iosd mini, compass check and calibration were completed and everything checked out fine. Only touched the battery again to phantom power contacts and she let out the smoke. Which them micro processors love to release when, they aren't being treated nice.

It seems the Fpv tx and the Fubata r7008sb receiver are ok. Not sure on the GCU v1, IOSD Mini, PMU-V2 or the Naza-m. The ESc's are fried and I believe the upgrade board as well.

This is what happens when manufacturers fail to put out complete instructions or products that fail to work together. Upgrade board at the time of purchase, it was a must have for users of the Zenmuse h3-2d and that was how it was sold. Why market the iosd mini to buyers of the FPV and Zenmuse, when it cannot plug into the upgrade board v1 at all? The lack of proper information and support has killed a lot of products in the marketplace. I would hate to see DJI lose more market share, than they have. Even my local hobby shop will not carry their products any longer, due to all the problems arising out of updates, parts reliability and the lack of support.

jfalsken said:
This is what happens when manufacturers fail to put out complete instructions or products that fail to work together. Upgrade board at the time of purchase, it was a must have for users of the Zenmuse h3-2d and that was how it was sold. Why market the iosd mini to buyers of the FPV and Zenmuse, when it cannot plug into the upgrade board v1 at all? The lack of proper information and support has killed a lot of products in the marketplace. I would hate to see DJI lose more market share, than they have. Even my local hobby shop will not carry their products any longer, due to all the problems arising out of updates, parts reliability and the lack of support.

I understand what you mean in regard to DJi not having much foresight in their product(s) roll out

Still, it is certainly not at all common for all of the escs to go "pop" all at once.

It wasn't the fact of the board not working with FPV and Zenmuse. It went up in smoke because you used the board and the PMU. You could've kept the stock board & used PMU - it states the 2 options of Zenmuse install - either the upgrade board OR the PMU not both.

I didn't have a stock board, this was a parts build not an upgrade. Since the stock Phantom naza wouldn't allow for more functions , like course etc. The data on naza from the DJI.COM website stated you needed to buy the yellow naza-m v2 to gain all advance features. why then buy a stock Phantom, when you had to toss the stock naza? DJI stated you needed the upgrade board if you wsnted to use the zenmuse. it didn't list that it failed to have can-bus port or couldn't be used as a power distribution board only, just you had to buy the upgrade board for using zenmuse with phantom. When, I asked support how to install the iosd mini, I was told to use the pmu v2 and the gcu v1, with the iosd mini. never a word about not usingbthe upg4ade board in that mannor.

Not sure what you meant by "course", but as far as I know, the NAZA v1 in the earlier Phantoms (like mine) can do all those things the NAZA v2 can, including Course Lock and waypoint mapping (the latter will require additional equipment).

I think somebody confused the NAZA Lite and the NAZA v1 when describing the differences to you. This chart should help: http://www.dji.com/whats-difference-of- ... naza-m-v2/

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1