Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

Upgrade battery charger

Discussion in 'Phantom 2 Discussion' started by SteveO, Jun 1, 2014.

1. SteveO

I am looking into different options for upgrading my battery charger. Does anyone know exactly how the stock charger works? I'm pretty sure that its just a power supply giving 12.6 volts and either 2 or 4 amps to the battery and the battery itself basically has a balance charger built in. I want to be able to quick charge multiple batteries at once. I can make the plug adapters no problem. Does the amp output matter on the power supply? For example say I want to charge 3 batteries at once, I would need 15 amps of total power from the power supply right?

2. tom3holer

Yes, to do 3 batteries in the time of one normal charge you would need 12A or greater. If you have a charger and can set it to pb than that will work also. If you use the standard power supply with a power strip you can charge all three at the same time and it will be somewhat less time than doing one at a time.

3. SteveO

Ok so another question, does the power supply have to be exactly 12.6 volts or does it need to be at least 12.6 volts? I know the battery charges to 12.6 but im not sure what the circuits inside the battery themselves are capable of.

4. tom3holer

SteveO,

First let me correct myself. You need a "Power Supply" not a battery charger capable of 12 or more amps.
    Yes 12.6 should be the voltage not any more or less.

Tom