P3 Firmware Updraging....Do I Do It....Opinions Please

Reaction score
First of all, I am new to flying the P3A, I just purchased a slightly used unit about 3 weeks ago and only had 1 opportunity to fly it, which was about 15 mins in total. Due to weather conditions, I have not been able to pull it out of my backpack.

I hold a Fixed Wing license with Float Endorsement of which I have about 600 hrs total time. I also have about 40hrs in Helicopters, but never got to finish my rating.

When I received my P3A, it had Firmware 1.6.40 installed and the RC had 1.5.70 which I did upgrade to 1.5.80 a few weeks ago. My DJI Go app version is 2.7.1, and just recently purchased LITCHI ver 3.2.1.

So my noob questions are:

1. Do I go ahead and upgrade to Ver 1.8.80 along with the corresponding DJI GO App and RC?
2. Is there a step ladder approach to firmware upgrading, ie go up a level first, then continue to the current level
of firmware.

Since I only have 1 flight under my belt, I am a little apprehensive on doing these upgrades, so I am looking towards the valued opinions of the members here.

What do you all think?

PDR

First of all, I am new to flying the P3A, I just purchased a slightly used unit about 3 weeks ago and only had 1 opportunity to fly it, which was about 15 mins in total. Due to weather conditions, I have not been able to pull it out of my backpack.

I hold a Fixed Wing license with Float Endorsement of which I have about 600 hrs total time. I also have about 40hrs in Helicopters, but never got to finish my rating.

When I received my P3A, it had Firmware 1.6.40 installed and the RC had 1.5.70 which I did upgrade to 1.5.80 a few weeks ago. My DJI Go app version is 2.7.1, and just recently purchased LITCHI ver 3.2.1.

So my noob questions are:

1. Do I go ahead and upgrade to Ver 1.8.80 along with the corresponding DJI GO App and RC?
2. Is there a step ladder approach to firmware upgrading, ie go up a level first, then continue to the current level
of firmware.

Since I only have 1 flight under my belt, I am a little apprehensive on doing these upgrades, so I am looking towards the valued opinions of the members here.

What do you all think?

PDR

I Upgraded yesterday evening, this morning flew for about 1 hour and it all worked fine for me. Delete the old Firmware and load the new one but don't forget to upgrade the RC with same version as in the Phantom.

I Upgraded yesterday evening the this morning flew for about 1 hour and it all worked fine for me.
I was a little afraid as well but I upgraded tonight and all is fine. Matter of fact, I took it outside for a 15 minute check and it seems so much smoother.

I'm still at the same version you are (P3A=1.640, RC=1.570)
And I'm debating if I should ever change... It flies great the way it is, and I'm worried about DJI putting stuff in there I really don't want like geofencing or something.

Can I just leave this firmware and be ok for years?

Reactions: Colorado68
And I'm debating if I should ever change... It flies great the way it is, and I'm worried about DJI putting stuff in there I really don't want like geofencing or something.

I think eventually you'll have to update. Everything changes on a constant basis.

On my P3P, I've always updated relatively soon after each new release. No problems at all. It's like any other electronic device. Sometimes they fix three things and break something new, but not seriously. All software/firmware is like that. Overall, during the past year, each series of releases has clearly moved forward with minimum negative impact.

Be it computers or drones, there is always moaning after updates. But usually when looking back, almost no one wants to use the old systems. Granted, there are some bad updates but usually they are fixed sooner or later... I try to wait a few days-weeks (or use a test partition and good backups in computer updates) before updating.

Unfortunately at least with DJI you can downgrade only to the previous FW (?). Why is that?

Has any DJI FW bricked the AC or the RC??

AGREED!
im still on 1.2.6 and it flys great, just have to keep the tablet in airplane mode all the time so I dont connect to the internet and get a forced upgrade.

I usually wait a week before update. Not interested in guinea pig approach, especially when firmware doesn't add much value.
A computer software crashing you might lose some work or get kick out in a middle of a game
A drone firmware crash might result in my expensive drone in the forest somewhere.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BoguSlav