updating RC firmware: blue light stuck on

Reaction score
I recently downloaded the latest version of the Go app and it warned me - incessantly - that I needed to update the firmware.

So I began the process, which I think as we all know by now is beyond confusing due to their documentation.

Long story short, the update kept failing by the automatic means. I took the bird out this morning for a flight and the RC had no signal to the bird. So I came back in and tried to update firmware manually.

The bird updated ok, seems like. But the RC does not. The blue light is stuck on from power up; connecting via USB to iphone doesn't tell me anything much - they recognize each other, but says "version unknown" for the RC. Plugging in a card reader, or connecting to the gimbal directly with USB doesn't change anything.

Anyone ever seen a blue light stuck on like this? Is there any way to force the RC back to a factory reset?

Many thanks
Jason

IMG_6933-1.JPG
IMG_6934.PNG

The only thing i can think off is you have to do a 2 stage upgrade of your firmware if it had older one on it.
Try putting the one before on then the latest.

Is there any way to force the RC back to a factory reset?
Too bad you just joined today or you might have seen one of the several active threads about people trying to reset their RCs. Not the same issue you are seeing. They have updated their RCs but are now having bad "no signal" issues so they are trying to reset or downgrade their RCs. To your question, so far there have not been any reports that I have seen about anyone who has been able to reset their RC successfully.

Last edited:
Reactions: Poundofnuts
A total shot in the dark, but if you are down hard maybe think about it. Disclaimer - I have not tried this myself, but its from Tahoe_Ed who has a good amount of respect on this and the DJI forum.

How to solve RC upgrade problems for P3 A & B Tx - RC Groups

Issues on updating the remote controller and corresponding solutions

GL 300A:
Please try to update GL300A remote controllers by using a USB drive/ SD card adapter or connecting the aircraft gimble port with the controller via a USB cable. If you fail updating with these two methods, please connect your controller with your app (meanwhile keep the aircraft off and keep your mobile device connected with the Internet), then turn on your app, go to camera-aircraft status, download and install the firmware and the remote controller will be updated (More than 15 remote controllers in China have been updated in this way).

GL300B:
Remote controllers whose model type is GL300B can only be updated on your app, however, according to the survey, the updates failed in the following three conditions:

First, The remote controller turns off automatically, then the first led light on it turns cyan. And when you connect your remote controller with your mobile device again, the app says no signal, and there’s no notification that says the remote controller needs to be updated.
Solution: It’s possibly because the 1765 module on the remote controller fails updating. So please press these four buttons on the remote controller at the same time, namely, C1, C2, Recording and the Scroll that adjusts ISO, meanwhile, spare another finger to turn the remote controller on (don’t let the other four fingers go), then turn on the app and you’ll be able to download the firmware again and please follow the steps on the app and the remote controller will hence be updated. (More than 10 remote controllers in China have been updated in this way).

Second, the app fails updating the remote controller and the first led light turns red.
Solution: please update on your app again. (More than 2 remote controllers in China have been updated in this way).

Reactions: JoBe and Mr.Spock
Too bad you just joined today or you might have seen one of the several active threads about people trying to reset their RCs. Not the same issue you are seeing. They have updated their RCs but are now having bad "no signal" issues so they are trying to reset or downgrade their RCs. To your question, so far there have not been any reports that I have seen about anyone has been able to reset their RC successfully.
That's correct. The latest update has broken the majority of our phantom 3's. Ridiculous that DJI didn't test the firmware and software better. I'd say about 80% of the people on the App Store have slammed the latest version of DJI GO and given it 1 star. It's a total mess to say the least.

Interesting- thanks all. I tried Tahoe_Ed's trick and I couldn't get it to stick - as far as I can tell, the device has no way of telling you if the 4-key combo has succeeded or not - it just boots the same way as it always boots.

Has anyone who's done this successfully noticed any different?

Anyway - here's my latest result. If I can't get it back in the air I'll likely try to return it to B&H and let them deal with it.
IMG_6935.PNG

I think you, bobmeyers, and maybe 3 or 4 other people are working fine. The other 95% of us have problems since the latest firmware update.
Are you talking about the latest RC-Only firmware update? I guess I've not been paying attention. I didn't know there were a lot of problems. Mine works fine too.

Are you talking about the latest RC-Only firmware update? I guess I've not been paying attention. I didn't know there were a lot of problems. Mine works fine too.
What latest "RC Only" firmware are you speaking of? The latest firmware isn't a "Remote Control" only update, it's a "bird only" update. And to clarify, yes tons of us are experiencing a "no signal" issue after the update. It appears it breaks the video feed connection. It's sort of a conundrum, in that the issue manifests itself in the light of IOS 9, DJI GO 2.4, and Firmware version 1.4. That being said, several of us "without the help of DJI, because their tech support is about as useless as tits on a boar" have narrowed it down to the last firmware update for the RC "Remote Control". It's crazy because it was released around the same time as DJI GO 2.3 & 2.4, as well as iOS 9.02 and 9.1, causing a lot of confusion. For sh!ts and giggles, read the iOS app reviews for DJI GO 2.4. You'll see that over 90% of the people that downloaded and reviewed it state that it broke their video feed and they now have "no signal". Every day somebody new post how they installed DJI GO 2.4 and it broke their phantom. Hopefully DJI will stop counting their money long enough to get off of their a$$ and release a new RC firmware to update to fix the last pile of sh!t update that broke our video feeds. I love The phantom 3, it was great before the last update, but DJI's support is about as good as a lead balloon. McDonald's workers could be answering DJI's phones and they would probably do a better job.

Snerd, this guy tends to exaggerate.. Regarding this topic and who is having it, He uses terms like 'all of us' 'tons of us' 'everyone' etc and now '95% of us'. Out of the tens of thousands of P3's sold, in reality there are very few. I get that there is frustration which tends to lead to comments such as this, but the knock on effect is that new people to the forum read his posts and worry about updating when really there is a minute chance of a problem.
I will say that I look forward to his posts now as they are mildly entertaining. He 'laughs at people' trying to offer help because we are all well below his genius level, but I think many of us now get a chuckle in return after one of his new posts.
I guess you, me and Bob better go fly as the last remaining survivors of the latest update!

Snerd, don't listen to Pete, he's one of the few that doesn't have the problem so he dismisses it. Read the latest DJI GO app reviews if you think I'm exaggerating. And Pete, if you think 95% is an exaggeration, then do the math on the reviews in the App Store. It's around 90%, ballpark. Also, I have spoken to DJI tech support and they are working on the issue because they have been "flooded with calls" (their words, not mine) in the past few weeks regarding the no signal issue. More and more every day, because what you obviously don't understand is that yes there are thousands of phantom 3's out there, but everybody doesn't update on day 1 of the release. It takes weeks, even months because not everyone flys everyday or has the time to constantly update their drone. I've seen guys like you and bob tell newbies to update, then when they do and get "no signal" your response is sad and pathetic, stating "well mine works". Do some research before you speak on an issue you're not even experiencing.

Last edited:
90% is not 95%... Hmmm the number of affected people has already come down in the last hour! That's 90% of the 47 that have reviewed it.. Not too many.
By the way, I did have this problem after the update, but sorted it out without slamming the app, the FW or DJI, that's sad and pathetic behavior. We have all tried to help you sort this with many good suggestions, but apparently you just laugh at our 101 mentality. I really do hope you get this sorted mate.
BTW, I am in Shenzhen next week so I will visit DJI and kick their arse for you to get this sorted [emoji6]

I guess if ALL the people who didn't have a problem after the update posted as well, these comments above would be lost in the noise

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

90% is not 95%... Hmmm the number of affected people has already come down in the last hour! That's 90% of the 47 that have reviewed it.. Not too many.
By the way, I did have this problem after the update, but sorted it out without slamming the app, the FW or DJI, that's sad and pathetic behavior. We have all tried to help you sort this with many good suggestions, but apparently you just laugh at our 101 mentality. I really do hope you get this sorted mate.
BTW, I am in Shenzhen next week so I will visit DJI and kick their arse for you to get this sorted [emoji6]
I obviously don't know you and you obviously don't know me. I'm not trying to be a d!ck here, but there is OBVIOUSLY a real issue with the latest firmware that needs to be resolved. It's more frustrating than you can imaging for us that are experiencing the issue, because DJI is aware of the problem but hasn't addressed it the way they should. Go kick their *** for me when you're in China and I'll buy you a beer if you ever come to Texas.

I will! And I'll be in Austin the week after next, 18th 19th seriously! [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers