Updating GCU firmware when using main board upgrade?

Reaction score
Question for anyone using the H3-2D with the Phantom main board upgrade:

Are you able to (or do you even need to) upgrade the GCU firmware after installation? Since the GCU is now embedded on the new board, I'm not sure if it uses the "same" firmware as the original GCU. I know that the current GCU firmware is supposed to be 1.4 according to the DJI support site. But when I check in NAZA Assistant, it shows GCU firmware as 1.0.0.9. Is this what other people are seeing? I know the Zenmuse Assistant isn't supposed to work with the new board and the NAZA Assistant handles all the upgrading (so I'm led to believe).

This is a "V2" version of the gimbal just shipped this week from Atlanta Hobby. Everything seems to be working fine, but after all the horror stories about "be sure you update all the firmware" I'm a little leery.

Any insight appreciated -- thanks!

MrMediaGuy said:
I know the Zenmuse Assistant isn't supposed to work with the new board and the NAZA Assistant handles all the upgrading (so I'm led to believe).

That's correct; just use the NAZA Assistant. I did the firmware upgrade with that software, then downloaded the Phantom Default Configuration Parameters, loaded that, and all was good.

The current config file is here - http://download.dji-innovations.com/downloads/nazam-v2/PHANTOM_Default_Configuration_Parameters.zip

MikeEvangelist said:
MrMediaGuy said:
I know the Zenmuse Assistant isn't supposed to work with the new board and the NAZA Assistant handles all the upgrading (so I'm led to believe).

That's correct; just use the NAZA Assistant. I did the firmware upgrade with that software, then downloaded the Phantom Default Configuration Parameters, loaded that, and all was good.

The current config file is here - http://download.dji-innovations.com/downloads/nazam-v2/PHANTOM_Default_Configuration_Parameters.zip

When you say you "did the firmware upgrade," did you mean you updated the firmware on the NAZA to 3.16, or that you updated the firmware on the GCU to 1.4? What firmware version is showing for your GCU in the NAZA assistant? Mine shows 1.0.0.9 and says "No updates available" when you click the link. Which bothers me since 1.4 is the current version on the DJI site....

P.S. Saw your video and LOVE how you mounted your 5" FPV monitor to the Phantom TX -- brilliant. :) I have the same monitor and have been trying to figure out the best way to mount it.

MrMediaGuy said:
When you say you "did the firmware upgrade," did you mean you updated the firmware on the NAZA to 3.16, or that you updated the firmware on the GCU to 1.4?...Mine shows 1.0.0.9 and says "No updates available" when you click the link. Which bothers me since 1.4 is the current version on the DJI site.

Mine shows that same thing. I'm pretty sure the version 1.4 mentioned on the DJI site just refers to the separate GCU and has no relevance to the GCU on the upgrade board.

P.S. Saw your video and LOVE how you mounted your 5" FPV monitor to the Phantom TX -- brilliant. :) I have the same monitor and have been trying to figure out the best way to mount it.

Thanks!

Whats this about 'Phantom default configuration parameters'?

I'll be installing the Upgrade kit next week. I thought there was no software setups to be done at all..

Isn't the upgrade kit a hardware only thing?

What do I do after I manually install the upgrade kit? Do I then have to run the default phantom configuration parameters?

-Frankie

You will need to update the NAZA to at least firmware 3.16 (although since that's deprecated now you will probably only have the option of 4.0).

The new main board incorporates GCU and PMU functionality all on one board, so the new firmware is needed so the NAZA can be "aware" that these modules are embedded and not the separate PMU and GCU boxes.

On the DJI support site under Downloads you will need to download the Phantom Default Configuration and unZIP it, then use Import on the Tools menu in NAZA Assistant to import those settings. DO NOT click "Restore Default Parameters" on that tab as the "default" NAZA settings are NOT correct for Phantom. You must download and Import the file.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj