Updating firmware for REMOTE CONTROLLER

As many pilots know already, All the forums are on fire today about DJI';s New DJI GO App and all firmware updates across the board for most of their products. Go to DJI's Site and support page and be sure you read about all that has been updated. Many folks are misunderstanding the new methods to updating. Always read the release notes for your Craft. How to upgrade firmware also has been revised. I am hoping that by next week, the Android version of DJI GO will also be released.

Last edited:
Hi fellas,
I have a different issue. I know that my P3 and remote are up to date, how ever, the pilot app keeps telling me to update the RC. I have re tried to update the controller again and again, but it does not even go into update mode. The led just stays red for well over the 60 second period and still does nothing. I can only assume that is updated already. I still get the RC update notice on the app. Has anyone had this issue before? BTW. this is a brand new P3 Advanced.

Im getting this same issue.
1. after updating i checked my log to ensure the correct version took.
2. I booted up my not updated android shield. got the need to update the RC message.
3. I turned everything off and then used my ipad mini 2 with the AUTO Updated New APP.
a. Same Need to update RC message.
b. 5 minutes after using the ipad, i get a battery update error blinking red on the app and stating I have 97% remaining. So I restarted the quad and that went away.
4. Im going to update the controller and see what happens.

---- this is awesome... more issues.

Im good now, sorry Russ I couldnt watch that video. I felt like he was going to start painting happy little trees 5 seconds after hitting play..
But, I ended up connecting my usb to the gimble and then to the controller. I turned on the P3P first then the controller and it immediately started to update. I no longer have the update message. I flew 2 batteries last night with no issues. Even on my shield I didnt get any messages or shotty video feeds. The one thing I am noticing and ill try when its day time is focusing of the camera as in I dont feel like its sharp.

Reactions: Russ
Im good now, sorry Russ I couldnt watch that video. I felt like he was going to start painting happy little trees 5 seconds after hitting play..
But, I ended up connecting my usb to the gimble and then to the controller. I turned on the P3P first then the controller and it immediately started to update. I no longer have the update message. I flew 2 batteries last night with no issues. Even on my shield I didnt get any messages or shotty video feeds. The one thing I am noticing and ill try when its day time is focusing of the camera as in I dont feel like its sharp.
Glad you got it sorted, reference flying at night, did you try setting a higher ISO, this will make your camera sensor, more sensitive to lower light conditions.

Yea Im a photographer but I didnt bother trying to tweak the shots the iso was maxed. I was mainly after seeing a successful flight. I havnt flown it much since the issues with the firmware and app. I had it in the garage afterwards and just noticed it was muddy, but that also quickly visualized juat before turning it off. Im waiting for the sun to come up so I can clear my suspicious visual.

Update.. shot outside on a perfect day and I swear this thing is just muddy as far as sharpness goes. Shooting 100iso

Update.. shot outside on a perfect day and I swear this thing is just muddy as far as sharpness goes. Shooting 100iso
I know this is probably a dumb question, but did you remove the protective piece of cellophane, from the front of the lens.

Haha yea... i think ive narrowed it down to uploading to youtube. I watched my source file on my mac and I dont see any of that dataloss

Really? You would have never put this together with the Phantom in question under 4 hrs from this post. But good try. It's all good. Nice vid none the less.
Confirmed! It was posted to YouTube over a year ago! :cool:
image.jpg

I was having trouble updating my R C, then I tried the method below and it worked fine..
Anyone else catch the audible "F*ck!” at the very end of the video? :oops:
Must be a UK expression for "The End"! ;)

One caveat. If you recalibrate the IMU, if you don't do it with a very cold Phantom, your future warmup times on all flights could take several unnecessary minutes. After recalibrating mine with an air conditioning cooled P3P, my warmup times dropped from 4 minutes to 15 seconds! :cool:

Last edited:
Anyone else catch the audible "F*ck!” at the very end of the video? :oops:
One caveat. If you recalibrate the IMU, if you don't do it with a very cold Phantom, your future warmup times on all flights could take several unnecessary minutes. After recalibrating mine with an air conditioning cooled P3P, my warmup times dropped from 4 minutes to 15 seconds! :cool:
Yes I must admit I followed this guys, IMU calibration method and my warm up time has increased
by minutes, if I re calibrate the IMU from a cold start, will this solve the problem.

Yes I must admit I followed this guys, IMU calibration method and my warm up time has increased
by minutes, if I re calibrate the IMU from a cold start, will this solve the problem.
Absolutely! Put the Phantom, without a battery in it, in front of an AC unit while cooling a battery next to it for 15-20 minutes. The colder it gets, the better. Have the transmitter already on, connected to the tablet, in the app on the calibrate IMU screen. Level out the surface for the calibration perfectly. As soon as the P3 is done getting really cold, along with the cold battery, insert the battery, place it on your level surface, and turn the battery on, and hit Calibrate IMU! Should drop "Warming Up" time from 3-4 minutes to 15 seconds, even better than new!:cool:

Did the cold IMU calibration, now the aircraft will not connect to the app/RC, someone please help.

Everything now okay, turned everything off, waited a few minutes, fired everything back up and everything connected, also the aircraft warm up time, took a few seconds, as opposed to a couple of minutes.

As much as some people here advise to not use a refrigerator before doing an IMU calibration -- as a former high-level ski-race timing official (working with lots of electronics and cameras at below-freezing temperatures), I like it.

Refrigerators are NOT below freezing. They are not that moist. They're the same temperature as Vermont or Colorado on a late fall day!

I get everything else ready first, then I put my P3P in a plastic bag in the fridge for 35 minutes (with no chip or battery), then take it out leaving the bag on for just a minute or so.

Then do the IMU calibration (not frequently, but only after an upgrade or bump, etc.) on a perfectly level (using a carpenter's level) table.

Flawless flights! No warm-up time at all!

I live in Atlanta with no other decent place to chill it. In the fall I will try the balcony at night. But this summer, even the nights are too hot! :)

Last edited:
And for Android users, the Google Play store now has a newer version of the Go App than the DJI website. That's a first!!

The new version is 2.0.1.

It's worth updating, because it does another (even more current) firmware update on the RC.

And for Android users, the Google Play store now has a newer version of the Go App than the DJI website. That's a first!!

The new version is 2.0.1.

It's worth updating, because it does another (even more current) firmware update on the RC.
Its autoupdating the remote now too?

Its autoupdating the remote now too?

Yes. This latest Android GO app version (2.0.1) did. It flew fine without the very-latest RC firmware update. But before each flight, the app signaled its availability.

So when I got home, I followed the directions, and clicked a couple of times -- and got the new RC firmware via the GO app 2.0.1.

But keep in mind, all this was after updating to the GO app 2.0.0 and the latest firmware from the DJI website.

So bottom line -- the very-latest app is on the Google Play Store, and the very-latest RC firmware comes from the app -- neither of which are indicated on the DJI website.

I'll take it for another couple of flights this afternoon and report back. I've had no connectivity or flying problems at all during this process so far.

Last edited:
Perfect flights this afternoon with the latest-latest RC firmware and Android GO App 2.0.1. That makes one P3P-firmware update, two RC-firmware updates, and two Android app updates in one week! Yikes!

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20