Updated to 1.4, do I calibrate IMU and compass?

Actually, I sometimes build and adjusts helicopters of which IMU are not black boxes ;-), and I think I know how mag compass & IMU works. P3 maybe different from them, but I can estimate. As a result, I don't think we need IMU calib until character of sensors change - but firmware version up may be a reason (forget former values), or change of motors, etc. Compass calibration is not needed if parts of P3 is not magnetized, changed mag sensor, or angle of attack of magnetic center to the ground drastically changed (i.e. big trip on latitude). And I BELIEVE while flying they're calibrated always.
DJI don't say neither DO nor DON'T (except long trip of aircraft), so I BELIEVE, neither "don't calibrate" causes incomplete adjustment of IMU, nor "calibrate" breaks unbroken P3, won't occur. Both DO or DO NOT are right, IMO. :)

Actually, I sometimes build and adjusts helicopters of which IMU are not black boxes ;-), and I think I know how mag compass & IMU works. P3 maybe different from them, but I can estimate. As a result, I don't think we need IMU calib until character of sensors change - but firmware version up may be a reason (forget former values), or change of motors, etc. Compass calibration is not needed if parts of P3 is not magnetized, changed mag sensor, or angle of attack of magnetic center to the ground drastically changed (i.e. big trip on latitude). And I BELIEVE while flying they're calibrated always.
DJI don't say neither DO nor DON'T (except long trip of aircraft), so I BELIEVE, neither "don't calibrate" causes incomplete adjustment of IMU, nor "calibrate" breaks unbroken P3, won't occur. Both DO or DO NOT are right, IMO. :)

Yes but the difference is that if the bird before the firmware update was flying very well, calibrating imu or compass you can make it fly bad or in the better case you can make it fly as before. If flyes not so good, i agree is the right thing to do to calibrate everything.

My values are all fine, so I did not calibrate anything after the firmware upgrade. Test flight last night was super stable.

Will it give me problems calibrating my IMU inside on level surface. I have always done it outdoors, but the temp. outside is 95 F. I see other pilots are putting their phantoms in the fridge to cool them down. Have an air-conditioned home at 68 F.

When some of you say "It's recommended by DJI", can you also provide source? To me, if DJI recommends calibrating IMU, RC, gimbal after every update, the recommendation ought to be in the How to Update Firmware document that's distributed with the firmware download.
In fact, they did create just that and posted it to their website:

DJI Forum|Guide: Phantom 3 Firmware 1.4.0010/1.1.0030 Update

It recommends calibrating IMU and everything else after the update. Whether it is necessary I'll leave for debate, but it is recommended.

That's just somebody's post on the forums. Where does DJI say it?

That's just somebody's post on the forums. Where does DJI say it?

Thanks for pointing it out as some people may not be aware that it is not an official post by DJI. It does not look like the poster is a DJI employee.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Humm.....after this update, my P3A when using right stick to foward, doesn`t fly on a straight line...

I did came from 1.1.9. and it was rock flying. Also, this new last update seems to me, that the P3A gets to much nervous and impredictable....

Thanks for pointing it out as some people may not be aware that it is not an official post by DJI. It does not look like the poster is a DJI employee.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I sure thought it was, so thanks from me, too. I'd swear I've seen that from dji somewhere else, but don't know where.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik