Updated to 1.4, do I calibrate IMU and compass?

Reaction score

I just did my first flight on the weekend and did the IMU calibration (and compass) so I was going to do them again because the new firmware.

I know the 100km rule with the compass but figure it's no hassle to redo it after the firmware. The IMU takes a bit longer but I'd rather be 100% everything is ok.

I just did my first flight on the weekend and did the IMU calibration (and compass) so I was going to do them again because the new firmware.

I know the 100km rule with the compass but figure it's no hassle to redo it after the firmware. The IMU takes a bit longer but I'd rather be 100% everything is ok.
*** I read online a while ago that said anytime you do a firmware upgrade to do an IMU/Compass Calibration. That's just the info I read.

Recalibrate compass and IMU and controller after every update. Takes only minutes and ensures a safe start up and initial control. I always check the compass sensors before each flight to ensure they are in normal range even if I haven't moved a great distance since last takeoff. Flyaway so take longer to fix than a recal does

It is recommended by DJI. Think about ways to protect your warranty.

You may have control issues if you don't calibrate the IMU. DJI also recommends a gimbal calibration upgrade following and IMU calibration.

I haven't done the controller calibration. Any pointers on doing this?
go to the RC settings-->>RC Calibration---> Calibrate (then follow on screen instructions, make sure you do the gimbal wheel also)

Agree. I've ever did IMU calib only once when VPS become unstable. Even I didn't do compass calibration after 4000km of moving, but after I flew near strong magnetic field.
Depends, i usually calibrate the compass when i move far from the last take off place. For "far" i mean at least 200-300km or when i move from the sea level (where i live) to the mountains (1500mt+). Or like you wrote if happens. On my P2V+ i've calibrated twice the imu when i saw the bird not rotate perfectly on itself. Many people here that do imu calibration imo make things worst not better. If imu calibration is not done as it should be, moreover than a waste of time is an handicap for the follow flights...

When some of you say "It's recommended by DJI", can you also provide source? To me, if DJI recommends calibrating IMU, RC, gimbal after every update, the recommendation ought to be in the How to Update Firmware document that's distributed with the firmware download.

Will it give me problems calibrating my IMU inside on level surface. I have always done it outdoors, but the temp. outside is 95 F. I see other pilots are putting their phantoms in the fridge to cool them down. Have an air-conditioned home at 68 F.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic