Updated firmware to 1.8 for third test flight , first time over water

Reaction score
Hey all I was filming my third ever flight since getting my P3standard. I know I'm moving left and right to fast just in the camera view just trying to get my bearings . Updated firmware from in the box 1.5 to 1.8 via the Dji go app 3.1.2 on iPhone 7 . Not terribly exciting and no sound but thought I would share anyhow .

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

I did not have any issues prior to updating , I figured best time is a month into warranty lol . I only get my personal best a little over 1000 feet away and 279 elevation as the max is 300 here in Canada

Well done, if this is your first drone. You updated your firmware, flew over water, didn't throw it into a tree and got your first footage. Cheers.

Reactions: Dragonwar
Good work bro, ill tell ya that's a nice video but with a touch editing and some music it would be an excellent video :)

Reactions: Dragonwar
I did not have any issues prior to updating , I figured best time is a month into warranty lol . I only get my personal best a little over 1000 feet away and 279 elevation as the max is 300 here in Canada

I was beginning to think I was one of the few owners who gets only a limited range. On the weekend for the first time, travelling in one direction, I achieved a flight distance of about a 1000 ft.
I have ordered the Argtek range extender, as flying in a built up area gives constant intereference warnings.
Anyway more importantly great brave first video!

This range difference between people is certainly and strange / interesting subject.

This is one of my 1st flights with my phantom. It has the latest firmware and was in a fairly open field. I was however getting a strong interference warning. I managed 1400ft but I also have the max distance set at 1400ft in the DJI App. So if I changed that I'm confident it would have gone further.

I wonder how altitude plays its part in this? Im sure ive read higher altitudes can give better signal strength?

Last edited:
This range difference between people is certainly and strange / interesting subject.

This is one of my 1st flights with my phantom. It has the latest firmware and was in a fairly open field. I was however getting a strong interference warning. I managed 1400ft but I also have the max distance set at 1400ft in the DJI App. So if I changed that I'm confident it would have gone further.

I wonder how altitude plays its part in this? Im sure ive read higher altitudes can give better signal strength?

Altitude plays a big part, ease it up once you start losing signal until it comes back and repeat. My record with a windsurfer was 1800m at 200mtrs altitude. Before I get hammered, I was flying in the Philippines in a clearing in the jungle. Great experience.

Hey Dragonwar, how's things on the island?
Don't forget that 300ft (90m) limit is only a recommendation from Transport Canada not an actual rule as yet. You are a good distance from Nanaimo airport so pushing your altitude up to 400ft shouldn't be too much of a problem. Do you see much light aircraft traffic around there? Floatplanes out of Nanoose bay?
How was your video/control strength when you were out to 1000ft? I have been out to 350m at 50m altitude here in the valley and still had good signal on both.

I'm good thanks Gbmarsh64 there are no float planes in Westwood as per no boats with gas either . I never see much traffic here . My video signal never cut out at all . Control was fine too . Just get the usual " strong interference detected be careful flying long distances " after the 1.8 update but otherwise flies and does what it should .

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobDan