Updated Firmware = Super Hot Gimbal

Reaction score
Something I just noticed and wanted to share. I just finished updating my P3P to 1.3.20 and noticed that the Gimbal was very very hot to touch. Extremely hot. Never noticed this before. Anyone else experience this? Is it normal? I am assuming it is, but just figured I would check in with you all.

Did you remove the gimbal clamp when updating?

Yeah there was no gimbal clamp. Haven't put it back on such I purchased it, although I probably should when it is not in use.
Yeah, otherwise we might lose it. ;) I'm with you!
I think the struggle to put it on properly after flying and then remove it before flying actually stresses the gimbal more than letting it roll around, unless you are going to roll it around inside a suitcase over cobblestones!

Mine got hot, too. These things are air cooled, and much like a motorcycle, if they aren't flying/moving, they aren't cooling. I wouldn't worry about it, unless we get daily updates! Once a month for 10 minutes won't hurt it.

There is a small fan on the pro make sure nothing is keeping that fan from spinning

Yep, noticed mine got hot too when updating, but don't normally fly for 25 minutes without any airflow around the quad/gimbal. Just upgraded from a P3A to P3P and noticed out of the box gimbal fan was a lot noisier, but seems to have quietened down now after about and hour of flight time. Hopefully not a bearing issue.

There is a small fan on the pro make sure nothing is keeping that fan from spinning
Does that fan spin upon merely turning on the battery, or only upon powering up the props? Where exactly is it, and how can you see it to make sure it is spinning?

Something I just noticed and wanted to share. I just finished updating my P3P to 1.3.20 and noticed that the Gimbal was very very hot to touch. Extremely hot. Never noticed this before. Anyone else experience this? Is it normal? I am assuming it is, but just figured I would check in with you all.
Previous post on this.....direct a room fan on it to keep it cool while updating, heat will destroy electronics faster than anything.

Reactions: bobmyers
Yeah, otherwise we might lose it. ;) I'm with you!
I think the struggle to put it on properly after flying and then remove it before flying actually stresses the gimbal more than letting it roll around, unless you are going to roll it around inside a suitcase over cobblestones!
It is really not a struggle, if you study the process-- an roll the Phantom over on the right side when putting it own. It is a killer trying to figure it out the first time.:D:D:D

Reactions: skyhighdiver
Does that fan spin upon merely turning on the battery, or only upon powering up the props? Where exactly is it, and how can you see it to make sure it is spinning?
I believe the fan starts when the Phantom is powered on-- pretty hard to detect the spinning-- it is on top of the gimbal base on the right side while facing the front of the Phantom. The biggest cooling factor on the Phantom is the props turning, but of course, you don't want that going on when you are updating-- so you take the props off. The extra external fan is a great idea!

Found the tiny fan on top of the plastic plate to which the camera assembly attaches. After the battery is turned on, it spins up within 20 seconds or so. You can see it spin up with a flashlight. Great suggestion of using an external fan during updates. Might even put it near the AC next time during the update, in preparation for the IMU calibration after. I have arrows and notations all over my gimbal guard to put it on correctly, but that isn't the issue. To install it properly, it still needs to be put on with enough force to secure the tiny part at the top over the alignment aid, by pushing it tightly against the gimbal. Similar pulling force is needed to remove it. If you transport the P3P gently in the backseat of your car, in a case which is only held horizontally, the gimbal sustains less torque than the installation and removal of the gimbal guard requires. For any other travel, it's worth the effort, though. Is there any warning, in the app, during power up that the gimbal guard has not been removed, if you forget to do so, like the one warning you that no micro SD card has been inserted?

Found the tiny fan on top of the plastic plate to which the camera assembly attaches. After the battery is turned on, it spins up within 20 seconds or so. You can see it spin up with a flashlight. Great suggestion of using an external fan during updates. Might even put it near the AC next time during the update, in preparation for the IMU calibration after. I have arrows and notations all over my gimbal guard to put it on correctly, but that isn't the issue. To install it properly, it still needs to be put on with enough force to secure the tiny part at the top over the alignment aid, by pushing it tightly against the gimbal. Similar pulling force is needed to remove it. If you transport the P3P gently in the backseat of your car, in a case which is only held horizontally, the gimbal sustains less torque than the installation and removal of the gimbal guard requires. For any other travel, it's worth the effort, though. Is there any warning, in the app, during power up that the gimbal guard has not been removed, if you forget to do so, like the one warning you that no micro SD card has been inserted?
You will get a gimbal motor overload error, if you don't remove the gimbal lock. Most put a red Remove before Flight Tag on the gimbal lock to as a reminder -- it works very well and you wont forget to remove it because it is about 6 inches long. Just not a good idea transporting it without the lock

Reactions: skyhighdiver
You will get a gimbal motor overload error, if you don't remove the gimbal lock. Most put a red Remove before Flight Tag on the gimbal lock to as a reminder -- it works very well and you wont forget to remove it because it is about 6 inches long. Just not a good idea transporting it without the lock
Thanks for the clarification. I did forget to remove it once on my 2nd flight, way back when, and only noticed because I was clearly flying in FPV mode instead of Follow on the video feed! I'll try and heed your advice about transporting with the lock and getting a bright red Remove Before Flight tag. Just one more part to keep track of in the field that I certainly don't want to lose!:cool: I also have a huge label on the frame of my Air 2 "Is Video ON??" from two terrific flights where I forgot :eek:, and have no footage, mostly due to the 4 minute warm ups, before the cold IMU calibration. The 15 second warmup makes it easy to do everything at once, and not forget! Preflight checks now don't have a 4 minute interminable wait period!:D

It is really not a struggle, if you study the process-- an roll the Phantom over on the right side when putting it own. It is a killer trying to figure it out the first time.:D:D:D
Thanks for the tip about rolling the Phantom onto its right side when putting it on! Just tried that, and that makes it so much easier!:D:D:D

Reactions: bobmyers
Previous post on this.....direct a room fan on it to keep it cool while updating, heat will destroy electronics faster than anything.

True, and good idea, but.... We are solving a problem which shouldn't exist. Why not have the firmware upgrade process start by removing power to the gimbal, GPS, and any other non needed electronics?
This way, electronics will be protected and less battery power would be used throughout the upgrade, giving an additional benefit of allowing for a longer upgrade process without the battery draining.

Thanks for the tip about rolling the Phantom onto its right side when putting it on! Just tried that, and that makes it so much easier!:D:D:D
That is a great tip. Aside from that I recommend the following:
(1) Spray paint the DJI gimbal lock with orange, yellow, or green florescent paint - the plastics type sprays work great; NOW you will SEE the doggone thing!
(2) Mark the brightly colored gimbal lock with an arrow matching something/a mark on the gimbal.

....or, order a nice flexible lens cap/gimbal lock to replace the DJI lock.

That is a great tip. Aside from that I recommend the following:
(1) Spray paint the DJI gimbal lock with orange, yellow, or green florescent paint - the plastics type sprays work great; NOW you will SEE the doggone thing!
(2) Mark the brightly colored gimbal lock with an arrow matching something/a mark on the gimbal.

....or, order a nice flexible lens cap/gimbal lock to replace the DJI lock.
I've already got little notes written with a fine Sharpie in every visible surface of the clear one, letting me know which side goes where! I'd hate to lose those! ;)
However, a nice flexible lens cap/gimbal lock to replace the hard plastic DJI one sounds appealing. Which one do you like best?

I've already got little notes written with a fine Sharpie in every visible surface of the clear one, letting me know which side goes where! I'd hate to lose those! ;)
However, a nice flexible lens cap/gimbal lock to replace the hard plastic DJI one sounds appealing. Which one do you like best?
The plastic lens cap and lock is a nifty idea---and a lot of folks use this... however, I cant used one because my ND filter from Rage Cams fit on the outside of the camera lens-- where the lock/lens cap go. I still do it the old fashion OEM way.

The plastic lens cap and lock is a nifty idea---and a lot of folks use this... however, I cant used one because my ND filter from Rage Cams fit on the outside of the camera lens-- where the lock/lens cap go. I still do it the old fashion OEM way.
Maybe someone else, who has one they really like, can suggest one. Anyone?

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adrie